Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Franz Ferdinand - page 21

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/75/t377935-franz-ferdinand/21.htm

Author:   AnonymousGuy
Date:   Mar 19, 06 at 4:38am (PST)
Subject:   re: Franz Ferdinand
-------------------------------------------
Chances are Franz won't. They are Indie which grants them some immunity from the 'whole commercialization and fame ruining a band' thing. Why? Because the set out to be commercial and make money from the start while at the same time trying to keep ahold of music as an artform.
Franz really isn't well known in the U.S. They got some minor fame points for Take Me Out which was real popular with the mainstream a while back (it even got into Now, the most mainstreamed compilation album series ever). However if I were to go up to a random music lover in the U.S. and ask them who Franz Ferdinand was, they probably couldn't tell me. Franz Ferdinand's popularity in the U.S. is generally limited to less mainstream crowds.

Author:   sloprano
Date:   Mar 19, 06 at 10:55pm (PST)
yeah, but what about in the UK? they could be bigger that tea and crumpets over the pond. and that could get to there heads.

Date:   Mar 20, 06 at 2:22pm (PST)
Actually from what I've heard, they are bigger than tea and crumpets over there and it might go to their heads. But I don't think so. They aren't an underground rock band that started in order to make good music and then got some fame. They started out with the intention of making fairly mainstream music and I doubt money wasn't on their minds. You can't corrupt what is already corrupted.

Author:   sloprano
Date:   Mar 21, 06 at 3:08am (PST)
hmm....true true. but I think that the corruption doesn't really affect them. so they should be ok down the road.

Date:   Aug 05, 06 at 10:26pm (PST)
I've got a sneaking suspicion that Franz will be releasing some new material soon. They have been getting a lot of radio play lately, after a 5 or 6 month silence where none of their songs were getting any play at all. Seems to me that this points to the stars all aligning in favor of Franz Ferdinand and their creative juices will start flowing. I predict news of a new album with a few months, five at most.

Author:   The Offspring
Date:   Aug 06, 06 at 2:49am (PST)
Well, I've only heard Take Me Out, but I quite like it. The music video is awesome too. Anyway, the reason I came in here was to ask you guys how similar to it all of Franz's other stuff is. Also, I don't like the newer single (the one where in the video they're all in the same bed and shiz). So keeping that in mind, would I like the rest of their stuff?

Date:   Aug 06, 06 at 2:57am (PST)
Do You Want To? That's my favorite song by these guys and I actually like the video, and I hate music videos.
Take Me Out is actually closer to their newer album than the other stuff on their first album. Their first album was a bit amatuerish but quite awesome nonetheless. The songs I would recommend on that album would be Dark of the Matinee, Jacqueline, 40', and Darts of Pleasure. I would also recommend anything off their new album, You Could Have It So Much Better. It is leagues more skilled and impressive and shows a lot more variety than their first album which was admittidly a bit formulaic. If you like Take Me Out, you will like their latest album very much. I haven't listened to it in ages but it's still one of my favorite albums ever.

Edit: and suddenly I got myself a hankerin' to go listen to my Franz Ferdinand records.

Author:   The Offspring
Date:   Aug 06, 06 at 3:06am (PST)
Okay, I'll have to check those out. Thanks.

Author:   SIS_Wolfhound
Date:   Aug 06, 06 at 2:59pm (PST)
one of the first bands i got into, along the smashing pumkins and such, and i still like these, finally have the debut i know have both

Author:   GregtheGreat
Date:   Aug 06, 06 at 10:23pm (PST)
quote AnonymousGuy
I've got a sneaking suspicion that Franz will be releasing some new material soon. They have been getting a lot of radio play lately, after a 5 or 6 month silence where none of their songs were getting any play at all. Seems to me that this points to the stars all aligning in favor of Franz Ferdinand and their creative juices will start flowing. I predict news of a new album with a few months, five at most.
Well they just released a more poppy version of Eleanor Put Your Boots On. I haven't heard it, but my friend tells me it's awful, which is a shame cause I felt it was the best song on their new album, and it was the best song they did when I saw them live.

Author:   Fourth Dimension
Date:   Jan 14, 09 at 3:26am (PST)
I got Tonight: Franz Ferdinand, and I really expected a much better effort since it's been nearly four years since the release of You Could Have It So Much Better. Lucid Dreams is probably the highlight track on the album, the last half is just amazing, it sounds like something Justice would make.

It's alright though, I just expected an album that would surpass their debut, because I really enjoyed their self titled, but it just doesn't do it for me.

Author:   GregtheGreat
Date:   Jan 14, 09 at 3:33am (PST)
I've got it, and I'm impressed by it. It's a different sound, miles better than their second album. Not sure how much I like it in comparison to the debut though, it doesn't have any real stand out tracks like the debut but I think overall it's a solid album. Not a track on it that I dislike.

Author:   Stefan
Date:   Jan 22, 09 at 6:38pm (PST)
the lead singer used to be a guitar teacher at my school.

Glasgow comrads.

Author:   Audacity
Date:   Feb 05, 09 at 1:21pm (PST)
quote stefan1888
the lead singer used to be a guitar teacher at my school.

Glasgow comrads.
I can top that. This band played at my uncles wedding, he was friends with their manager at the time. This was when they were really small.

Date:   Mar 14, 09 at 6:42am (PST)
lol @ myself from 3 years ago

Jesus has it been that long?

Anyway I've been waiting forever for Franz to release some new material I haven't listened to them in ages. I finally decided to see when they would finally release a new album and lo and behold they already had it out. So a short download later and here I am. I quite like it.

I know Franz Ferdinand are supposed to be on the out, but there is something undeniably irresistable for me about Franz Ferdinand. Maybe it's the catchiness. Maybe it's the sexiness of all the songs. It's harsh enough to be cool and catchy enough to stick.

So I still like Franz Ferdinand. Doesn't seem to have changed.

The new album is up there with You Could Have it So Much Better, I think. It's got the same maturity of sound that their debut clearly lacked. It's not as energetic as their sophomore release but the heavier synth is actually a welcome addition that gives the album a fresh edge.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.