Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: AMD Radeon HD 7870 & 7850 Launch Review - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/17/t1719597-amd-radeon-hd-7870-7850-launch-review/

Author:   BlackLabel
Date:   Mar 05, 12 at 5:03am (PST)
Subject:   re: AMD Radeon HD 7870 & 7850 Launch Review
-------------------------------------------
Very nice review the card seems pretty good for the money. I have every faith that once Nvidia announces/releases rival cards AMD are in the position to lower these prices in accordance to current gen prices, so overall it doesn't seem too pricey although I can't blame AMD for taking advantage of early adopters while waiting for an Nvidia rival to hit..

I gotta admit I wasn't expecting the 7870 to be that powerful. I know typically the new mid-range card replaces the previous high end card, but normally it's a like for like swap. I was surprised when most tests put the 7870 between 14 and 20% faster than the 6970. That was a pleasant surprise.. I may have to do a little saving and get one of these though I am still cautious of what Nvidia are planning. I really don't wanna jump in and get a new HD 7series card only for Nvidia to release new cards that on all levels just destroy it. I guess as hard as it will be to wait I'll have to be patient..

Author:   leochan
Date:   Mar 05, 12 at 5:42am (PST)
Subject:   AMD Radeon HD 7870 & 7850 Launch Review
We finally reach the third stop in AMD's Southern Islands 28nm GPU tour which thus far saw us experiencing the power of Tahiti and Cape Verde-based Radeon cards. Now we prepare to face Pitcairn and the new Radeon HD 7870 and 7850 cards, which boast half or fewer total compute units compared to the HD 7970. Hit our review coverage of both cards to see if it means the initial Pitcairn offerings are only half as powerful as the higher-end cards.

[[article:3025]]

Author:   MasterCheat
Date:   Mar 05, 12 at 9:24am (PST)
I've been waiting for these cards to release since last year, and I must say looking at the benchmarks its like having christmas and your birthday rolled up into one. I can't wait to get my hands on one of these, but it will cause me some sadness to part with my 6850.

Author:   ashantiqua
Date:   Mar 10, 12 at 5:23pm (PST)
kinda sad performance relative to the gtx580.

new gen should succeed it by a healthy margin.

Author:   harbin
Date:   Mar 10, 12 at 5:55pm (PST)
quote ashantiqua
kinda sad performance relative to the gtx580.

new gen should succeed it by a healthy margin.
TBH I would've kinda expected that though, considering the 7850 and 7870 are the lower end of the higher spec gaming cards. I was surprised to see the 7950 and 7970 beat by 580 though.

I have noticed though that 7950s are getting cheaper in the UK, This one is £313, which was the same price my brother paid two month ago for a 6970.

Not quite sure on the reliability of the benchmarks, but the HD7770 has a lower score than the 6700.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.