The sequel to the highly acclaimed Shogun Total War, the game asks players to reshape the history of the Middle Ages through a combination of epic real-time 3D battles and turn based empire building. Massive in scope, but intuitive in implementation, Medieval Total War urges players to take control of one of twelve world powers as they attempt to rewrite history through a mixture of trade, diplomacy, resource management and wars of conquest.
The strategic part of the game puts you in charge of the fate of a faction - an emerging people or nation - the English, the Germans, the Egyptians etc - on the world stage. Here, you can plan your grand campaign to take over Europe and the Mediterranean, build castles, recruit armies and manage the diplomatic and dynastic affairs of your royal house. In addition to armies, you'll have spies, emissaries, holy men, and assassins to help you bring your schemes of domination to a successful and triumphant conclusion. You'll have to think in medieval terms about warfare, about positioning your royal family through marriage and alliances, about keeping your peasants profitably content, and about how to do down your rivals, using a blend of war, trade, diplomacy, dynastic entanglements and good old-fashioned dirty tricks!
- Epic 3D battles with over 10,000 troops, and hundreds of battlefields from the lush farmland to the arid deserts.
- 12 playable factions including the English, French, Danes, Poles, Russians, Spanish, Italians, along with Muslim Almohads, Egyptians and Turks, plus the Holy Roman and Byzantine Empires!
- Spectacular sieges, as you pound castles into dust with cannons, catapults and ballistae!
- Over 100 different unit types including knights, men-at-arms, crusading orders, fanatical ghazis, the famous English longbowmen, and many more.
- Rich and involving strategy game, with 90+ provinces to conquer, and a detailed technology tree.
- Historical characters including El Cid, Frederick Barbarossa, Richard the Lionheart, Saladin, Joan of Arc and even Robin of Locksley (Robin Hood)!
- RPG-style character development, including an innovative Vices and Virtues system.
- Historical and Custom battles: when you've finished playing the supplied famous battles and done better than the heroes of history, you can create your own!
- Multiplayer mayhem: go online and defeat up to seven human opponents over a LAN or Internet connection.
- Battle replays: save your greatest victories, and enjoy them all over again!
- Battlefield Editor: create your own battlefields to fight across, and add to the hundreds already provided.