In this strategy/RPG you play as Laharl, son of the late King Krichelvskoy, Overlord of the Netherworld, who actually died 2 years ago. However, you have been asleep both years and during your slumber the lords of the Netherworld have forgotten your existence. You must battle against these demons to reclaim your father's title. After winning the throne you still have other affairs to deal with. A quest featuring over 40 classes and a variety of items and weapons. Another Atlus cult classic.
Players engage in tactical battle with a maximum of 10 characters on the board at one time. Each character will either have weapon-based techniques (humanoid classes) or class-based techniques (monster classes). Each character is equipped with one weapon and 3 pieces of accessories. Characters can also make use of a "throw" option, which allows them to throw other people (enemies or allies) across the board, thus making use of alternate strategies.
- Over 80 total humanoid and monster classes.
- Items possess their own world, each composed of a 100 randomly generated floor dungeon.
- 14 episodes of storyline.
- 8 weapon types: fist, sword, spear, axe, bow, gun, staff, and monster-only.
- The Dark Assembly where players can propose new things such as increasing the difficulty of enemies.
- 5 extra maps to be completed in addition to the story episodes.