Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: How to make a clipping mask in GIMP. - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/87/t1316647-how-to-make-clipping-mask-in-gimp/

Author:   Element
Date:   Feb 14, 09 at 3:52pm (PST)
Subject:   How to make a clipping mask in GIMP.
-------------------------------------------
I decided to make this tutorial because a lot of people don't know about clipping masks and using them in GIMP. Here we go:

Step 1: Go to File > New and choose any canvas size you want. Once that's open, go to File > Open As Layers and Click your stock. Name this layer stock layer.

(If you wish to resize this layer open your Layers Dialouge with CTRL and L and right click the stock layer. Choose layer and make sure keep proportions is selected. Choose the new dimensions. If it's too big or too small, go to Edit > Undo and try again, as scaling multiple times will result in a blurry stock.)

Result:

Step 2: Make a new transparent layer over your stock and make sure to duplicate your stock layer. On the new transparent layer, brush over the stock with a splatter brush. Don't cover the stock completely, but only get parts of it covered. The color of your splatter brushing doesn't matter.

Result:

Step 3: Now, open your layers dialougue again and right click your SPLATTER layer. Click on Alpha to Selection, then, go to Select > Invert at the top. Now, select one of your stock layers and click on Edit > Cut. Now, the parts of the stock you brushed over will appear in the shape of splatters. Like so: (When all other layers are hidden.) You can put them over your stock layer, or behind it, depending on what you want. Erase the parts that look bad.

(Quick example)

These can be used in signatures behind the stock or to bring out the background more. Clipping masks can also be used for fonts. Just put on a font over your focal like you would when brushing with splatters, and follow the same steps.

Now, here's an example of a signature using clipping masks:

Author:   The Answer
Date:   Feb 17, 09 at 7:09pm (PST)
Subject:   re: How to make a clipping mask in GIMP.
Nice tip.

You should show the banner before the "clipping mask" as well. Just a suggestion.

Author:   BadWolf
Date:   Feb 20, 09 at 2:15pm (PST)

Author:   Mouschi Chan
Date:   Mar 01, 09 at 5:28am (PST)
Thanks so much for making this. Before you posted this I had no idea how to make one.

Author:   Element
Date:   Mar 01, 09 at 12:00pm (PST)
Problem. I just learned about them awhile ago, and they can do alot, so I decided to post this.

Author:   Spiritual
Date:   Mar 05, 09 at 12:58pm (PST)

Author:   BadWolf
Date:   Mar 08, 09 at 3:57pm (PST)
quote The Answer
Nice tip.

You should show the banner before the "clipping mask" as well. Just a suggestion.

Author:   jezzzg
Date:   Aug 21, 11 at 8:07pm (PST)
could you tell me how to do this with text, as you can with photo shop in this tutorial (http://www.photoshopessentials.com/photoshop-text/text-effects/image-in-text/page-2.php)
thanks!

Author:   Empress Dowager Lu
Date:   Aug 22, 11 at 11:52pm (PST)
quote jezzzg
could you tell me how to do this with text, as you can with photo shop in this tutorial (http://www.photoshopessentials.com/photoshop-text/text-effects/image-in-text/page-2.php)
thanks!
It's the same technique. He even mentioned it in the first post ...

"Clipping masks can also be used for fonts. Just put on a font over your focal like you would when brushing with splatters, and follow the same steps."

Could help you in the future to read the entire post if you think you have a question to see whether or not the answer is actually there before asking it ...

Author:   johndrivs
Date:   Dec 23, 11 at 9:22am (PST)
Nice information.. Thanks for sharing...

Author:   SuzanH
Date:   Jun 18, 14 at 5:31am (PST)
Its an great information about the clipping mask and well use of it. This is exactly what I needed to know and worked perfectly for me... thanks

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.