Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Soccer/A-League Discussion - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/95/t1786389-soccer-league-discussion/

Author:   Hell Fire
Date:   Nov 03, 12 at 12:05am (PST)
Subject:   Soccer/A-League Discussion
-------------------------------------------
Continued from: Here

quote J_ames
quote walnuts
Mooy picked the perfect game to play a MoM performance with Osieck in the stands. Absolutely bossed the midfield alongside Ono, and has been good all season so far. Deserves a call up to the Socceroos against South Korea in my humble opinion, gives us the much needed creative spark in the middle of the park and has been in great form for the last month or so (which is more than can be said for some of the Socceroos squad).

Wanderers look very good, defensively strong and coherent through the centre. If they can keep their supply of goals open, they'll win more than they lose this year. Hersi also looks to be a class player, caused Heart so much trouble down that right wing.
Agree with everything you've put in this post tbh. Mooy was really rated by Bolton, and they were playing him out wide most of the time 'cause they thought he was a bit small to be in the centre. He was earmarked as a future first-team player there, and for one reason or another he didn't stay. The reason changes with everyone you talk to, but we were told his agent had got in his ear about getting him to Ajax or PSV... Either way, I can't see him staying back here too long; he'll be back in Europe soon enough in my opinion.

Poppa has managed to turn two very average centre-halfs in Beauchamp and Topor-Stanley into a well oiled machine, whilst D'Appuzzo and Polenz have also proved to be two very solid players.

Author:   walnuts
Date:   Nov 03, 12 at 3:45am (PST)
Subject:   re: Soccer/A-League Discussion
Interesting result in Gosford, Mariners smacking Sydney 7-2 with McBreen bagging a hattrick.

Only saw the second half but holy shit, Mariners just tore them apart. I think that Rogic and Rose definitely need to be in the Socceroos squad against Korea, they offer so much that the national team needs. I'm even going to be bold and suggest that maybe even McBreen be a part of the squad. He's been in good form the last few weeks and is scoring goals (4 to his name so far this season) and frankly, how many other Australian strikers are in form for national selection? He's currently a maybe in my book, but if he keeps scoring in the coming weeks then he deserves a chance, despite his age. After all, we need to be winning games first and foremost!

Cracking game and some great goals. Looking forward to the Perth game and hopefully uncovering a few more potential call ups for the Socceroos (Goodwin is a possibility at this stage).

Author:   11kgm
Date:   Nov 03, 12 at 5:55pm (PST)
Twas a thrashing and a half

Porta is also banging them in, in the UAE or what ever god forsken country he is in might be another option

Date:   Nov 04, 12 at 3:26pm (PST)
A couple of articles this morning. Firstly, Ned Zelic warns not to put too much pressure on Rogic after his MoM display against Sydney FC, but does think he should be called up for the Socceroos this week (I agree!)

There is also a little post mortem on Sydney FC and how they need to pick themselves up to stop their season crashing down around them.

Date:   Nov 04, 12 at 7:53pm (PST)
The AFC U19 Championships kicked off last night and Australia defeated Qatar 1-0. However, before you lambast the team for ONLY winning 1-0, it should be noted that the Qatari keeper played out of his freaking skin last night, and when a player is on a fire then there is just no stopping them. Aussies dominated all night and were incredibly unlucky not to win by more. Anyway, first win is on the board. Next game is against Syria on Wednesday morning, which will hopefully cement our spot in the quarterfinals.

Bear in mind that the semifinalists in this tournament automatically qualify for the U20 World Cup in Turkey next year, so it's imperative we do well!

Date:   Nov 05, 12 at 1:43am (PST)
Where did Victory learn to play like this?

Date:   Nov 05, 12 at 3:11am (PST)
Well, a good win for about 70 minutes, and then we just completely ran out of puff and let the Phoenix right back in to it! Anyway, a good win by the team and a much needed one. All the goals tonight were excellent, and it appears that Melbourne have got that working. Celeski still a weak link in midfield whilst the back line was exposed at times. However Finkler and Flores showed outstanding teamwork in the midfield tonight, with Finkler playing his best game for the club to date. Archie and Rojas are going to be beastly if they keep that up tonight, superb work,

All in all, a good win, but very worried that we let them get back in to it, albeit late in to the match. Hopefully we'll tear Sydney a new one next week :>!

