Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Yeah Yeah Yeahs - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/75/t291774-yeah-yeah-yeahs/

Author:   Rogue to society
Date:   Oct 07, 03 at 5:01am (PST)
Subject:   Yeah Yeah Yeahs
-------------------------------------------
Does anyone listen to this band? They're a fairly new Punk group fom NYC that has an album out, "Fever To Tell" that's quite good. If you're into Punk, they're definately worth a look; Karen O is badass.

This message was edited by Rogue to society on Jun 07 2004.

Author:   Blackheartedwolf
Date:   Oct 08, 03 at 10:39pm (PST)
Subject:   re: The Yeah Yeah Yeahs
There was 1 song that I heard on the radio a few times... it kinda sounded like PJ Harvey to me...

I don't know what the song was called though.

Author:   bl3nd3r
Date:   Oct 30, 03 at 6:21pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Discography:

Yeah Yeah Yeahs [ep] (2002)
Machine [ep] (2002)
Fever to Tell (2003)

Biography:

quote mtv.com
Yeah Yeah Yeahs formed in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, when Karen O (vocals) and Nick Zinner (guitar) stumbled upon one another in a New York bar. They wrote some acoustic folk songs together before the lightning bolt realization struck that they could, conceivably, be the best rock-n-roll, art-punk, disco-sleaze whatever-you-wanna-call-it band in the city. They called Karen's old Ohio college pal Brian Chase (drums) to bring the thunder and backbone to the party. With Nick playing through two amps, there would be no need for a bass player. In early 2001 Yeah Yeah Yeahs recorded their 5-track, self-titled debut EP (most commonly known as the Bang! EP) at Teel's Funhouse studios in Manhattan. Had the EP or their increasingly raucous live shows (for example their debut gig opening for the White Stripes) been nothing special, no one would have cared either way. But the buzz about YYYs was fuelling mysterious excitement in the hearts of music fans and critics alike. The band released the EP in late 2001 on their own Shifty imprint and that excitement became a tangible, ownable, playable thing. Shortly after, Kill Rock Stars released a compilation Fields and Streams with an early recording of YYYs "Modern Things." In March the band played at Austin, Texas' South By Southwest music conference; their electrifying show and Karen and Christian Joy's margarita-fueled high jinx backstage made the front pages of the local press.

The UK's first taste of live YYYs was in late March 2002 when the band came over to tour Europe with Jon Spencer Blues Explosion. Yeah Yeah Yeahs played their debut London headline gig at Metro before supporting Jon Spencer at Brixton Academy. An unhinged recording of "Our Time" from a show at Trash at The End appears on the Trash Companion compilation. Their cute bunny rabbit pin badges, t-shirts with "Wanna F**k?" logos and one-off, handmade clutch bags became every Karen O wannabe's latest must-have fashion accessory and sold out fast. The EP had been picked up earlier by Wichita Recordings and was given a UK release in April 2002. Later in the year it was picked up and re-released in the U.S. by Touch & Go. Despite the tongue-in-cheek declaration "as a f**k, son, you suck!" repeated over and again in the chorus, "Bang!" slipped past the censors and landed daytime radio play. At the end of 2002, NME voted the EP No. 2 in their Singles of the Year.

Back in Brooklyn, YYYs had started recording sessions for their album. Faced with making their first record, the process took longer than anticipated which led them to make the hard decision of canceling their appearances at the Reading and Leeds festivals. They were to be back on tour in America with Jon Spencer Blues Explosion and Sleater-Kinney in September/October, and then re-united with The Liars for more U.S. dates and a stint in Australia in December. Credit to the fans, the success was largely due to word of mouth and those ever-present raving reviews. YYYs have now completed their debut album, Fever to Tell, which was released in April of 2003.
TOUR DATES:

11/12/03
The Social
Orlando, FL

11/22/03
First Avenue
Minneapolis, MN

11/23/03
Metro
Chicago, IL

11/24/03
Magic Stick
Detroit, MI

I saw them live on the Jimmy Kimmel Show and they were alright. Karen O seems like a calmed version of Wendy O. Wiliams and the guitarist is okay. I saw them live also with The Walkmen last year but they only played a four song set so I didn't get to really listen to them until this past summer. Here are some songs for you kiddos to listen to: "Maps" "Date With the Night" "Pin" "Bang" and "Miles Away." Go check them out if they're in your area, their shows costs about $13 anyways.

