Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Franz Ferdinand - page 19

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/75/t377935-franz-ferdinand/19.htm

Author:   Sphinx
Date:   Jan 21, 06 at 11:00pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Franz Ferdinand
-------------------------------------------
First up Wonderwall wasn't an album so I'm assuming you mean (What's the Story) Morning Glory, the album that track comes from.

Anyways, you should definately give Oasis a chance, but make sure if you sample anything from them that is is off one of the first two albums, Definately Maybe or (Whats the Story) Morning Glory, everything they have released since then has paled in comparison.

Author:   eljopa
Date:   Jan 21, 06 at 11:20pm (PST)
shows you how big they are in the states...

although i appreciate the input, im not stumbling over myself to check them out.

Author:   Laura J
Date:   Jan 21, 06 at 11:54pm (PST)
quote sloprano
I actually feel pretty comfortable. metal and britpop are 2 things that should not mix. like ketchup and waffles.
That's not my point at all. I agree that it's an odd pairing, but I take issue with your assertion that it's Metallica who should be ashamed. You've got it backwards, my uninformed friend.

Author:   Blue Streak
Date:   Jan 22, 06 at 9:33am (PST)
quote sphinx87
Actually they've not really been the biggest band in the world, in the UK and Europe, but as far as I know they haven't been that big in America at all.
Very few decent bands ever become big in the states. Even the best American bands find it hard to become known in America. Look at The White Stripes, The Killers and The Strokes - all great bands that American audiences just don't catch on to for whatever reason. They're all massive everywhere else though.

Author:   sloprano
Date:   Jan 23, 06 at 6:06am (PST)
quote Laura J
That's not my point at all. I agree that it's an odd pairing, but I take issue with your assertion that it's Metallica who should be ashamed. You've got it backwards, my uninformed friend.
sorry, I usually do. I am one of those people who would jump feet first into a pit before looking to see that in fact it was filled with a bunch of poisonous snakes.

as for making it big in the US, it makes no sense how that works. but the "popular" music shows like MTV do have influence, so if it isn't big with them, it probably won't be big with the US, since mtv is big, and they can give a band plenty of publicity.

franz should be ok, though. they seem to be popular all over the place.

Author:   AnonymousGuy
Date:   Feb 17, 06 at 2:31pm (PST)
How many albums do they have out? I have two and I love them both. These guys rock.

MTV is the reason that good bands don't get recognition here in the states. Since MTV caters only to the mainstream (at the moment rap and girly pop singers) good bands never get screentime here in the U.S. It's gey as hell but its how it works. Took Green Day 17 years to get recognition, and they had to sell out to do it. MTV would only ever air any of their more mainstream songs (course, that was back when MTV actually aired rock).

Back to the subject of Franz. I can't get enough of the twisting music and catchy beat. Plain and simple these guys are the freaking bomb.

Date:   Feb 19, 06 at 3:33am (PST)
well, if you have the self titled and you could have it so much better, you have the only two albums they put out so far (with hopes of plenty more to come). I agree about the MTV thing you said, but also that is kinda good too. even though it is harder to make it when not many know about you, but those who do know you are loyal, and are less likely to abandon listening to you when you don't come out with something new.

Date:   Feb 19, 06 at 6:44pm (PST)
true I suppose. The mainstream will ruin a band. 10 bucks says Billie Joe Armstrong kills himself in the next 5 years.

On another note I only know of the two Franz Ferdinand albums, Franze Ferdinand, and You Could have it so much better. Any other ones that someone can confirm exists?

Author:   Dudeguy
Date:   Feb 19, 06 at 7:33pm (PST)
I don't think their music will be ruined by mainstreamm. They only had one really popular mainstream hit was 'Take Me Out', and ever since their music has still been great. Plus, they started out as a garage rock/indie band, who usually stay true to their roots, think The White Stripes and Radiohead.

Author:   Sphinx
Date:   Feb 19, 06 at 7:40pm (PST)
quote AnonymousGuy
On another note I only know of the two Franz Ferdinand albums, Franze Ferdinand, and You Could have it so much better. Any other ones that someone can confirm exists?
No, they only have two. There is a handful of b-sides and stuff though. I had a list of them a while back but struggled to find them all. I currently have All For You Sophia, Shopping for Blood, Van Tango, Don't Start and Love and Destroy. They are all from their early period though, there is probably more new b-sides and unreleased 2nd album demos.

As far as the mainstream thing goes, they're pretty damn big over here in the UK, and they're on a record label that supports indie bands and stuff which is probably why they aren't going with the mainstream trends. Because its not a suffocating major label they still have room to experiment and be more free in what they do.

On a different note as well I got their Live DVD from my girlfriend this Valentines. I've watched the second disc so far which has the Brixton gig I went to back in 2004. Its a really cool DVD, anyone who wonders what they're like live should get it, they totally surprised me how good they were live.

Author:   GregtheGreat
Date:   Feb 19, 06 at 7:40pm (PST)
quote AnonymousGuy
true I suppose. The mainstream will ruin a band. 10 bucks says Billie Joe Armstrong kills himself in the next 5 years.

Those are their only two albums.

I doubt it will ruin them, they became instantly mainstream and haven't changed their style really.

Author:   SIS_Wolfhound
Date:   Feb 19, 06 at 9:19pm (PST)
i have their second alnum but the first is much better, my favorite song is the not-so-popular outsiders, they are both good albums in my opinion and i think these are much more deserving of fame than the kaiser cheifs, there are many bands over here that are better than the kaisers but dont get the commercial success the kaisers got fairly easily. Take suede, supergrass etc.

Date:   Feb 19, 06 at 9:40pm (PST)
I did not mean to insinuate that the mainstream would destroy Franz Ferdinand. They were mainstream from the start and their music could hardly be called "underground" but they still seriously rock. I merely meant to say that the mainstream can ruin most bands.

Date:   Feb 19, 06 at 9:51pm (PST)
well, I called them underground, since very few people in my school have heard of these guys.

Author:   GregtheGreat
Date:   Feb 20, 06 at 7:19pm (PST)
It depends where you're from really. For example, here in the UK they're one of the biggest bands in the country

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.