Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: eBooks - Death of the Printing Press? - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/83/t1600815-ebooks-death-of-printing-press/

Author:   walnuts
Date:   Dec 08, 10 at 10:22pm (PST)
Subject:   eBooks - Death of the Printing Press?
-------------------------------------------
In light of Google's unveiling of it's own online eBook store, to take on industry heavyweights Amazon and Apple, are we starting to see the beginning of the end of traditional publishing? Will our morning newspaper be delivered wirelessly every morning to our tablet or smartphone instead of having the paper boy? Will we be asking authors to 'digitally sign' our copy of their book? Will youngsters whip out their iPhone 7 to read the latest edition of Superman, instead of wondering if the newsagent has got the edition in yet?

Or, is it just smoke in the water, and both can continue to co-exist alongside each other for many years to come, much the same way home video was supposed to kill off live TV and cinema's all those years ago.

Do you use eBooks? Do you like them? Or are you unwilling to shell out the cost for a device capable of reading eBooks just yet (they are truly quite expensive at this point in time)?

What do you think?

Author:   Golden Miru warrior
Date:   Dec 09, 10 at 12:34am (PST)
Subject:   re: eBooks - Death of the Printing Press?
i posted on this a few pages back, and there have been other similar topics on this forum long ago.

i don't think anything's really changed. when it comes down to it, all those stores can develop their new industry as much as they want. people like me, who fall on the side of books, will continue to read them. the elderly and the frequent traveler, tech-savvy types might have their e-books, but the marketplace for them would be drastically different without the publishing industry. they'll coexist for a long while, and i can't say pages abandoned even if more people abandon them to go digital.

that said, this very discussion is still inside a computer world. it's a gradual process.

Author:   Twin_Master
Date:   Dec 09, 10 at 1:36am (PST)
I don't think it'd be the death. I work at a Book store and haven't had many people buying these eBook readers. A lot of people really still prefer the feel of a paperback to an electronic device when reading their books. I certainly do.

Author:   Duncan Idaho
Date:   Dec 09, 10 at 3:09am (PST)
reading books on your computer dramatically damages your sigth

Author:   Scott Cee
Date:   Dec 09, 10 at 11:35am (PST)
I like books.

Imagine a world where all anyone relies upon is digital media. It's all electronically stored, organised and retrieved. And then something happens, a virus or something. Everything is gone, wiped, deleted. Everything.

And that is why books are good.

Author:   Wo Daddy Wo
Date:   Dec 09, 10 at 4:34pm (PST)
My biggest complaint on the traditional paper book lies within the education system. Schools make money by selling books and they continually update books that don't need updating. Plus, you'll have an 80 lb High School girl that needs to carry 40 lbs of books around all day in her backpack. I'm certain that there will be day when kids only carry their e-reader to class and pull up whatever subject they need. Schools could still make the same money by selling the e-books as they do the traditional books. Maybe more because there is no need for overhead of employees, deliveries and a facility to sell them in. Good old book at night in bed can't be beat. School books need to go.

Author:   ViNCeNZo
Date:   Dec 09, 10 at 5:06pm (PST)
Totally agree with Wo here. eBooks are an ideal solution for schools, easy to access latest up to date stuff and definitely the weight thing.

Old farts like though cannot think of anything better than reading my book in a place I've carefully prepared.

Date:   Dec 09, 10 at 7:57pm (PST)
quote Scott Cee
I like books.

Imagine a world where all anyone relies upon is digital media. It's all electronically stored, organised and retrieved. And then something happens, a virus or something. Everything is gone, wiped, deleted. Everything.

And that is why books are good.
One could also argue that your physical collection is at the mercy of fire, flood or even just decay. Their is a possibility of losing your collection, no matter which way you look at it.

Author:   Wo Daddy Wo
Date:   Dec 09, 10 at 8:33pm (PST)
Can you imagine studying the assassination of John F. Kennedy and rather than just seeing a static image of the shooting you can actually click on direct link to the Zapruder film. The ideas are endless...

Date:   Dec 09, 10 at 8:53pm (PST)
It would be amazing, wouldn't it?

I personally have fully embraced eBooks. I've got quite a few novels and comics saved to my tablet PC.

Author:   Golden Miru warrior
Date:   Dec 10, 10 at 3:31am (PST)
the only thing about teaching children to learn on e-books is that the value of the printed word that we all accept might not mean anything to them after enough decades.

Author:   Scott Cee
Date:   Dec 10, 10 at 11:19am (PST)
quote walnuts
One could also argue that your physical collection is at the mercy of fire, flood or even just decay. Their is a possibility of losing your collection, no matter which way you look at it.
Granted, but it's not just me who has books. There are millions of the things all over the damn place.
Much harder to find and destroy every physical book in existence than it would be to wipe out digital copies.

Author:   Kaiba
Date:   Dec 10, 10 at 6:51pm (PST)
I think that the only real future for eBooks is school. If you can get all of your textbooks onto a small, lightweight device, it'll be godly.

Real books will always be around, and I will always read them.

Author:   Duncan Idaho
Date:   Dec 10, 10 at 7:25pm (PST)
quote Oblisk
I think that the only real future for eBooks is school. If you can get all of your textbooks onto a small, lightweight device, it'll be godly.

Real books will always be around, and I will always read them.
i belive it has so much more potential for example a real book like the hand of fatima is heavy and i carry it whenever i wish to read it, with an ebook version all i would need to do is grab the device select my book and start reading no extra weigth plus in school all one would have to worry is having the ebooks not leaving in your house the books you need for that day

Author:   Kaiba
Date:   Dec 10, 10 at 7:28pm (PST)
I just won't be the same.

See, if I go into a library or bookstore, I see tons and tons of books that I want to read. Just looking at them gives me the urge to just grab them and start engrossing myself in the story. I don't get the same feeling with eBooks.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.