Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Arctic Monkeys - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/75/t585501-arctic-monkeys/

Author:   Hybrid Star
Date:   Sep 10, 05 at 2:26pm (PST)
Subject:   Arctic Monkeys
-------------------------------------------

Arctic Monkeys are an English indie rock band from High Green, a suburb of Sheffield. Formed in 2002, the band currently consists of Alex Turner on lead vocals and guitar, Jamie Cook on guitar, Matt Helders on drums and backing vocals and Nick O'Malley on bass guitar, a position formerly held by Andy Nicholson.

Arctic Monkeys achieved chart success with their first single, "I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor", which reached number one in the UK Singles Chart. Their debut album Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not, released on 23 January 2006, was at the time the fastest-selling debut album in British music history, beating Oasis' Definitely Maybe. It remains the fastest-selling debut album for a group. It received critical acclaim, winning both the 2006 Mercury Prize and the 2007 Brit Award for Best British Album. The band's second album, Favourite Worst Nightmare, was released on 23 April 2007, sold over 225,000 copies in its debut week, and was nominated for the 2007 Mercury Prize. The group also picked up the award for Best British Album and Best British Group at the Brit awards in 2008.

Arctic Monkeys achieved their success through fan-made demo tapes and online file sharing. They were heralded as one of the first acts to come to the public attention via the Internet, with commentators suggesting they represented the possibility of a change in the way in which new bands are promoted and marketed. The band eventually signed to the independent record label Domino Records.

Musical style

Lyrics

The lyrics of Arctic Monkeys' singles often feature social realism as typified by "A Certain Romance", which comments on chav and indie culture; and observations of working class life, as typified by "When the Sun Goes Down", described as a "witty, poignant song about prostitution in the Neepsend district of Sheffield", Based on their lyrical style, Arctic Monkeys have been compared to acts such as the British rapper Mike Skinner of The Streets and earlier artists such as Morrissey and Jarvis Cocker, both known for their combination of observational lyrics and humour.

The lead singer, Alex Turner sings in a strong Yorkshire accent, typified by the contraction of "something" to "summat", use of "dun't" (and not "don't") for "doesn't", use of "were" instead of "was", the replacement of "anything" and "nothing" with "owt" and "nowt", and the use of Yorkshire dialect such as "mardy" for "grumpy, difficult, unpredictable". Their songs also include frequent references to popular culture both common and obscure; Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not includes references to Romeo and Juliet (the Shakespeare play is also referenced in the track "Only Ones Who Know" from the Favourite Worst Nightmare album), Roxanne by The Police,and Frank Spencer, from Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em, leading one journalist to describe the band as having a "camp retro-futurist fascination" for 1980s popular culture.
The Band:

Alex Turner - Lead Singer/Guitarist

Matt Helders - Drummer/Backing Vocals

Jamie Cook - Lead Guitarist

Nick O'Malley - Bass Guitarist

Thanks to scfc ftw mal for the updated information in this post.

Author:   Icey Squirrel Master
Date:   Sep 10, 05 at 2:49pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Arctic Monkeys
I went to their site and listened to "I Bet That You Look Good On The Dancefloor." It was good. I love the band name, by the way. ~_^

Date:   Sep 10, 05 at 3:27pm (PST)
I bet you do, sonny!

Author:   Revenger of Wastelan
Date:   Sep 10, 05 at 6:15pm (PST)
I have hear "I bet you look good on the dancefloor" and it's a really good song! i'll try to listen to more songs of them!

Date:   Sep 10, 05 at 8:11pm (PST)
You do it, mate!

Author:   Blue Streak
Date:   Sep 10, 05 at 11:34pm (PST)
Wow, I can't believe there wasn't a thread for these guys already! I love Arctic Monkeys, especially "Fake Tales Of San Francisco" and "Scummy". FTOSF is one of my most played tracks on my iPod at the moment.

