Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Happy Mask Salesman Theory - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/879/t1519455-happy-mask-salesman-theory/

Author:   SilverAntari
Date:   Apr 28, 10 at 3:10pm (PST)
Subject:   Happy Mask Salesman Theory
-------------------------------------------
Note: This is a theory that I've been researching for a while now. I came up with the theory myself, but it's very possible that someone else also came up with it.

When you played Majora's Mask, have you ever find the Happy Mask Salesman a bit weird? Sure, he strangles Link and has an almost permanent grin on his face, but have you ever wondered if he has a secret intention?

When you first meet the Happy Mask Salesman, he tells you the Majora's Mask was stolen from him by an imp. What if, instead of the mask being stolen, the mask was given or sold to the imp? This may sound unlikely, but bare with me...

How exactly does the Happy Mask Salesman get the masks he sells? Does he buy them? Make them? What if he stole them?

Clock Town is a town filled with masks. Masks which the Happy Mask Salesman could sell. What if he made a plan to get every single mask in Clock Town?

By giving/selling the Majora's Mask to the imp, the evil of the Majora's Mask was unleased and Clock Town was going to be crushed by the moon. In order to stop it, Link had to get all 4 giants. While doing this, he was bound to pick up a number of masks.

When you get to the moon you will see 5 children. By speaking to the kid with the Majora's Mask, you can start the fight whit Majora. But by speaking to the other children, you have to do a mini-dungeon.
After completeing the mini-dungeon, the child will then ask you to give him some masks.

The children on the moon look a LOT like the Happy Mask Salesman. What if the children were working for the Happy Mask Salesman in order to get him all the masks?

I know this all sounds crazy and unlikely, but it does explain why the children on the moon look like the Happy Mask Salesman.

Notes:
- The Happy Mask Salesman is crazy. This may be why he would do all this just for masks.
- The Happy Mask Salesman thinks the Mask of Truth is "Frightful". Possibly because he's worried it'll know his plan?
- This entire theory sounded WAY better in my head.

Author:   InabyamaCastle Guard
Date:   Apr 28, 10 at 5:47pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Happy Mask Salesman Theory
Ya, he always seemed shady to me. I'm not sure where he gets his masks, but I doubt he makes them and I'm sure he acquires them with questionable methods - after all, Link gets his best masks when he sees someone die, then seals their souls within the mask.

Also, the mask salesman seems to have mastered a fair bit of magic himself, as we saw with the disappearing. Surely thats not the only thing he can do. I'm of the mind that he had many more abilities, but didnt expose them. When he's leaving at the end, he doesnt mind letting Link see that particular trick, cause he IS leaving after all.

Looking at the suspect in that picture, his clothes seem so strange. The scheme and design of them look a lot like a mix between the Gerudos, Sheika, and Majora's Mask itself. Your theory makes me think hes some sort of Anti-Sage.

If your hypothesis is right, it'd explain how he got that Mario mask - he killed the original Mario, the one we all know and love, and created a cheap clone, which is why every Mario game after MM was such an embarrassment.

Date:   Apr 28, 10 at 8:16pm (PST)
When I read your first paragraph, Inabyama, you reminded me of something - The Happy Mask Salesman was the one who taught Link the Song of Healing.

Why does he know a song that can trap souls in masks?

Date:   Apr 29, 10 at 7:25am (PST)
Song of Healing, my arse! Hes a murderer!

Told ya he had lots of magic tricks

I like your theory btw, its very thought provoking. Which is exactly what MM threads should do

Author:   Dark Silver
Date:   May 01, 10 at 5:04pm (PST)
quote InabyamaCastle Guard
Ya, he always seemed shady to me. I'm not sure where he gets his masks, but I doubt he makes them and I'm sure he acquires them with questionable methods - after all, Link gets his best masks when he sees someone die, then seals their souls within the mask.

Also, the mask salesman seems to have mastered a fair bit of magic himself, as we saw with the disappearing. Surely thats not the only thing he can do. I'm of the mind that he had many more abilities, but didnt expose them. When he's leaving at the end, he doesnt mind letting Link see that particular trick, cause he IS leaving after all.

Looking at the suspect in that picture, his clothes seem so strange. The scheme and design of them look a lot like a mix between the Gerudos, Sheika, and Majora's Mask itself. Your theory makes me think hes some sort of Anti-Sage.

If your hypothesis is right, it'd explain how he got that Mario mask - he killed the original Mario, the one we all know and love, and created a cheap clone, which is why every Mario game after MM was such an embarrassment.
Agreed! In the Manga of it, he says something interesting:

"Heh heh... Looks like they're after the little demon. But this is when the real action begins! Once they bring me back that mask, I will no longer have a purpose in this world. I will scurry away quickly then! Heh heh heh heh..."

