The Megaman X series continues with Megaman X8. Once again, Megaman will team up with Zero, Axl, and friends in a 2D and 3D environment to stop the evil Sigma.
Megaman X8 features a combination of side-scrolling 2D and 3D gameplay. The game is composed of many different levels, which can be played in any order (except the introduction and ending levels). Bosses will guard each stage, giving away certain weapons when beaten that will power up certain characters.
- Three playable characters with varying strengths and special abilities
- Mega Man X - Equipped with his trusty charge shot
- Zero - A master of short range attacks with the ability to double jump
- Axl - Armed with a spread shot weapon and hovering skills
- Enhanced tag team action
- Switch between two characters at any time to effectively defeat enemies
- Rescue change - Standby character can provide backup support when the main character is caught in enemy clutches
- Double attack - Attack enemies to fill up a special gauge and unleash a powerful two-player simultaneous attack!
- Recovery gauge - Health gauges for standby characters refill according to how well the main character performs in battle
- Combo counter - Recovery items are only available when dropped by enemies; defeating multiple enemies in a row will increase the combo counter and the rate at which enemies drop these special items
- Three Navigator types - Pick a Navigator at the beginning of a stage; each offers a stage strategy, an enemy strategy or story supplements
- Collect "metal" from defeated enemies - Use as building blocks for valuable power-up chips
- Ability to use weapons obtained from defeated bosses
- Multiple story endings and hidden items
This game is also known as Rockman X8 in Japan.