Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Bloc Party - page 23

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/75/t510663-bloc-party/23.htm

Author:   GregtheGreat
Date:   Aug 11, 12 at 12:48pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Bloc Party
-------------------------------------------
Possibly. Octopus and V.A.L.I.S are very good too, but then I'm really loving the heavier side of the album with songs like Kettling, and We Are Not Good People which is just riff-tastic. Day Four is really quite epic though. Need a few more listens first to decide.

Author:   Mocking Alvin
Date:   Aug 12, 12 at 11:41am (PST)
Initial musings:

I really like a lot of it but i'll probably not listen to 'Coliseum' or 'We Are Not Good People' again on purpose, a bit too much for me (i plan to replace these two songs with 'Lean' and 'Straight Thru Cru' from the b-sides EP, particularly 'Lean' is amazing). Kettling is good though. Still love Real Talk and Day Four is awesome, prefer the back half to the opening tracks.

More listens shall be had.

Author:   Icedevil
Date:   Aug 12, 12 at 12:00pm (PST)
You guys are silly, quite clearly the best two songs on the album are the first two, So He Begins to Lie, and 3x3 (dem vocals omg). Day 4 is OK, bit too sappy and simplistic, Anathema does those kind of songs a lot better.

Author:   EricF
Date:   Aug 12, 12 at 12:18pm (PST)
Anathema really do perfect them sort of songs these days, but I really like Day Four. I've had people tell me they think it's boring, but my favourite Bloc Party songs are SRXT and So Here We Are, so you can see why I enjoy it.

Author:   The Shape
Date:   Aug 14, 12 at 6:49am (PST)
May just be my album of the year so far. Loving Real Talk and VALIS in particular right now, but the whole thing just keeps flying by.

Date:   Aug 14, 12 at 8:34am (PST)
Real Talk is actually great; Kele's vocals on the soft pieces are fantastic. Don't understand how you like 3x3 so much Icedevil. It's a good song, no doubt but the "no... YES!" vocals towards the end are quite annoying. Kele sounds like he's making love to himself.

Author:   GregtheGreat
Date:   Aug 14, 12 at 9:56am (PST)
3x3 is probably my least favourite from the album tbh. Just not really got that into it.

Author:   Matty
Date:   Aug 14, 12 at 1:00pm (PST)
I really like 3x3, Kettling, the second half of Coliseum (what is the first half?! Just sounds like a rip of Beck's Loser) and We Are Not Good People. The rest are either boring or a bit pointless. Octopus is a little catchy, but that and VALIS just seem very safe songs

Not feeling the Day Four love at all.

Date:   Aug 14, 12 at 1:31pm (PST)
quote Matty
I really like 3x3, Kettling, the second half of Coliseum (what is the first half?! Just sounds like a rip of Beck's Loser)
A riff from the second half is a tooootal steal from Hey Man, Nice Shot by Filter. 1:45 into this video:

Author:   Icedevil
Date:   Aug 14, 12 at 1:44pm (PST)
Speaking of Bloc Party stealing things from other bands, the whole of So He Begins to Lie, for some reason reminds me a lot of the Amplifier to me. Down to vocal hooks as well. Probably why I like it so much.

Author:   The Shape
Date:   Aug 14, 12 at 2:30pm (PST)
quote EricF
It's a good song, no doubt but the "no... YES!" vocals towards the end are quite annoying. Kele sounds like he's making love to himself.
that part never bothered me before but now you've definitely ruined it

Date:   Aug 14, 12 at 2:41pm (PST)
quote The Shape
quote EricF
It's a good song, no doubt but the "no... YES!" vocals towards the end are quite annoying. Kele sounds like he's making love to himself.
that part never bothered me before but now you've definitely ruined it
Haha, my apologies! I heard it on the treadmill today and I was almost cringing.

Author:   Sprout
Date:   Aug 18, 12 at 4:08am (PST)
When Octopus came out I was pretty underwhelmed. I didn't not like it, it was just pretty meh. But after a few listens I really liked it. Day Four I thought was instantly great. One of the best on the album. I've only listened to the whole album a few times but I'm really loving Truth, Real Talk, Kettling and So He Begins to Lie

Author:   Wilhelm Ryan
Date:   Aug 19, 12 at 7:55pm (PST)
I'm in love. <3 I've been hearing about Bloc Party since I joined Neo. I've seen a lot of Bloc Party all over, a lot of mentions of them in other forums as well. I'm going to guess there's quite a big fan base on Neo. Regardless, finally, I started listening to them. Helicopter is great, as is Octopus and This Modern Love. I want the new album. I haven't listened to anything off of it, but I can already tell I want it.

Also saw a picture of the lead singer wearing this shirt. I want it.

Author:   Toby
Date:   Aug 20, 12 at 11:18am (PST)
3x3 is actually one of my most liked songs on the record. At first I had a similar opinion to Eric on the lyrics but after more listens I really like it.

overall I'd probably give the album a 6/10. Fair play for coming back from the atrocity that was Intimacy but after 4 years that really wasn't going to be too hard.

also, why the hell are the vocals mastered lower than the everything else? Pshhh

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.