Date:   May 02, 10 at 1:41am (PST)
quote Dark Silver

Agreed! In the Manga of it, he says something interesting:

"Heh heh... Looks like they're after the little demon. But this is when the real action begins! Once they bring me back that mask, I will no longer have a purpose in this world. I will scurry away quickly then! Heh heh heh heh..."
Funny you should mention the manga. I actually went to the local book store for the first time today and I looked at the Zelda Mangas. I actually got the Majora's Mask one. Haven't had a chance to read it yet 'cause my brother's reading it and I'm busy reading Higurashi.

Also, are you my evil twin?

Author:   OzzieSlashFlea
Date:   May 09, 10 at 9:57pm (PST)
That's a great theory - however I can see some possible holes.
Skull Kid definitely stole Majora's Mask, as we see it happening through Tatl's flashbacks of their time together.
The children on the Moon resemble the salesman I think because that is the game's artistic graphical style, hence why Link looks so different from OOT. Lots of characters look like the Mask Salesman when you're thinking about it - it's all part of the Alice-in-Wonderland-esque surrealist design of the game.
I think the Salesman originally came from Hyrule, hence why he "knows" Link (god that sounds bad.... )

he killed the original Mario, the one we all know and love, and created a cheap clone, which is why every Mario game after MM was such an embarrassment.
Awww... Sunshine was an awesome game...

Date:   May 13, 10 at 3:08am (PST)
Maybe he escaped his mask-ish imprisonment for a bit.

I dunno if we can assume this is the same mask salesman or not. After all, a ton of character figures get reused in this game, Anju, the pale dude with the mohawk, Romani, and the Song of Storms guy just to name a few, but none of them are the same between games.

Also, its strange that A. his masks had no effect in the other game and B. Neither he nor Link makes any reference to the sign that they are already introduced.
Of course, those could just as likely be simple issues of necessary between-game transitions.

Author:   Triforce of Wisdom
Date:   May 13, 10 at 11:07am (PST)
He's probably an agent who helped Ganondorf in the first place. Now, just think about this for one second, and you will see that I'm right.

1) You meet him in OoT, he obviously has some emotional issues
2) You meet all the other townspeople again, EXCEPT the mask salesman. He has not made his shop again. *suspicious*
3) In MM, he just "happens" to be carrying an extremely empowered mask used in ancient hex rituals.

I will write more later; I have to go to school.

Author:   OzzieSlashFlea
Date:   May 13, 10 at 7:19pm (PST)

quote Triforce of Wisdom
3) In MM, he just "happens" to be carrying an extremely empowered mask used in ancient hex rituals.
Supposedly he had Majora's Mask to protect it - to make sure it didn't fall into the wrong hands. If he ever used it, he would've been corrupted much like the Skull Kid and the world would've felt the consequences.

Btw.... you got your Evanescence lyrics wrong....

Date:   May 13, 10 at 9:33pm (PST)
I know, but "Sweet ruptured light" wouldn't work, so I had to substitute, because of the character limit!

Now, in Majora's Mask, when the moon falls, you see the giant wave of fire and pretty much everyone is dead. HOWEVER the mask salesman is still alive!! He even knows what's happened.

Date:   May 14, 10 at 12:16am (PST)
What do you mean he lives?

I've never let the moon actually fall before.

Date:   May 14, 10 at 10:59am (PST)
The moon falls and it crushes Clock Tower. Then this wave of flames shoots out from the city. Link is standing in the dark, facing the Happy Mask Salesman.
The Mask Salesman says, "You've met a horrible fate, haven't you?" Even if you are regular Link.

Author:   Dxm2000
Date:   May 25, 10 at 10:28pm (PST)
Maybe he escaped his mask-ish imprisonment for a bit.

I dunno if we can assume this is the same mask salesman or not. After all, a ton of character figures get reused in this game, Anju, the pale dude with the mohawk, Romani, and the Song of Storms guy just to name a few, but none of them are the same between games.

Also, its strange that A. his masks had no effect in the other game and B. Neither he nor Link makes any reference to the sign that they are already introduced.
Of course, those could just as likely be simple issues of necessary between-game transitions.
The game majora's mask, is technically a game about Link ending up in an alternate dimension, right?

Date:   May 26, 10 at 12:19am (PST)
Well, thats one of the theories I've heard. Personally I think its just a place outside Hyrule.

Its not hard for me to believe that theres an expanse of land beyond the area surrounding Hyrule field.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.