Mario Kart DS User Reviews
~Fun environments and music have the feel of a Mario game - goofy and flashy entertainment.
~Long list of stuff to unlock, including new characters, karts, tracks and tournaments.
~Minigames are just as fun as racing, and both can provide some sort of reward.
~Wifi mode allows players to race against their friends no matter where they are as well as complete strangers.
~No matter if you're a new Mario fan or have been one for a while, you can understand how to play the game.
~Great lasting value makes this a game well worth its money.
~Players tend to quit races easily over Wifi, making the feature a bit frustrating to use. It's also hard to get players to race against in the first place.
~The slightly repetitive voices and sound effects can grate on your nerves after a while, especially if you aren't a hardcore Mario fan.
~Animation is Wifi mode is fairly jerky at times.
Mario's been a much-loved icon of gaming for the past twenty or more years, and both his arcade-style and racing games have been enormously popular. The DS version of the Mario Kart series is no exception. However, don't be afraid if the red-hatted Italian plumber isn't a major presence in your pile of games - this game is easy to pick up but extremely difficult to put down no matter what your prior experience with the series is.
By far, the main appeal of the game to fans and non-fans of Mario is the eye-poppingly bright environments and goofy effects. The game has tracks new and old, fr...
Online play via Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection
8 Different Grand Prix Cups
32 Playable Racing Levels
6 Balloon Battle + Shine Runners stages
50cc, 100cc, 150cc, and 150cc Mirror mode
Pick up Mario Kart DS and be prepared to shred some rubber! Mario Kart DS is the best Mario Kart for a Nintendo portable system.
Most of Nintendo's All-Stars, such as our favorite plumber, made it back into the Mario Kart series for at least one more race! Race as Princess Peach down your favorite courses from the past or your new favorite courses. Take part in different events, such as Battle Mode or Shine Runners. They also introduced a brand new Mission mode, where you have to complete certain events in a set amount of time.
This serves as the basic mode of the game. ...
- Tons of great characters to race with (13 in all, a few are unlockable)
- Ridiculous amount of karts for everyone to use
- Great audio/sounds in the game
- TONS of unlockables. I was so impressed by this, especially for a MK game
- 8 great cups to race in, with 4 races in each (32 new tracks in total); there are 4 main cups and then 4 cups with tracks from past MK games; lots of innovative and great tracks
- Pretty good graphics for the DS
- Great use of both DS screens. I was quite impressed at how useful both were. You can actually play the game using either screen, which is cool.
- Race online with people from around the world. I haven't tried this yet but it sounds like an amazing step for the series
- You can play multiplayer with computer players! So much fun and a great step for the series (in my opinion). Should be included in every game
- Edit the logo on your karts if you want to. Pretty cool little option.
- Great weapons to use. Some of the best choices of the series
- A bunch of different modes to choose from, including: Grand Prix, Versus, Multiplayer, Time Trials, Mirror Mode, and Mission Mode.
- Mission Mode is really fun, yet easy, but should be included in every MK game as something else to do when players get bored with racing. It really forces you to better your racing techniques to progress, which is awesome. The boss fights are especially cool for a MK game
- Two different race maps to choose from. Both are helpful, depending on where you are in races, and both also show different race positions of your opponents
- Each kart, which has different stats, will greatly affect your races, which is great to see. Slower karts are actually slower; some karts have better turning, etc. Kart selection is more crucial in this game, as it should be in all games
- The game takes a lot of great steps forward for the series, which is awesome to see. It is always great to see new things in new installments of a series
- As you go higher in Grand Prix cc classes, the racing gets much faster and your opponents get much more aggressive and challenging
- Going off the track has great consequences in the game, also a great thing to see finally
- What the heck is with Bones and ROB being characters? I found that so random. There were plenty of other choices for characters that would have actually made sense for the game. And why the heck is Shy Guy not a playable character at all times? That is just dumb.
- Multiplayer battle mode is really flawed. How is it normal that I die in one shot, but everyone else takes 3?
- The graphics aren't the greatest, but they aren't terrible by any means
- Mission Mode is too easy at times, but at least it gets harder
- I was not a fan of most of the tracks brought back for this game
- When you go off the track onto grass, sand, etc, the consequences are almost too great. You practically stop, instead of just slow down, until you get back on the track. Good addition, but almost too good. Gets quite frustrating on certain tracks.
- The games price. It's been out for 3 years and is still really high price-wise
It was inevitable that the Mario Kart series would end up on the DS, and thank god it was. It is probably one of the best games on the system right now, especially thanks to the online multiplayer addition. I purchased a DS somewhat recently, and was having a hard time deciding which games I wanted to buy first, so I was very happy when I went and got this game.
Everything is pretty much the same from past games of course. You choose one of 13 characters to race as (some being unlockable), choose your kart (tons to be unlocked), select a circuit, and partake in various fun races against a bu...
Wi-fi battle mode!
lot's of modes to play!
Wi-fi hackers! grr...
Can get boring after awile.
Well, to start there are lots of unlockables. You start with 8 standard characters: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Toad, and Wario! These characters can be used in every mode. There is a total of 12 characters though. The unlockable characters are Daisy, Dry Bones, Waluigi and R.O.B. Each character has a different weight class. The light-weights are Dry Bones, Peach, Waluigi, and Luigi. The medium-weights are Mario, Yoshi, Toad, and Daisy. Finally, the heavy-weights are Bowser, R.O.B., Donkey Kong, and Wario. Depending on a character's weight, it will take longer to accele...
**Tons of characters and carts
**Many unlockable tracks
**Wi-Fi (and DS to DS) racing
**Battles and Missions
**The little details
**Hackers through Wi-Fi
**Nothing much else!
Mario Kart DS is a racing game, but it's not all racing. You can race your way through tracks, try to beat your own (or a staff ghosts) records in Time Trial, battle a Balloon Battle or Shine Runners, race with a friend, do the Grand Prix tournament, or complete missions! There is much more to Mario Kart DS then just racing, and Nintendo has added more characters, tracks, battles, and ways to play then in Mario Kart 64. The gameplay for the original racing is to drive around the tracks, collecting and using items, and trying not to bump into things while maintaining a first, second or third...
- ~Good gameplay
~Incredibly long lasting
~Huge inventory of items and karts
~Smart choice of new characters
- ~Graphics are not superior
~Honestly not much else.
Mario Kart DS is a racing game based off the Nintendo legend Mario, and his buddies, including and not limited to Luigi, Peach, and Wario. Playing as a character from the Mario franchise, you race around various tracks that usually belong to certain characters (such as Mario Circuit) or aspects of previous games (such as Tick Tock Clock, Airship Fortress). Along the way, you can unlock several other characters from the franchise for you to play as. Each character has their own personal set of karts, starting with two karts, then three, then four other karts that belong to other characters, ...
- CHANGE American codes to European codes! (action replay) 26
- Snaking - Intellectual Discussion II 190
- Dry bones + Koopa Troopa 1
- favrite battle stages.... 13
- worst character and cart thread 7
- Lost!!!!!! 0
- panera = wifi? 16
- ASM Hacks 1
- Anyone still play this game? 9
- Unluckiest Moments(DS version only) 56
- 3 Star Rank Action Replay Code? 5
- Did anyone notice the Figure-8-Circuit Time in the Instruction Booklet... 0