Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Kings of Leon - page 6

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/75/t489782-kings-of-leon/6.htm

Author:   Sphinx
Date:   Oct 06, 10 at 11:17am (PST)
Subject:   re: Kings of Leon
-------------------------------------------
Saw them headlining at V Festival back in august. Really enjoyed it, some great singalong moments to the obvious big tracks from Only by the Night, but there was a decent mix of older material. Best tracks were either The Bucket or Use Somebody.

Liking the new track at the moment, they did play it at V, but it didn't make much of an impact at first, as obviously no-one knew the song so the crowd was a little static for it.

Author:   D I O S
Date:   Oct 06, 10 at 2:15pm (PST)
Meh, not a massive fan. It's odd in that it doesn't sound a lot like their earlier stuff, but equally doesn't sound original.

And while I'm here might as well say that I seriously hate Use Somebody. Then again I don't like most of Only By The Night (not because I think they've 'sold out', but because it's just nowhere near as good as their older stuff.)

Author:   The Dave
Date:   Oct 10, 10 at 9:53am (PST)
As long as it's not accompanied by the Nickelback-esque video...

...I actually quite like Radioactive. Hundred times better than Use Somebody & Sex On Fire but perhaps that's something to do with the fact I've heard it less than hundred times.

Author:   The Rock Hater03
Date:   Nov 05, 10 at 10:42pm (PST)
*Bump*

So what do you guys think of Come Around Sundown?

I like it. Pony Up and Beach Side are a bit meh to be honest and The Immortals is just awful( minus the bass solo at the end) but the rest of the album is good. At about a 7/10 IMO.

I'm getting sick to death of some sad people declaring that they knew Kings of Leon before Only By The Night, as if they are expecting some sort of medal. I used to listen to Kings of Leon back when Aha Shake Heartbreak came out, it is a fantastic album, yes. But it has become a bit of a cliché now to say that.

Author:   Styot
Date:   Nov 05, 10 at 10:53pm (PST)
It's a good album, I'm enjoying it. Nothing spectacular but enjoyable.

Author:   Knukles Da Echidna
Date:   Nov 05, 10 at 10:58pm (PST)
quote The Rock Hater03
*Bump*

So what do you guys think of Come Around Sundown?

I like it. Pony Up and Beach Side are a bit meh to be honest and The Immortals is just awful( minus the bass solo at the end) but the rest of the album is good. At about a 7/10 IMO.

I'm getting sick to death of some sad people declaring that they knew Kings of Leon before Only By The Night, as if they are expecting some sort of medal. I used to listen to Kings of Leon back when Aha Shake Heartbreak came out, it is a fantastic album, yes. But it has become a bit of a cliché now to say that.
100% Agree. These are the newer songs that they're going to start playing at the tours. Might as well enjoy some of them, or else you'll be extremely bored at the concerts waiting for two or three older songs.

I LOVE the song "Birthday" and "No Money". Those two are easily the best from the album, with Pyro and Radioactive being great as well.

No Money is just strong and non-stop, and Birthday is a lot more softer, but not too slow like Pick Up Truck nor depressing like Pyro and The Face.

I'm seeing them next week, so I'm pumped.

Date:   Nov 05, 10 at 11:39pm (PST)
Awesome! Where you seeing them mate?

Author:   nathan
Date:   Nov 06, 10 at 12:37am (PST)
Pyro is so *bleep*in' good.

Author:   Star of Spurs
Date:   Nov 06, 10 at 11:44am (PST)
Come Around Sundown's pretty disappointing. Nothing really stands out, The End is probably the best in my eyes.

I'll give it another go but not much of the album really shines.

Author:   Irish Gamer
Date:   Nov 06, 10 at 5:00pm (PST)
Haven't heard the album yet but I quite like the songs I've heard so far. The whole "I knew of KOL ages ago" thing isn't necessarily about being a music snob, it's about the fact Only By The Night is a shite album.

I'll give this album a listen a good few times before I'd consider buying a ticket, I'd hate to sit through too many songs from Only By the Night tbh.

Author:   George2
Date:   Nov 06, 10 at 9:19pm (PST)
quote Star of Spurs
Come Around Sundown's pretty disappointing. Nothing really stands out, The End is probably the best in my eyes.

This is what I thought when I listened to the album, apart from Radioactive, the only song I liked was The End, the rest just passed me by.

Author:   The Dave
Date:   Nov 06, 10 at 10:51pm (PST)
quote Star of Spurs
That's the problem I'm finding with the album and it's a fault which warrants comparisons to KoL's earlier work given how they always had their stand-out tracks regardless of the overall quality of the album. The problem with Come Around Sundown is that they've taken the formula of platinum selling, U2-esque, stadium-pop-rock that proved so successful on Only By The Night and rinsed it for all it's worth across an album that is arguable about 2-3 tracks too long. As such it strikes me as an album that is perfectly listenable yet devoid of anything I'd really want to listen to. Radioactive aside, it's got no killer hooks and lacks the genuine edginess and bitterness that typified their earlier stuff.

The Face is my personal favourite, standing out from the rest with a more interesting dynamic of melancholic verse & rousing chorus. Reminded me of the excellent Milk off of Aha Shake Heartbreak which remains their strongest album imo.

Author:   Millennium Master
Date:   Nov 06, 10 at 10:53pm (PST)
I like the track Use Somebody.

Date:   Nov 06, 10 at 11:56pm (PST)
I think their best songs are :

1: Red Morning light
2: California Waiting
3: King of the rodeo
4: On Call
5: Four Kicks
6: Radioactive

Radioactive is on their because it has that radio sound to it, very easy listening and it really grows on you. The rest well... that doesn;t need to be explained

Author:   DaveyPoshboy
Date:   Nov 07, 10 at 11:50pm (PST)
Really enjoying Come Around Sundown, it's such a step forward from Only By The Night IMO. Love Pyro, The Face, The Immortals, Birthday, No Money and Mary.

Also got tickets to see them at Hyde Park, anyone else going?

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.