Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Arctic Monkeys - page 16

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/75/t585501-arctic-monkeys/16.htm

Author:   Daweii
Date:   Apr 12, 11 at 6:01pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Arctic Monkeys
-------------------------------------------
Alex Turner has gone on record a few times stating that there is no way the band can emulate the youthful naivety of their debut album and they don't want to try. They are much more content with evolving their sound each album than retreading their tracks.

Author:   lfc 2004
Date:   May 25, 11 at 6:40pm (PST)
Most of the new album seems to be available on youtube whether it be through the jools holland performances or other random vids. Can't really say how I feel yet, will need to get the proper album, I quite like Piledriver Waltz though, which turns out to be from an EP Alex did for the film Submarine. That one completely passed me by

Author:   Mocking Alvin
Date:   May 26, 11 at 12:03pm (PST)
'Don't Sit Down 'Cause I've Moved Your Chair' has intruiged me enough to get the new album, although i don't think i gave their previous effort (or any of their albums since their debut) more than the one listen.

Author:   djminkus777
Date:   Jun 08, 11 at 11:30am (PST)
I reviewed it:

I sucked it. And it's not what you're thinking. It's the new Arctic Monkeys album, “Suck It and See.” So yeah, I sucked it, and I saw. All that business of coming and conquering, I'll leave for another arena, but about the album—it's pretty good. How and why?

“Suck It and See” is new old-school rock and roll, hence the “Classic Rock” label it gets in the Genre column in iTunes. It's a little rough around the edges, as would be expected from said genre and said artist. But rather than energetic, as an album, it's mostly laid back. Not really intense or focused, but rather meandering and lazy. You can feel it in the vocals, the bass lines, the drums, and the delay-laden (delayden? Eh? Eeeh?) guitars. And I kind of like it.

If you check out the lyrics, you'll see that they're downright poetic. And I can really appreciate that.

What I appreciate slightly less is when artists don't fully take advantage of the variance in sounds and effects that modern sound technology offers. When an entire album features the same set of sounds, I take it as a little bit of sinful Sloth. And these guys are supposed to be monkeys. What gives?

Pros for lyrics and musicality, cons for laziness. I guess that gives us about a 3.8. Cheers!

Feel free to check the article out on thetunemusic.com when it comes out, probably tomorrow. But to avoid getting banned for advertising, I posted the full review here! Smiles. Frowns if it doesn't work and I get banned anyway.

Author:   K M
Date:   Nov 06, 11 at 1:32pm (PST)
Absolutely superb at Newcastle last night. Full of wankers though. The Vaccines weren't up to much.

Author:   Toby
Date:   Mar 01, 12 at 11:37am (PST)
For the record, I fully enjoyed the last two Arctic Monkeys' albums despite people thinking that they're not what they used to be but they're really not trying to be. Suck It and See was filled with old school rock riffs and vibes and it really suited Alex Tuner's (as always) genius lyrics.

...and for all of you who haven't seen, new single:

Awesome video; great song.

Author:   lfc 2004
Date:   Mar 01, 12 at 12:22pm (PST)
Really like the new song, I'm a fan of their newer stuff too can't say there's been an album I didn't love.

Author:   George2
Date:   Mar 02, 12 at 12:13pm (PST)
I lost interest in Arctic Monkeys once they released their 3rd album as they really changed their style but I quite like R U Mine?

Where is Jamie Cook in that video though?

Author:   Matten08
Date:   Mar 02, 12 at 5:14pm (PST)
Brillant song

that riff <3

Author:   Sprout
Date:   Mar 02, 12 at 7:27pm (PST)
Love the video for R U Mine. I'm not the biggest fan of their newer stuff but really liking this. I'm gutted I missed them live again

Author:   EricF
Date:   Apr 02, 12 at 10:52am (PST)
Just heard R U Mine (terrible song title) for the first time and I reckon it's easily their best song. There's a lot more to it than the majority of their older stuff so if the album follows suit I'd love to hear it all.

Author:   Matten08
Date:   Apr 02, 12 at 1:32pm (PST)
quote EricF
Just heard R U Mine (terrible song title) for the first time and I reckon it's easily their best song. There's a lot more to it than the majority of their older stuff so if the album follows suit I'd love to hear it all.
It's just a 1 off single mate

not going to be an album for a while they have said

Date:   Apr 02, 12 at 1:55pm (PST)
I suppose that tells you how 'well' I've been following them lately.

Date:   Jul 25, 13 at 7:51am (PST)
Just heard Do I Wanna Know? for the first time and it's a pretty good tune. It's straight up Queens of the Stone Age though - you can see the effect Homme had on the band while being involved on their last record and this new one.

Author:   Bollo
Date:   Jul 30, 13 at 4:54am (PST)
R U Mine? is actually going to be on their next album, so you were technically right EricF. Do I Wanna Know? is a great song though, even if I've heard it so many times now I'm getting a little bit bored. Humbug's the one that sounds more like QOTSA as well, there's a few on Suck It and See but Humbug's the one generally acknowledged to have the most QOTSA influence since it was produced by Josh Homme.

Seen these live twice very recently, Alex's stage presence is a million miles away from where it used to be, much better live outfit now then they used to be. Wish they'd change the setlist a bit more though.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.