Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Kings of Leon - page 4

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/75/t489782-kings-of-leon/4.htm

Author:   The Dave
Date:   Apr 18, 09 at 11:18am (PST)
Subject:   re: Kings of Leon
-------------------------------------------
WOW DOUBLE KOL THREAD POST

Anyway, I posted this in G&A a couple of days ago but thought I'd share with you Music folks...

Use Somebody (RAC Remix)
(including a kick-ass sampling of the main riff from Chemical Brothers' The pills won't help you now)

Actually amazing. RAC deserves a lot more credit for their work than they get. Their remixes of Bloc Party, Ra Ra Riot and Tokyo Police Club are among my favourite indie remixes. Check out their official site here for more free goodies.

Author:   Euphoric
Date:   Apr 18, 09 at 11:27am (PST)
I think I might be in love with you Dave.

Author:   BluePhoenix
Date:   Apr 18, 09 at 4:51pm (PST)
Sex on fire put me off kings of leon tbh, i just find him irritating as he sings

Author:   Massive Attack
Date:   Apr 18, 09 at 4:55pm (PST)
Kings of Leon have some solid songs. I particularly like Closer. However, like the above poster, I find the vocalist's voice annoying at times because he sounds like a whiny drunk.

Author:   The Don
Date:   Apr 18, 09 at 5:47pm (PST)
But I think it's that uniqueness in his voice that made me love Kings of Leon.

Author:   Irish Gamer
Date:   Jun 18, 09 at 4:12pm (PST)
They've released a new single that I don't think was on the album, I think it's called Notion? I've heard it a couple times on the radio, I think the melody is good enough, but I'm not too keen on it.

I've had Aha Shake Heartbreak on repeat while painting the last week. Man what an album.

Author:   Celes Leonhart
Date:   Jun 18, 09 at 4:31pm (PST)
Much like the rest of the new album? Really didn't enjoy it much considering I loved the previous three, not even really the singles.

Date:   Jun 18, 09 at 4:33pm (PST)
I guess it would fit into the stuff on Only By The Night, but I dunno, like I say I've heard it a couple of times and I thought it was ok. I guess I had the same reaction to Sex on Fire and Use Somebody tbh.

For KoL though, I just really hope they go quiet for a couple years. They've been pretty much in our faces since they released Because of the Times and I just want them to shush for a while. They're playing in Ireland in the summer and it's something like the 6th time in 2 years.

Author:   Celes Leonhart
Date:   Jun 18, 09 at 4:48pm (PST)
I just YouTube'd it and it was definitely familiar. Looked into it and it is from the new album. An okay song but nothing much else.

Edit: forgot to say - I hope they also take some time off but also make a significant jump in their style again. I loved Because of the Times but I think it would benefit if they moved on somewhat; I definitely don't want them to rinse out Only By The Night just because it got them (much more) famous.

Date:   Jun 18, 09 at 4:51pm (PST)
It was on the album? Huh. Didn't make an impression on me. No real surprise though, I didn't listen to it much. I still say Crawl is the best song on the album, though in fairness that's not saying much

Author:   Toby
Date:   Jun 18, 09 at 10:44pm (PST)
I'll challenge you on that and say Closer is the best song on the album followed by Crawl but it goes on a gradual decline after that. I remember being amazed by the opening tracks to the album when it came out and that sort of left me in an easy-to-impress mood for the rest of the album but now I realise how poor it really is. Aha Shake Heartbreak and Youth and Young Manhood are amazing albums. The style is SO different from where they are now, it's hard to think they're the same band.

Author:   VulcanRaven
Date:   Jun 19, 09 at 5:00am (PST)
Only by Night makes me rage. I loved their southern garage-rock sound in Youth and Young Manhood, their transformation into a sappy rock band has been very upsetting to see. Well, to give them credit Only by Night is still better than a lot of stuff out there. But honestly:

to

How?

(PS does anyone else get extremely aggravated by the abundance of "Embedding Disabled by Request" YouTube videos?)

Author:   DragonPirateZolo
Date:   Jun 19, 09 at 6:59am (PST)
I love Kings of Leon. I liked when they were not well known and I like them now.

Date:   Jun 19, 09 at 1:23pm (PST)
VulcanRaven, when you put it like that (i.e putting two songs from the first and last albums there to listen to so readily), it really is amazing to see the difference. I like when artists try something new but like someone already said in this thread (Dave I think), they've kinda mastered how to write the commericial song that'll sell for them. Hopefully a prolonged break will let them release something either completely different or with some hint of their roots.

Although I read an interview last summer with the drummer and he said what they're writing now is what they "always wanted to write" and when they look back on their first two albums they "get embarrassed". Frankly I don't know whether that's PR for their new albums or the truth. If it's the truth I'd worry.

Author:   Mocking Alvin
Date:   Jun 19, 09 at 1:48pm (PST)
quote Irish Gamer
Although I read an interview last summer with the drummer and he said what they're writing now is what they "always wanted to write" and when they look back on their first two albums they "get embarrassed". Frankly I don't know whether that's PR for their new albums or the truth. If it's the truth I'd worry.
Yeah, i heard that too. Caleb deliberately sang all muffled so that people couldn't make out what he was saying as well, which is weird cause the lyrics on their earlier albums are a lot better than 'oooooooh you're sex is on fire.'

I still think Only By The Night is an alright album, it's very listenable, you just can't allow yourself to compare it to Aha Shake Heartbreak and Youth and Young Manhood. I tend to ignore Because of the Times, i really didn't like that album.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.