Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Franz Ferdinand - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/75/t377935-franz-ferdinand/

Author:   BigRedMachine
Date:   Apr 28, 04 at 3:08pm (PST)
Subject:   Franz Ferdinand
-------------------------------------------
I assume that the other FF thread got close due to lack of information about the band. Well, they deserve a thread so let's do it right.

Including bassist Bob Hardy, guitarist/vocalist Alex Kapranos, guitarist/organist/vocalist Nick McCarthy & drummer Paul Thomson, Franz Ferdinand hail from Scotland. Formed after Alex convinced Bob to learn how to play the bass, Franz Ferdinand's early mission was to "make music that girls could dance to." On the strength of that goal, Franz Ferdinand played their first gig at the Girl Art exhibition at the Glasgow School Of Art. Franz Ferdinand went on to play a few gigs in London and win a deal with Domino Record Co.

We all know what happened after that. They played a lot of gigs, going back to 2002 with their tourdates. They never really became big untill they release their album Franz Ferdinand and the single [b]Take Me Out[/i]. It became a hit and they were suddenly noticed. Not long after that they released their second (and my favorite) single Matinee. Now they are the new big band in town and their tour is fully booked. They even come to Holland here on Pinkpop, which is like one of the biggest festivals here.

And let's not forget their videos, which both have been pieces of art to me. You just have to see them to believe it. I seriously wished that I lived in the 30's when I saw the Matinee video.

The album:

1. Jacqueline
2. Tell Her Tonight
3. Take Me Out
4. Matinee
5. Auf Achse
6. Cheating On You
7. This Fire
8. Darts Of Pleasure
9. Michael
10. Come On Home
11. 40 ft

Author:   Sphinx
Date:   Apr 28, 04 at 3:18pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Franz Ferdinand
I like them a lot. Take Me Out was awesome, and I have Michael from the album off Kazaa and its awesome too. Matinee is good, but quite annoying after a while. I was gonna see them live, but the tickets sold out. I wouldn't mind hearing some of the other stuff on the album.

Author:   Incidnia
Date:   Apr 28, 04 at 6:11pm (PST)
Yeah, they are good, Take Me Out, having a great video, was also a great song, Matinee isn't as good, but still alright, its at least got them noticed a bit more, Smash Hits, KISS and all that sh*t is playing it now, so that tells you they are more popular.

Author:   anluan04
Date:   Apr 28, 04 at 6:26pm (PST)
Yeah, they are a great band and glad to see a thread about them. Take me out and Matinee are great songs and I really want to get their album.

Big Red Machine- Assuming you have their album, do you reccomend any other songs from it.

Date:   Apr 28, 04 at 7:38pm (PST)
You assumed right.

A few awesome songs from the album:
- Take Me Out
- Matinee (I seriously love this song the most... The vibe is just perfect)
- Tell Her Tonight
- Auf Achse
- Michael
- Cheating On You

Those ar ethe best IMO, but there isn't one weak song on the album. It's all fresh and new.

Author:   GregtheGreat
Date:   Apr 28, 04 at 7:46pm (PST)
I really like Darts of Pleasure, Take Me Out, and Matinee. They're great songs but the only ones I've got, wil probably get the ones advised by BigRedMachine

Date:   Apr 29, 04 at 5:16pm (PST)
quote BigRedMachine
You assumed right.

A few awesome songs from the album:
- Take Me Out
- Matinee (I seriously love this song the most... The vibe is just perfect)
- Tell Her Tonight
- Auf Achse
- Michael
- Cheating On You

Those ar ethe best IMO, but there isn't one weak song on the album. It's all fresh and new.
Cheers. I'll get downloading straight away.

Author:   AndroidCR
Date:   Apr 29, 04 at 5:33pm (PST)
I love them too, I bought the album on the day it came out here in Finland... My fave songs are Take Me Out, Darts of Pleasure and Michael. Cheating on You is nice too. Too bad they're not coming to Finland this summer... =/

Date:   Apr 30, 04 at 10:10am (PST)
They have on big-ass touring list though. They are virtually playing in every damn continent over the next few months. Only once in Holland though...
But I'm sure future tours will include Holland a lot more.

Author:   Greyfriars
Date:   Apr 30, 04 at 6:17pm (PST)
I love this band!

They played a secret gig recently under the name The Black Hands... how cool is that?
And apparently they've sung through Hitler's microphone.

Also, has anybody heard about this tribute band called Gavrilo Princip?

Date:   Apr 30, 04 at 7:57pm (PST)
Last night, I was randomly downloading Franz songs and one of the songs I got was called "Don't Start". I only later realised it wasn't on the album. I'd reccomend it to all fans. It's such a top tune.

Author:   GregtheGreat
Date:   Apr 30, 04 at 11:38pm (PST)
Nice find dude, I'm already downloading it

Oh by the way, about the info on them, I was watching an interview with them on some music channel(MTV2 I think) and they said that Take Me Out was actually their second single released and they had released Darts of Pleasure before that but I guess as they were so unknown they didn't do very well with it

Author:   Mr Viper
Date:   May 01, 04 at 12:07am (PST)
Errr ... This band was great when I first heard "Take Me Out" on the radio, but since it's been played 30 times an hour, I'm sooo damn sick of them.

Author:   Sunblazer
Date:   May 01, 04 at 1:48am (PST)
quote Greyfriars
I love this band!

They played a secret gig recently under the name The Black Hands... how cool is that?
And apparently they've sung through Hitler's microphone.

Also, has anybody heard about this tribute band called Gavrilo Princip?
Are you joking? I suppose their songs would be Killer in Serbia and Ultimatium. Good stuff.

Anyway, BRM do they have a website where I could download a song from. Soulseek aint working for me right now for some reason.`

Date:   May 03, 04 at 12:22pm (PST)
quote GregtheGreat

Oh by the way, about the info on them, I was watching an interview with them on some music channel(MTV2 I think) and they said that Take Me Out was actually their second single released and they had released Darts of Pleasure before that but I guess as they were so unknown they didn't do very well with it
That could actually be true. I also heard that lately. Never heard it on the radio or something like that though.
And Sunblazer, I couldn't find a site. I can share them via msn. It's in my profile.

This message was edited by BigRedMachine on May 29 2004.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.