Well, I'll start off by saying that despite some huge ups and huge downs, when I look back it's been a pretty decent decade. What started the decade as a nine year old, wrestling and pokemon crazed, pre-pubescent, unconfident lover of comics ended the decade as a nineteen year old, sex crazed, drunken metalhead (who still hasn't kicked his love of comics).
I've broken bones. I've seen the sights of New York and the countless prostitutes and shoe shops of Madrid. I've learnt guitar tunes ranging from Metallica to Cat Stevens, Justin Timberlake to High School Musical hits. I've worked at a cinema for the minimum wage, and am still flyering for one of Bristol's best clubs. I've made it to university, started a course in film, got a four bedroom house. I've met the late David Carradine, Yngwie Malmsteen, Sepultura and my lovely girlfriend. I've watched Mick Foley wrestle and moshed out to some of my favourite bands. I've drank far more Dr Pepper and Jagermeister than what my dentist would appreciate. I've had my leg shaved, ran around halls in just my boxers, almost got stabbed with a kitchen knife trying to protect a cardboard cutout of Vanessa Hudgens. I've been to weddings, funerals, gigs and festivals. Hell, I've even completed Halo 3 on legendary mode.
Take this as just a sample to the things I could be bothered to sort out chronologically. I've probably missed out some stuff I love but hey, there's always the edit button. Hope ya like fools. Let's hope my third decade of existence is even better! If I do think of something else then I'll add it, but for now I'm still quite poorly, so this will bloody do! Oh and a merry god damn christmas!
1. Tool w/Russian Circles - Manchester, August 2007
An outstanding gig, I was obsessed with Tool at this point and this was a rare (and expensive) opportunity, and though Russian Circles didn't particularly capture my eyes and ears, I cannot express how great Tool were and how desperate I am to see them again!
2. In Flames w/Sepultura & Dagoba – Birmingham, March 2006
Well, it was my first gig (and maybe the reason why my hearing ain't that good). Seeing Sepultura (who are perhaps my favourite band ever) was a dream come true, even without any Cavaleras. In Flames were also fantastic of course, and Dagoba.. uh... well let's not mention those guys
3. Ministry w/Slaves To Gravity – Wolverhampton, June 2008
Ministry's final UK date, ever. A pleasure to see them, they will be missed!
4. Slipknot w/Machine Head & Children of Bodom – Birmingham, December 2008
Never been much of a slapnuts/children of boredom fan but how often do you see my wrist without representin' machine head? Yeah, they were rather terrific.
5. Bolt Thrower w/Benediction & Beholder – Birmingham, August 2009
Oh how my neck hurt.
6. Soulfly w/Incite & Mindless Torture – Wolverhampton, February 2009
Seeing Max Cavalera on my 19th Birthday seemed almost like a gift from god – I was starstruck! However he threw a water bottle at me the moment he got to the stage, so I had to cling on to it for an hour and a half – one day I shall clone him!! Soulfly, hugely underrated.
7. VAST w/Scanners – Birmingham, April 2008
But speaking of underrated – anyone who has listened to Vast (or atleast his earlier works) will explain how amazing he is. Terrible venue, but I'm still wearin' the hoody!
8. Opeth w/Paradise Lost – Birmingham, November 2006
Probably the best I've seen Opeth, punching your insides with walls of sounds. Sadly on the other hand it's not the best I've seen Paradise Lost and l love those guys as well! Still, no complaints!
9. Lamb of God w/Dimmu Borgir, Unearth, 5FDP – Bristol, February 2009
After a usual painstaking journey back to my current homeland, I had a few swigs of birthday Jager and headed to the centre. I was obsessed with Five Finger Death Punch when the debut album came out, and even Dimmu Borgir were better than anticipated! Hope to Varg that I get to see LOG on the 2010 tour!
10. Megadeth w/Job For a Cowboy & Evile – Birmingham, February 2008
Even the shitty, shitty, crapfest of diabolical noise that is vomited out by Blowjob for a cowboy couldn't stop Megadeth (and a great opening by Evile) from being a gig to remember!
Bonus: Type O Negative W/Paradise Lost & Zico Chain – Birmingham, June 2007
Perhaps the most memorable gig I've been to. Zico sucked, Paradise Lost, awesome. Type O Negative? An hour and a half late? Bottles thrown everywhere and Peter Steele had an asthma attack. Shit son. Even a christian extremist tried to condemn us all in the queue. Tough times!
I wont go into so much detail here as that took a bloody long time! But here's my favourite albums of the decade!
1. Opeth – Blackwater Park (2001) 2. Tool – 10,000 Days (2006) 3. A Perfect Circle – Thirteenth Step (2003) 4. Machine Head – Through The Ashes of Empires (2003) 5. Blind Guardian – Live (2003) 6. Muse – Absolution (2003) 7. Nine Inch Nails – With Teeth (2005) 8. Rodrigo y Gabriela – Rodrigo y Gabriela (2006) 9. Five Finger Death Punch – Way of the Fist (2007) 10. Apocalyptica – Apocalyptica (2005)
This was rather annoying to compile considering so many of my favourite movies came out in '99 (Fight Club, American History X, Toy Story 2 etc etc)
1. The Dark Knight (2008) 2. Anchorman (2004) 3. Memento (2000) 4. Pan's Labyrinth (2006) 5. Phone Booth (2003) 6. Lord of the Rings Trilogy (2001-2003) 7. Spirited Away (2001) 8. Watchmen (2009) 9. The Departed (2006) 10. Rush Hour 2 (2001) [honest]
TV shows (though I hardly watch any)
1. Arrested Development (2003-2006) 2. Death Note (2006-2007) 3. Metalocalypse (2006-) 4. Family Guy (1999-) 5. Dexter (2006-) 6. Curb Your Enthusiasm (2000-) 7. Prison Break (2005-i don't give a shit, but first season was THE BOMB) 8. Monster (2004-2005) 9. Whose Line is it Anyway [USA] (1998-2006) 10. The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (1999-)