Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: The National - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/75/t924511-national/

Author:   anluan04
Date:   Jun 21, 07 at 10:27pm (PST)
Subject:   The National
-------------------------------------------
quote wikipedia
The National is a Brooklyn-based indie rock band formed in 1999, by friends from Cincinnati, Ohio.

Influences range from Tom Waits to U2. The band's morose, self-deprecating lyrics are written and sung by Matt Berninger in a distinctive, deep baritone. The rest of band comprises two pairs of brothers; Aaron & Bryce Dessner and Scott & Bryan Devendorf. Padma Newsome, from sister band, Clogs, often contributes strings, keyboards, and other arrangements and instrumental flourishes.

The band's early gimmick was that the members had all given up good jobs to work on the project, because several of the members had participated in New York's dot-com boom in the late 90s. However, this is rarely mentioned in more recent biographical materials.

Their first self-titled album The National was released in 2001 on Brassland Records, a label founded by band members Aaron and Bryce Dessner, along with their friend Alec Hanley Bemis. It was this album that really launched the band's career, as they had done few live shows before its release. It was followed two years later by another album, Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers.

In 2005 the band quit their jobs and moved to a new label, Beggars Banquet Records, because the process of running their own label was becoming "too complicated" [1]. Their first album on this label, Alligator, was met with much critical acclaim and featured highly in "Album of the Year" charts in the LA Times, Insound, Uncut, and many other publications [2]. This album gave the band a lot more exposure, and many people mistakenly assumed that this was their debut release.

Their latest album, called Boxer, was released on May 22, 2007, and has also received a great deal of widespread critical praise [3]. The album features contributions from various guest artists including Sufjan Stevens.
Official Site

MySpace

I just recently got their latest album 'Boxer' and it's in a word Fantastic. I'm still a bit iffy with Matt Berninger's voice but I think it's winning me over.

Favourite tracks for me are 'Mistaken for strangers' 'Squalor Victoria' and 'Ada'.

Anyone else into these guys?

Author:   NeoConservie
Date:   Jun 21, 07 at 11:39pm (PST)
Subject:   re: The National
In all honesty I don't know that much about them, which I guess isn't that surprising since I'm not exactly submersed in the Indie scene.

I do know Fake Empire though. That's a good one.

Author:   Uncle Meat
Date:   Mar 25, 10 at 5:15am (PST)
HOOOOOOOOOLY SHIT ONE REPLY? AM I IN THE WRONG THREAD OR WHAT

Anyway new fapable track

http://stereogum.com/files/mp3/The%20National%20-%20Bloodbuzz%20Ohio.mp3

so yeah new album soon I'm pretty sure there are tons of national fans out there where are you guys

Author:   The Dave
Date:   Mar 25, 10 at 11:14pm (PST)
Don't worry Uncle M I'm here now.

Criminally low number of replies in this thread I agree - especially given how outstanding an album Boxer was. Much like Broken Social Scene I find that it's in the attention to detail that these guys excel. They're never going to be a band that creates instant fans but give them time and you can't help but be swept along by the integrity and intensity of their music. Nowadays all it takes is for the opening chords of Fake Empire to send a shiver down my spine.

Between Bloodbuzz and Terrible Love (below is their performance of the track on Fallon a couple of weeks back) it looks like High Violet is heading into similar territory.

Author:   BLinK0
Date:   Mar 25, 10 at 11:27pm (PST)
I think the new album comes out in May, soooooo excited of course. And I like the new song, good shit.

Author:   GregtheGreat
Date:   Mar 26, 10 at 12:59am (PST)
quote The Dave
They're never going to be a band that creates instant fans but give them time and you can't help but be swept along by the integrity and intensity of their music.

Funny that you say that cause upon first listen I'm already loving them. Was just listening to their Myspace tracks and I'm really digging them. They've got this nice gloomy but calming feel to them and the vocalist reminds me a lot of Ian Curtis.

Date:   Apr 20, 10 at 9:14pm (PST)
Yeah I figured you'd dig them as a Manchester Orchestra fan and if you're already won over then you're luckier than I was. Perhaps it was due to listening to them when my musical tastes were somewhat narrower but I wasn't all that impressed by Boxer when P4K & Stereogum were nattering on about it in 2007. Beginning of last year I gave it another listen and Matt Berninger's baritone vocals on Fake Empire just blew me away.

As for the new album it looks like it's Album Preview Week on the internetz as the band have announced that New York Times will be streaming the new album in full from Friday:

quote DrownedInSound
Another day, another leak, another pissed off band. This time round it's the much-loved The National with their new record High Violet. Again, to combat and counteract what they call 'a low quality leak', they've decided to let you listen to it before its release date.

The measure that they've taken is to give an exclusive stream to The New York Times from this Friday, April 23. On their official website the band say that they hope 'you'll take the time to hear the album at its intended level of quality'. Which is fair enough, really.
In a roundabout way I guess I'm rather grateful for the shitty quality leak you kids have all been downloading if it means the rest of us get treated to a free stream much earlier than intended.

Author:   Uncle Meat
Date:   Apr 21, 10 at 1:20am (PST)
Didn't even know it leaked, oh well stream here we come.

Date:   Apr 24, 10 at 9:38pm (PST)
Here's your free High Violet stream folks.

A really tough album to give a write-up without just typing 'wow' and calling it a day. Maybe it's due to having had Boxer on heavy rotation that past few weeks but this album had me captivated from start to finish. Yes it's a darker, mopier album than Boxer and yes, Terrible Love and Bloodbuzz Ohio apart there's not a sniff of a quintessential pop song among the eleven tracks. But give this album the time and space it deserves and you won't regret a second of the 48 minutes.

Highlights:

Terrible Love - Once the bedroom recording equipment quality intro comes to an end around the 1:40 mark the song soars.
Sorrow - One of the most heartbreakingly beautiful song's Matt's ever written.
Bloodbuzz Ohio - The most chart-friendly track, a solid plodding number cut from the same cloth as Fake Empire.
England - Another patient, slow-burner of a track. This time backed up by some of the albums' most luscious orchestration.

Author:   GregtheGreat
Date:   May 07, 10 at 3:55pm (PST)
The new album didn't really grip me tbh, not until I got to Little Faith which is probably my favourite track off it. After that it improved in my eyes.

Author:   Nel4Life
Date:   May 23, 10 at 2:51pm (PST)
Love the new album, probably my album of the year this far. my personal favorite track is Runaway. So stripped down yet so powerful.

Author:   Seventh Blade
Date:   May 23, 10 at 4:29pm (PST)
Matt Beringer's voice is sooooo sexy @_@

Date:   May 31, 10 at 1:46pm (PST)
Woo! Headered!

If ever there was any further proof needed that these guys are really something special you can catch the director's cut of their live, Red Hot fundraising Youtube show right here.

(and yes that is Sufjan Stevens on backing vocals)

Date:   Jun 27, 10 at 10:36am (PST)
Damn these guys killed their Glastonbury set.

Started a little slow but the closing double-shot of Fake Empire and Terrible Love sounds and looked immense. Click here for the BBC's footage and skip to 26 mins for the final two tracks.

Author:   Irish Gamer
Date:   Jul 23, 10 at 12:18am (PST)
These guys are playing Electric Picnic and I want to listen to some new bands, I'm picking these guys, if I like them I can wallow in more self-pity about not going to that festival, and if I don't, at least I can say "yeah well I don't like them anyway" and still cry about missing Wolf Parade and The Antlers.

So yeah, where should I start with these guys? Boxer??

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.