Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: A Song of Ice and Fire series (George R. R. Martin) - page 4

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/83/t189832-song-of-ice-fire-series-george-martin/4.htm

Author:   Darknet
Date:   Jun 22, 11 at 3:22pm (PST)
Subject:   re: A Song of Ice and Fire series (George R. R. Martin)
-------------------------------------------
I started to read the first book after watching the first season. Only read a couple of pages so I can't say much.

Author:   Isilwen
Date:   Jun 25, 11 at 12:27am (PST)
Desperatley trying to avoid spoilers for the next few books so had to skim over these posts pretty quickly but just have to put in my two cents about the first book, A Game of Thrones.

Finished the first book a few days ago and just adored it! It took me a while to get into at first as there are so many characters and names to remember, I had to keep going back on myself to refresh my memory. But once I got into it, I couldn't put it down. I love the whole universe Martin has created and the characters are so well written. My favourite up to now has to be Arya, I've always loved tough female characters in a predominatley male atmosphere. I'm really liking the direction Jon is heading too.

I can't wait to get the next book asap. I'm so glad there's so much more to look forward to and I can't wait to see how all of the characters develop!

Author:   okumsup
Date:   Jun 27, 11 at 8:52pm (PST)
I just finished the first book as well, and I have to say my favourite is Jon so far.

However, I skimmed over the last page and I feel a lot of minor details just got spoiled for me, and I'm kinda upset about that.

But anyway, I'm going to watch the first season of the show this week, and hopefully pick up the second book as well. If it's anywhere near as addicting as the first I think I'll be just as hooked, even knowing those spoilers.

Author:   What Lies Beneath
Date:   Jun 28, 11 at 1:22am (PST)
I'm about half way through the second book now. It's a good read but I do find myself looking forward more to Jon and Tyrion's chapters, and less so to Bran and Sansa's. I guess I've got my favourite characters in my head already

Author:   Breeze
Date:   Jul 06, 11 at 12:38pm (PST)
Right, who has pre-ordered Dance with Dragons?

I finished my re-read of the series earlier this week, and am now barely concealing my boner at the prospect of DWD. Less than a week to go!

Author:   Mouldy Cheese
Date:   Jul 07, 11 at 12:08am (PST)
Just started reading the books as a result of the brilliant HBO adaption. That's not to say I wouldn't have read it otherwise...I'm a big lover of fantasy novels!

I think I'm about...60 pages in to Game of Thrones now. Enjoying so far :> It's a little creeepy! But it's good to see that a lot of the lines have been used in the show. Although they appear to have aged the characters a few years as well.

Author:   Breeze
Date:   Jul 11, 11 at 1:19pm (PST)
A DANCE WITH DRAGONS CAME EARLY ... AND SO DID I!

Author:   Existence
Date:   Jul 11, 11 at 2:03pm (PST)
Gonna get DwD as soon as the kindle version is up on the amazon store.

Date:   Jul 11, 11 at 9:11pm (PST)
quote Mouldy Cheese
Just started reading the books as a result of the brilliant HBO adaption. That's not to say I wouldn't have read it otherwise...I'm a big lover of fantasy novels!

I think I'm about...60 pages in to Game of Thrones now. Enjoying so far :> It's a little creeepy! But it's good to see that a lot of the lines have been used in the show. Although they appear to have aged the characters a few years as well.

Same. It is weird that they are much younger in the books than they are in the show.

Author:   Xaxas
Date:   Jul 12, 11 at 9:16am (PST)
Well, the Starks live in a harsh land, and the world is harsh to people. Also I would say that the actors are older then the characters they portray.

ALSO HOLY *bleep*ING SHIT DWD IS OUT! *bleep* YEAH SEA-KING!

too bad it will be like a decade till the NEXT one is released.

Date:   Jul 12, 11 at 4:14pm (PST)
quote Xaxas
too bad it will be like a decade till the NEXT one is released.
Thus why I'm sticking with the show and not going to read the books ahead of time. I figured if I watch the show every year, the next book will come out eventually.

Date:   Jul 13, 11 at 7:25am (PST)
Good plan, I honestly started reading them in anticipation of the first Dragon Age, which they said was influenced by it, to which I say, "eh(hand wiggle motion)".

Author:   tommex
Date:   Jul 13, 11 at 2:51pm (PST)
Just managed to find... a copy for my Kindle, so hopefully I can start reading today.

Date:   Jul 13, 11 at 5:20pm (PST)
quote Xaxas
Good plan, I honestly started reading them in anticipation of the first Dragon Age, which they said was influenced by it, to which I say, "eh(hand wiggle motion)".
The first Dragon Age took inspiration from A Song of Fire and Ice? I don't see it lol

Date:   Jul 14, 11 at 12:57am (PST)
Darknet nor did I once I played the game. I really only saw the influence in the Landsmeet and the Human Noble Origin. Over all it had little to do with even the tone of the books. So them saying it was inspired by it was a stretch.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.