Author:   demon buttercup
Date:   Oct 30, 03 at 7:38pm (PST)
wow. theres actually yeah yeah yeah fans here?? i adore that band, their so sexy! great album, though machine and master rocked as well.

Author:   dizzieko02
Date:   Oct 30, 03 at 8:57pm (PST)
I have a few of their songs downloaded off of WinMx, but I spend more time listening to other bands I often over look them. They're okay but I haven't dwelled deep into their music yet.

Date:   Feb 06, 04 at 9:39pm (PST)
bump

I saw the video for "Maps" yesterday and I'm beginning to like this band a bit more. They recently did a live performance for online radio and they sound really well. I'm a big fan of the guitar effects so I paid most attention to the guitar parts. A lot of reverb/delay pedals are used throughout their songs and I like it! I dig the space rock-ish sound.

Author:   X10
Date:   Feb 06, 04 at 9:43pm (PST)
Yeah, I had heard these guys around 2002, and hadn't heard anything really since. Till the new "Maps" video. Im gonna try and go get the first three EP's sometime soon.

Author:   Mundane Sadness
Date:   Feb 07, 04 at 9:55am (PST)
It is nice to know that some people actually have heard of this band. I would have to say that I like this band just because yeh, they are just badass, nuff said.

Author:   Icey Squirrel Master
Date:   Mar 02, 04 at 12:22am (PST)
I'm probably jumping on the bandwagon here, but I'm really loving the song "Maps." I can't get it out of my head...

Author:   2Tails
Date:   Mar 02, 04 at 12:28am (PST)
I love indie rock,
well actually this is:

Garage punk indie rock,

The maps video I love, and the song countdown on thier maps single.

I did not want to buy the YYY's cd because it sucks...
yeah I expected much more from them, they have much potnetial, but stick to the ep stuff, your only getting half of what they really are if you buy the cd.

Author:   Gizmo Pup
Date:   Mar 08, 04 at 10:10pm (PST)
It's actually pretty good now since there is more people listening to the YYYs. My Dad doesn't know music because he thinks that Karen O sings terrible. "Maps" is my favorite song they made.

Author:   Kanedertaker
Date:   Mar 09, 04 at 6:59am (PST)
Wow, awesome to see a thread to this band. Heard them a long time ago when my old drummer got me into them. At first I thought he was on crack for trying to get me to listen to them, but after one listen from a long car ride from a show, I rather enjoyed them!

They rock pretty well!

Take care.

Author:   trendyskaman
Date:   Mar 10, 04 at 1:44am (PST)
I don't dig them too well. I've heard most of their album, and I thought it was sub-par at best. Not at all the refreshing rock group I was expecting. I'll give you "Maps" is a catchy song, but it kind of reminded me of a heavier Wilson Phillips. At least they're more imaginative than The Donnas though.

Date:   Jun 07, 04 at 6:09am (PST)
Been listening to Fever To Tell for about two weeks and I'm lovin' it. I wish the damn CD was longer it's cool. I've heard some of their b-sides the other day online and those are rockin' aswell. Hopefully, they'll have an EP with all of the b-sides on it. Don't want to have to go out and buy the damn singles. >_<

Author:   dizzieko02
Date:   Jun 07, 04 at 6:36am (PST)
Heh...this weekend I was rollin in the hood in my G ride with the homies bumping that Rich joint. Haha.

Fever To Tell is a damn good album but way too short, leaves you starving for more. I really feel the energy in their music. I hope I get to see them live one of these days.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.