Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: All clear given to Great White hunting - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/95/t1771296-all-clear-given-to-great-white-hunting/

Author:   Hell Fire
Date:   Oct 05, 12 at 10:35pm (PST)
Subject:   All clear given to Great White hunting
-------------------------------------------

quote Care2.com
Source
So why is the Western Australian government planning to hunt and kill them?

On September 27, Western Australia state premier Colin Barnett announced a new “shark mitigation plan to protect beach goers.” There have been 12 shark fatalities in the region over the past century; five of these happened this year and have prompted the government to take action. As Barnett said to reporters, “We will always put the lives and safety of beachgoers ahead of the shark. This is, after all, a fish — let’s keep it in perspective.”

The government’s plan provides $6.85 million in funding for the tracking, catching and “if necessary, destroy[ing of] sharks identified in close proximity to beachgoers, including setting drum lines if a danger is posed.” Additional funds are to provide for a trial shark enclosure, a research fund, a shark tagging program that would involve real-time GPS tracking, more jet skis for rescuers and more helicopter patrols of beaches.

Naturally there's going to be a huge outrage. What do you think about this? I knew someone who was recently killed by a shark on the WA coast a couple months back. Apparently lots of surf spots have less than half the people they used to a few years back due to the insane number of shark attacks and sighting.

Is it okay to kill them? They were there first after all. But by that logic, it would be okay for Aboriginals to throw a spear through anyone with white skin. I don't know about killing them, but I wish there was some sort of technology that could emit a huge pulse and keep all sharks away.

Author:   11kgm
Date:   Oct 05, 12 at 10:44pm (PST)
Subject:   re: All clear given to Great White hunting
I can't beleive they would do that so inhumane

Author:   BullFish
Date:   Oct 05, 12 at 11:54pm (PST)
If it truly is to protect and help swimmers/surfer/beach goers, then I can't object. I do wish there was a better way to do it, though.

Date:   Oct 19, 12 at 12:40am (PST)
Haha, I'm reading a facebook page about it. People can be so hypocritical Comments like "It's their home" (Most of which are misspelt by morons as THERE home). and "do they come on the land to kill us?"

Jesus, we've been killing animals all our lives. How many fish have we eaten? Kangaroos, rabbits, foxes and a crap load of others. These animals are cute and don't hurt us, yet no one has a problem with slaughtering these little guys for food (or to protect food).

So animals that eat our crops are okay to slaughter, but animals that murder us shouldn't be touched?

I really don't understand this.

Author:   Chelskiman
Date:   Oct 19, 12 at 1:06am (PST)
To be fair, it is their habitat. We know the risks every time we go into the water. They are just doing what is natural for them, so if they see something swimming in the water they are naturally going to investigate. I think if they're spending all this money to track down the sharks then there's no need to kill them as they should just be able to relocate them.

I have the same opinion on crocodiles. They are cold blooded killers, but if we go swimming recklessly in their environment then it's no surprise that attacks happen. I'd rather relocate animals away from areas in which humans may be active than mercilessly kill them.

Date:   Oct 19, 12 at 2:30am (PST)
This was the Aboriginals habitat long ago, and they were hunters, so by spearing us, they were also acting naturally. Same with Foxes, they attack livestock on farms, doing what's natural, but no one cares about culling them on sight. I just don't get why it's sharks all of a sudden.

We kill and eat squid all the time. It's their territory, what choice do they have? We're invading their waters. Hell, if there was a Kraken roaming around, everyone would be jumping on the 'Lets kill the Kraken' facebook page.

Author:   Chelskiman
Date:   Oct 19, 12 at 2:37am (PST)
quote Hell Fire
This was the Aboriginals habitat long ago, and they were hunters, so by spearing us, they were also acting naturally.
I didn't say it wasn't natural for them. Every species defends it's own territory and hunts for food in one form or another. I just think there can't be the one option for this, with that option being the mass slaughter of sharks, just because they are swimming a little too close to where we are swimming.

Author:   Ace3000
Date:   Oct 19, 12 at 7:04am (PST)
What the hell is THIS bullshit? The sharks don't know any better and, as Chelskiman said, it is their habitat, we are intruding it. Also, we are basically killing an endangered species.

Dear Government: Why are you such retards?! Spend your money on something else. Just tag the sharks, don't kill them. You don't have the death penalty, yet you would freely kill an endangered species that attacks people who intrude their habitation. What the *bleep*?!

Oh, and by the way, I am not a Vegan/Vegetarian, but I think this is ridiculous.

Date:   Oct 19, 12 at 7:28am (PST)
They're not endangered. No one has been able to get an estimate of their numbers (as they're too hard to track). I certainly don't think they should be culled just yet, they need to look for more effective methods. It's just the uproar in WA all of a sudden. It makes no sense. Why complain about saving people from a species that will rip you apart without a second thought, when no one has ever complained about the culling of thousands of other species?

Humans have always invaded animals habitats from harmless species, killing many in the process, so why complain now about killing sharks that pose a threat to innocent humans? Should we all just stop going to the beach? Is human life less important? How many people have to die? Should we also stop planting crops so we don't have to kill rabbits in their habitat?

What about people in Alaska who are employed to shoot wolves that come a certain distance to towns? There's no problems killing them in their habitat. But sharks, can't kill them, they're in the water.

Author:   Jesus
Date:   Oct 22, 12 at 1:49am (PST)
The same people who oppose this shit no doubt put out ratsack when theres rats in their house. If you wanna talk about inhumane, lets talk about ratsack. I'm agreeing with brent on this one.

Author:   hiigaran
Date:   Nov 02, 12 at 8:05am (PST)
Subject:   All clear given to Great White hunting
Ace3000, the article does say IF NECESSARY. its a pity, but theres nothing else that can be done. try telling people to stop swimming at beaches. its not going to happen.

honestly, i dont see the point to tracking them. if they are hard to track as it is, and we have no idea of their numbers, how do we know if this tracking would be anywhere near effective? it might just be easier to shoot on sight. its a cold thing to do, but...i dunno.

i really dont know if i can agree with this or not.

Date:   Nov 03, 12 at 12:02am (PST)
Tracking has helped in the past, but as you said, it's impossible to tag every Great White so that's the obvious flaw in the plan.

I think that maybe the hard fence would be a good idea for popular areas. Maybe they could run out 50 meters or so, and run along the shore about a km. This would protect swimmers and not screw with the eco-system too much (until fish start to realise that they're safe past the fence lol). This of course, wouldn't help out surfers at all.

Date:   Dec 02, 13 at 1:41am (PST)
Teenager mauled to death in second fatal shark attack in Australia this week

They're still attacking! It's only getting worse!

The idea of culling sharks was tossed around again, and rejected again. It's only a matter of time in my opinion.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.