Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Bloc Party - page 11

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/75/t510663-bloc-party/11.htm

Author:   screamingabdabs
Date:   Jun 13, 08 at 2:52pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Bloc Party
-------------------------------------------
I really like The Prayer. It's a kind of song I could get drunk too with some mates. It has a great club vibe. However, their cover of Umbrella is sucky.

Author:   Woo1234
Date:   Jun 13, 08 at 5:45pm (PST)
Cover of Umbrella?

Date:   Jun 13, 08 at 5:49pm (PST)
Rihanna.

Date:   Jun 13, 08 at 5:51pm (PST)
Yeh, where did you hear that?

Author:   Richardlfc
Date:   Jun 13, 08 at 7:16pm (PST)
I remember Biffy Clyro covering Umbrella, sure you didn't get the two confused?

Author:   PitLine810
Date:   Jun 13, 08 at 8:11pm (PST)
If they made an entire album with the electro feel of Flux, I would just stop listening to them. Their "punk" style is what made me love them in the first place, and songs like The Prayer, Banquet, and Pioneers are their strongest suit. While songs like Flux are good every once in a while, I don't listen for the synthy stuff. To be honest, I think "Little Thoughts" is even pushing it a little bit in the sense that it sounds more like pop than anything else.

Another thing I dislike about Flux is that the words are just gibberish. Bloc Party's known for their strong, sometimes political, lyrics (Hunting For Witches FTW) whereas Flux's make absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Date:   Jun 13, 08 at 8:30pm (PST)
I tried to find it on youtube but couldn't. I'm 100% sure I heard it because I hated Kele's voice matching it. Must find it for you guys.

Author:   Key zer
Date:   Jun 13, 08 at 8:32pm (PST)
as far as I know, Bloc Party have never covered Umbrella.

bands who have, however, are Manic Street Preachers, My Chemical Romance and Biffy Clyro.

Date:   Jun 13, 08 at 8:34pm (PST)
Seems like they didn't. I was sure they did though. So Here We Are rocks btw.

Date:   Jun 13, 08 at 8:51pm (PST)
Ah, Luno has always been my favourite of theirs.

I remember when The Prayer came out it was really weird to hear, they'd changed but it was good. But then Flux was really different and not very good, they put these lazers on aswell live with it, it's just not Bloc.

Author:   Key zer
Date:   Jun 14, 08 at 1:07am (PST)
if Bloc Party were to make more electronic based records, then let them. they are evolving as a band, and I don't really think they give two shits if you don't want them to. they said Muse would be wrecked by electronica, but Super Massive Black Hole was a surprise hit. and Map of the Problematique was quite a decent track too.

what really irritates and irks me is when people can't grasp that bands will always be influenced by something fresh and new, thus will become more experimental. Kele has said even before Flux was written, even before Weekend in the City was written, that electronic music has been a huge influence on his music. so if that is finally coming through, surely you should be supportive of them than slating them for trying something new.

Date:   Jun 14, 08 at 9:14am (PST)
Maybe, but not all the band were happy about Flux either, it seemed to just be Kele who wanted to change.

Author:   SonicHero12
Date:   Jun 14, 08 at 12:01pm (PST)
Really good band. They've been around for awhile but I've just noticed them more lately. They're a very good, up-and-coming band. Like Eating Glass and Helicopter are wonderful songs.

Author:   Fourth Dimension
Date:   Jun 14, 08 at 6:26pm (PST)
quote Key zer
surely you should be supportive of them than slating them for trying something new.
I agree, but only if it helps the band progress in a positive manner. I did like Flux, it's a great track to dance to in clubs, but I wouldn't be happy if they made an entire album sounding like that. It's one thing to be influenced by a particular genre, but another thing to make that influence fit the band's "sound", and Flux, in my opinion, didn't really sound much like a Bloc Party song.

Author:   Mocking Alvin
Date:   Jun 16, 08 at 3:15am (PST)
I have seen them soooo many times, it's rediculous. I recognise people now who go to all their shows.

Silent Alarm was better than AWITC. I have an album of B-sides from the AWITC album, and some of them are much better than the tracks that made it on to the final product, i think they made a mistake there.

Still an awesome band though, and i think flux is pretty good, was overplayed when it first emerged though.

x

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.