Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: A Song of Ice and Fire series (George R. R. Martin) - page 2

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/83/t189832-song-of-ice-fire-series-george-martin/2.htm

Author:   gdog2011
Date:   Jan 13, 06 at 5:00am (PST)
Subject:   re: A Song of Ice and Fire series (George R. R. Martin)
-------------------------------------------
I got tired of waiting and just went out and bought it. I haven't even started yet, as I'm busy with Wizard's at War. Anyway, it was $28, which kind of sucked. =(

Author:   Botan
Date:   Jan 13, 06 at 5:09am (PST)
How many in the series are out right now? And what is the total planned? oO .. It sounds interesting. ^-^;

Date:   Jan 13, 06 at 5:32am (PST)
There are four out now, and I have no idea how many are to come yet. I'd say at least a few, but I haven't read the latest installment yet.

Author:   Koloth
Date:   Jan 13, 06 at 6:29am (PST)
Argh, I still haven't even cracked open book two yet. Unfortunately I have a lot less freetime to read since the EX left me. Interestingly abotu 2 months after my last post in this thread. And I never did finish Terry Brooks Novel.

Author:   Curt Connors
Date:   Jan 13, 06 at 9:38am (PST)
quote Botan
How many in the series are out right now? And what is the total planned? oO .. It sounds interesting. ^-^;
There are four out now as someone said-but in the Uk they split book three into two volumes for the paperback edition, no idea if they did that anywhere else but it could get confusing. The second half of this volume is tentatively due out this year but god knows how many there are going to be altogether. I'll say this for Martin though, there is a much tighter plot than Robert Jordan's stuff. I finished AFFC last night and there was a palpable sense of things starting to click together, and surprises unfolding for both characters and the reader. Lots of moments (for me anyway) where you go 'Ohh, that's what that was all about.'
Recommended but I think I'll reserve complete judgement until I've read the companion volume. If anyone wants to know the character roster or some spoilerless teasers then feel free to PM me, but I'll leave you with this.
The Church Militant

Author:   The Lord Of Shadows
Date:   Jan 13, 06 at 3:03pm (PST)
I'm just glad I have some other books to keep me distracted from the SOIAC Series for now. Book four is technically not yet complete, and thus i can keep my mind in denial about AFFC. Martin even said it would be better to read both together as one book (as it was intended to be; but had to be split up or we would have huge book that no publisher in their right mind would print anyway.)

Then there also is that fact that instead of splitting the book down the middle he simply devoted each to a different set of characters. The timeline may be messed up but here hoping I can read them as one book.

Still... I am tempted.

(ok Back to Gaiman and Mieville)

Date:   Jan 13, 06 at 3:25pm (PST)
quote The Lord Of Shadows

Then there also is that fact that instead of splitting the book down the middle he simply devoted each to a different set of characters. The timeline may be messed up but here hoping I can read them as one book.
Definitely would have been better as one book, but the thing was huge as it was anyway, You'd need a lectern to hold the damn thing up to read it. When you read the book you'll understand why he chose to split the book up the way he did. The middle of the book is just at that point where whings are starting to happen and it would have been a hell of an anticlimactic ending.

Author:   The Lord Of Shadows
Date:   Jan 13, 06 at 3:51pm (PST)
Yeah I know it would of been a beast of a book!

But that kind of would have been cool, just hauling that thing onto the bus one day to bust it open like a novel... (you'd look like and idiot but still... funny)

--

But I remember though Martin stating in an interview about the fact that to make the books readable as separate releases he had to split it that way...

Oh well can't complain.

well I canÂ… but it won't help any.

Date:   Jan 15, 06 at 12:27am (PST)
It is very readable, but that didn't stop me getting pissed off and going 'Where's Jon Snow, where?'

Date:   Mar 04, 06 at 6:52am (PST)
I finished A Feast for Crows a while back, but now I notice that some of you are talking about the book being split up? I don't know anything about that, so if someone could please give me the whole story, that'd be great.

Date:   Mar 04, 06 at 7:28am (PST)
Well, technically AFFC should have been the fourth book all on it's own. Martin wrote so much stuf however that he split the book in two, the next one covers the same time period, but contains all the characters who either didn't make it into AFFC at all, or only had very small parts (JOn Snow, Bran etc.etc.) It's a damn clever way to split up a book but still not as good as having the whole thing
The next one is 'a dance with dragons' and at the moment, it's due out February 2007 here in the UK so probably a few months earlier in the US.

Author:   Crocodylus
Date:   Sep 27, 06 at 8:25am (PST)
God, just recalling some of the plot twists and unanswered questions I still have in this series gets my heart all knotted waiting for book 5...

If only World of Warcraft didn't consume me so much, I might consider rereading them from the beginning. It's been awhile...

Date:   Sep 27, 06 at 10:10am (PST)
Judging by the last book, there going to be more new questions raised than old questions answered. Not to say that I'm not enjoying them, but it's so damn long between books....

Author:   Crocodylus
Date:   Sep 28, 06 at 8:02am (PST)
I'm most afraid that with all this time he has, he has a good chance to think up ridiculous twists about the R+L=J theory and blow this popular one out of the water.

Author:   Commander Sheppard
Date:   Jan 03, 08 at 11:14am (PST)
What theory is that? to be honest, i'm not sure if george knew where this series was going really when he started to write it. It seems to me hes just left himself with too many loose ends to tie up. Also im sure it said at in the afterword to feast that the second part was practically finished but that book was released nearlt two years ago! Any one know when its due out? god i do not mean to bitch and moan i love these books. they're much more interestingly written then stuff like Jordan( As in the female characters aren't all practically the same and everything is not written in a really bland way, which really undermines what otherwise would be some good ideas)
and fairly dark for a fantasy series. Sorry i've been wanting to get that off my chest for a while.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.