Watching the Futsal World Cup and Australia has just scored two quick goals to go 2-1 up against Mexico. Exciting stuff, it's live on SBS TWO for anyone interested.

Author:   J_ames
Date:   Nov 05, 12 at 12:21pm (PST)
Wouldn't go as far to say that Celeski is the weak link, he just needs Ange to get the stupid pass attempts out of his game. Celeski when he was with us could play those balls over the top and was amazing attacking-wise, but when he moved to you under Ernie; Ernie broke him :<! That being said, I was impressed with you lot last night, though I do think Coe should have done better with the freekick, either by placing his wall better or his positioning personally. Not taking away from the strike of course, but I'm definitely of the thought that he could have done MUCH better than that. Diogo Ferreira needs to stay in the starting lineup by the way, produced a much better display in 1 night than Matthew Foschini has in 2 seasons D:

Date:   Nov 05, 12 at 7:06pm (PST)
I think we'll have to agree to disagree on Celeski, I think he is a donkey that is keeping Jeggo out of the starting lineup. Bench player at best. That said, I do agree with Ferreira, he looked VERY comfortable at right back last night, and as result the whole team looked more comfortable.

Also, it's nice to see Del Piero in Melbourne on a, eh, 'scouting mission' ahead of this Saturday's clash

Looks like he's an official guest of Lavazza. Being the good Italian he is, I'm sure he enjoys the odd espresso. At least he's not laying in to the booze, always good to see. Looks like Mrs Del Piero is enjoying herself too :>!

Oh, and the ACL final is on this Saturday too, live on Fox Sports 3 from 8pm. Pity it clashes with the Victory game, but certainly will be flicking between it throughout the game.

Date:   Nov 06, 12 at 3:21pm (PST)
Socceroos squad to be announced at 10:30am AEDT

Interesting to see who makes the cut and who doesn't.

Date:   Nov 06, 12 at 3:55pm (PST)
Socceroos squad has been announced for the Korean friendly:

Socceroos Squad

Eli BABALJ
Aziz BEHICH
Alex BROSQUE
James HOLLAND
Mathew LECKIE
Ryan McGOWAN
Matthew McKAY
Lucas NEILL
Tommy OAR
Tom ROGIC
Nikita RUKAVYTSYA
Mathew RYAN
Adam SAROTA
Mark SCHWARZER
Matthew SPIRANOVIC
Archie THOMPSON
Michael THWAITE
Carl VALERI
Luke WILKSHIRE

An...interesting squad. Not as progressive as I would've liked, but certainly some new players in the mix. Babalj, Rogic and Behich all get their first call ups whilst other youngsters such as Holland, Oar, Sarota and Leckie are all expected to lay claim to a starting berth for the national team. Absolutely gutted that Mooy wasn't selected, has been far more consistent this season than Rogic has...deserves to be in the centre of the park dictating play. Unfortunately it looks as though Osieck will persist with *bleep*ing Carl Valeri in the centre of the park :<!

Twitter is live tweeting the conference over here. Interesting to read Holger's comments.

Thwaite was a bit of a left field choice, but I'm pleased with it. Has been good for Perth this year so he should show a bit. Will probably come off the bench though, along with Archie. Looks like the East Asian Games qualifiers will be the chance for the local boys to shine.

Author:   Chelskiman
Date:   Nov 06, 12 at 4:28pm (PST)
Would have liked to have seen Mooy as well. Would have rathered Goodwin or Rose over Behich too.

Date:   Nov 06, 12 at 4:33pm (PST)
quote Chelskiman
Would have liked to have seen Mooy as well. Would have rathered Goodwin or Rose over Behich too.
Goodwin for left wing, Rose for left back but agreed, thought they have been much better.

Date:   Nov 06, 12 at 5:01pm (PST)
How did the lad Bejbji or what ever it is get in, been barely playing

Yet kruse and porta both miss out

Author:   Euphoric
Date:   Nov 06, 12 at 5:08pm (PST)
Rose misses out again? What the hell does he have to do to get a look in? Valeri over Paartalu as well? I know he hasn't been in the best of form but I would like him to get a chance at that level sooner rather than later. Or he'll go the way of Rose.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.