Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Books & Lit General Discussion - Trilogy - page 6

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/83/t1508031-books-lit-general-discussion-trilogy/6.htm

Author:   Light Druid
Date:   Jul 03, 10 at 12:37am (PST)
Subject:   re: Books & Lit General Discussion-Trilogy
-------------------------------------------
Your post sparked a memory of this. Almost five years now, wow.

And this makes me wonder if he had already started on the novel itself, or if everything was still in the planning stages. If he already started some of it, I wonder if he is just going to put it off until the "land is fallow" as he put it.

Author:   Existence
Date:   Oct 14, 10 at 1:09pm (PST)
Any suggestions for a good fantasy series, something like Wheel of Time or Dark Tower? Doesn't have to be "medieval", sci-fi or alt. reality will do.

Author:   LillieBeeXD
Date:   Oct 14, 10 at 4:18pm (PST)
@ Existence Have you read the Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan? They're good, very magical.

Author:   Curt Connors
Date:   Oct 14, 10 at 10:53pm (PST)
quote Existence
Any suggestions for a good fantasy series, something like Wheel of Time or Dark Tower? Doesn't have to be "medieval", sci-fi or alt. reality will do.
Google Steven Erikson-Deadhouse gates, or just look for the thread in here. Best fantasy series I have read in years.

Author:   Mister MacPhisto
Date:   Oct 14, 10 at 11:14pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Books & Lit General Discussion - Trilogy
And of course this is where I suggest Zelazny's Amber Chronicles.

Author:   walnuts
Date:   Oct 15, 10 at 12:37am (PST)
quote Existence
I'd highly recommend the Iron Elf Trilogy by Chris Evans:

A Darkness Forged in Fire (Book 1)

Rejected by their own kind for bearing the mark of the Shadow Monarch, the Iron Elves chose instead to serve with the human armies of the Calahrian Empire, hoping through their dedication and discipline to wipe out the stain of their birth. Their reputation is legendary -- until their commander, Konowa Swift Dragon, takes it upon himself -- for the best of reasons -- to assassinate the Viceroy. Court-martialled and exiled to the forest he despises, his beloved regiment disgraced, dishonoured and disbanded, Konowa finds himself suddenly recalled and ordered to re-form the Iron Elves for one last reconnaissance mission. But the new Iron Elves are not at all the same as they were before, and the mission is a suicidal one, with more at stake than Konowa could possibly have imagined. For the Shadow Monarch and her allies have harnessed destructive forces with the power to tear worlds apart -- and those who bear her mark have a destiny greater than they know. So begins an heroic journey in the company of a motley band of misfits, rebels and outcasts, with a central character whose engaging, brilliantly realised blend of cynicism, dry humour, duty and anguish make him unlike any other in fantasy fiction.
The Light of Burning Shadows (Book 2)

Konowa Swift Dragon was once commander of the Iron Elves, the legendary Elven regiment of the human army of the Calahrian Empire. Now recalled from exile and disgrace, he is second-in-command of the reconstituted regiment -- a motley band of misfits who are elves in name alone. Konowa's destiny is to stand against the looming threat of the Shadow Monarch, whose destructive ambitions have called down an alien power from the stars and riven the land with all manner of ancient evils. The same Shadow Monarch whose tainted mark he bears...His quest leads Konowa deep into the desert wastes: the burning lands to which the original Iron Elves were banished. There he and his current companions must face trials beyond their imagining, to learn how to defeat the Shadow Monarch for all time.
Ashes of a Black Frost (Book 3 - released 1/7/2011)

I've found them to be quite a decent trilogy, and it's a different change of pace in regards to fantasy I believe. It challenges a lot of the stereotypes that have been applied over the years to fantasy characters.

Date:   Oct 15, 10 at 8:49am (PST)
Thanks for the suggestions! I just looked them up on wiki, they seem interesting. Will see if I can get any of them at the store.

Author:   Curt Connors
Date:   Oct 15, 10 at 10:43am (PST)
Oh I forgot to mention, Barbara Hambly's Darwath trilogy are also excellent but mostly out of print. If you have a second hand bookshop nearby then try and find them.

Date:   Oct 21, 10 at 7:51pm (PST)
Well, I managed to find Zelzany's books, the series Mac mentioned. I'll probably start reading them next week.

Author:   Daisy
Date:   Jan 21, 11 at 2:42pm (PST)
Have any of you read Philip K Dick's work? I am interested in checking some out but with some 44 titles I am not sure where to start, what to skip, etc. Suggestions?

Author:   Misty
Date:   Jan 21, 11 at 2:47pm (PST)
I've not read any of his stuff myself but I've heard good things about Eye In The Sky.

Date:   Jan 21, 11 at 2:57pm (PST)
Noted! Thanks! =)

Author:   Wo Daddy Wo
Date:   Jan 21, 11 at 3:23pm (PST)
COOL, skirts are in the book thread...

Author:   Misty
Date:   Jan 21, 11 at 3:41pm (PST)
Pants today so you can put the camera away, Wo.

Date:   Jan 26, 11 at 2:17pm (PST)

Ended up getting Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. They didn't have Eye in the Sky on the shelf, have to order it from another library.

Would have preferred to start with a PKD book that didn't contain a character or story I was already familiar with, to avoid preconceived notions of him, but it's good so far.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.