I first heard about Arctic Monkeys about 6 months ago (I'm fairly up to speed but I'm sure loads of you out there heard of them before me) and I instantly heard the Libertines-esque sound to them and - since I miss the Libs - it got me intrigued. After listening to them a lot more, you realise they're not quite the same as the Libs, the main point being that they eschew the poetry and cut straight to the chase with their lyrics.

Really exciting band, can't wait for them to release a proper album!

Author:   Laura J
Date:   Sep 11, 05 at 11:35pm (PST)
Ooooooooh. I almost forgot they existed because I haven't heard anything new by them in a while. The highly infectuous Fake Tales Of San Francisco was my introduction. Like everyone else here, I miss The Libertines, but I don't know if I'd call the Artic Monkeys a suitable subsistute. They're fairly different bands in my opinion. But, if you like one, I suppose you have to like the other.

Author:   Sphinx
Date:   Oct 27, 05 at 3:07pm (PST)
I just made a thread on them when I suddenly found this in the index

Anywhoo, these guys are awesome, I Bet That You Look Good has stormed the UK charts which is awesome as it pushed all the manufactured pop shite off the number 1 spot.

I downloaded a bunch of tracks last week and they are all awesome, I really like Alex's lyrics they really do just talk about everyday stuff that everyday normal kids get up to rather than soppy overly emo stuff, or pimps'n'hoes gangsta rap or whatever, its just down to earth good music.

Author:   jonaldinho2004
Date:   Oct 27, 05 at 4:18pm (PST)
Wow, they are really good live

Author:   anluan04
Date:   Oct 27, 05 at 7:06pm (PST)
I'll have to listen to more of their material but I thought I bet you look good... is a bit overhyped. Good song and it has a good riff to it but't think it deserves the "best single of the year" tags it has been recieving. Still, good to see an indie group at the top of the charts although quite a few better indie songs have come out this year IMO.

Author:   Metallica Rocks
Date:   Oct 27, 05 at 8:49pm (PST)
I heard them for the first time today on kerrang radio, i heard i bet you look good on the dance floor, it was pretty good actually, i was surprised how much heavier they were than what i thought for an indie band.

Date:   Oct 27, 05 at 9:52pm (PST)
quote anluan04
I'll have to listen to more of their material but I thought I bet you look good... is a bit overhyped. Good song and it has a good riff to it but't think it deserves the "best single of the year" tags it has been recieving. Still, good to see an indie group at the top of the charts although quite a few better indie songs have come out this year IMO.
Yeah, I know what you mean, its a good track, but its not the best song I've heard all year...what a minute, it might be actually, I can't think of many other singles that are much better.

Anyways, I've been listening to their song Mardy Bum all evening and learning it on guitar, its another shamelessly catchy tune and its just (for lack of better words) really cool.

Author:   Dimitrios2
Date:   Oct 28, 05 at 10:46pm (PST)
i love 'i bet you look good on the dancefloor'.

it makes me dance.

Date:   Jan 06, 06 at 4:02pm (PST)
Album details:

The album 'Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not' will be released on the 23rd of January. The album will include a booklet of artwork.

1. The View From The Afternoon
2. I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor
3. Fake Tales Of San Francisco
4. Dancing Shoes
5. You Probably Couldn't See For The Lights But You Were Looking Straight At Me
6. Still Take You Home
7. Riot Van
8. Red Light Indecates Doors Are Secured
9. Mardy Bum
10. Perhaps Vampires Is A Bit Strong But...
11. When The Sun Goes Down
12. From Ritz To The Rubble
13. A Certain Romance

My mate managed to get his hands on a leak of the album online, I'm gonna wait till general release though, either way, its apparently absolutely class and I can't wait to get my mits on it.

Author:   Arctic Monkeys
Date:   Jan 09, 06 at 4:38pm (PST)
I love these guys! First song i heard of theirs was 'I bet that you look good on the dancefloor'

My fav song by them is 'Mardy Bum'

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.