Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Music Forum 'Weekly Recommendation' Thread - page 2

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/75/t1708885-music-forum-weekly-recommendation-thread/2.htm

Author:   Shattered Silence
Date:   Jan 16, 12 at 6:12pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Music Forum 'Weekly Recommendation' Thread
-------------------------------------------
quote BANDITO ATTACK
i'm curious, is this kind of sound is prevalent in UK clubs? it seems like he creates a kinda of strange atmosphere for dance music. i've heard some tracks called garage and dubstep before, but none of it had such a weird atmosphere as the second posted track, fram.

the aforementioned track, specifically, struck me as more of home listening music along the lines of aphex twin or venetian snares, rather than a dance track. (the other two, not so much)
Well, it sort of depends what facet of the UK scene you look at. In your standard clubs, you'll get your melody led chart dance stuff, so nothing different there. If, however, you look at the underground club or rave scene, then this kind of sounds is more like what you get. I've heard Blawan dropped in a few DJ mixes in clubs over the last year. And interesting you should mention Venetian Snares, as I've seen a few sets by him in clubs packed full of people dancing like crazy.

Author:   EricF
Date:   Jan 17, 12 at 2:27pm (PST)
Thanks for the recommendation Shattered Silence, much appreciated. The next recommendation will go up around the afternoon tomorrow. I still need another candidate for the 4th week, so if anyone's interested just PM me the default format and I'll save it until it needs to be posted up.

Author:   zzSilencezz
Date:   Jan 17, 12 at 5:00pm (PST)
I like some of his tracks but it took a while to grow on me, nice job!

Author:   Mocking Alvin
Date:   Jan 18, 12 at 3:07am (PST)
He flips that Brandy sample soooo nice in Getting Me Down, definitely one of my favourite songs of the year. It got so many plays that i neglected to even listen to a lot of his other stuff but i'm really feeling Fram.

Will need to check him out if he's playing around here at some point. I know a few people who went down to Manchester this yer for the Warehouse Project he did with Untold, Mount Kimbie, Andrew Weatherall and James Blake and they had nothing but good things to say.

And yeah, i've definitely heard a lot of the hessle audio stuff dropped, although the number of clubs that'd play it would be quite limited i would think.

This message was edited on 2012-01-17T19:18:06-08:00.

Date:   Jan 18, 12 at 1:21pm (PST)
WEEK 2
Member: Matty

Last.fm | Bandcamp

BATS

BATS are a Progressive / Post punk / Math Rock band based in Dublin Ireland, releasing their first EP in 2007 and heir breakout work in 2009. Strong supporters of the Earth to space elevator and strong opposers of the plan to strip-mine the moon for Helium 3, BATS strive to disperse their audio seed into the ears and minds of as many receptive humans as possible. They do so with valiant gusto and in the face of a limited gene pool
- last.fm

Discography

• Cruel Sea Scientist (2007)
  • Red In Tooth & Claw (2009)

This band are a worthy representative of a strong burgeoning metal/hardcore culture in Dublin, stemming from the excellent record label Richter Collective. Anyone more interested in this should check that label out for more very talented bands. BATS have the lyrics and look of PhD students with math rock as well as metal influences. They bring a huge amount of energy in their songs, tight instrumentals, and a bit of novelty in that they're more often than not screaming about physics.

Sample Songs

• Author:   Matty
    Date:   Jan 18, 12 at 4:19pm (PST)
    I like this band a lot for a good few reasons. They're extremely tight as a band. There's a huge interplay between different guitars and bass in the band, a to and fro between the members of the band.

It combines math rock with hardcore but still including notable lyrics, from a multi-styled singer. Most of all, they're a bit of craic to listen to and bop your head to. I'm not going to sit here and say they're my favourite band or that that everyone should love them and buy their shit. But it's some fun music to kick back and rock to!

You can listen to the majority of their album on last.fm with the Google chrome app thingy.

Date:   Jan 19, 12 at 4:32pm (PST)
    Why am I rarely told about the good Irish bands?

You're definitely right by saying they're fun to listen to. The first few seconds of Credulous! Credulous! were a bit all over the place but as soon as I got into the track I enjoyed it. I couldn't get that riff out of my head when I was browsing the web too. I'm actually surprised they're Irish. They sound rather Scottish, particularly in the third track. They almost remind me of a Pulled Apart by Horses that is a bit more accessible to people who aren't used to that mental sort of post-hardcore. Three strong tracks though overall - the second of your recommendations being my favourite of the bunch. I've no doubt Nathan would like these guys.

I shall again give them a better spin by the end of the week. Cheers Matty.

Author:   Icedevil
    Date:   Jan 19, 12 at 5:40pm (PST)
    I gotta say the production sounded a bit off during the first two songs (youtube quality?), I prefer the mix much more on the last one. The vocals and instruments are a lot clearer, and easier to understand. Would also say it was my favourite of the 3, just love some texture at the end with heavier guitars. Like with every math rock sound, the band does benefit from multiple listens, because at first glance you do get overwhelmed with the complexity of the song. This band actually reminds me a lot of These Arms Are Snakes (RIP), they also use a lot of guitar licks. One thing I'm not a big fan of are the vocals. I just prefer my hardcore a bit meatier, his singing is pretty good and tight, but when he gets more aggressive I can't help but feel that it is a bit weak.

Author:   judaspriest
    Date:   Jan 19, 12 at 11:04pm (PST)
    Wahey this thread actually kicked off, exceptional. Looking forward to giving those bands a listen!

Author:   Matty
    Date:   Jan 19, 12 at 11:05pm (PST)
    I appreciate its a kind of middle of the road between rock and hardcore, particularly in terms of the vocals but at the time the album came out (Red In Tooth And Claw), it just blew me away compared to a lot of dross that I'd been listening to.

BATS Spelled... is probably my favourite song by them.

Considering his recent thread about Tubelord, Lazzara might like these too.

Author:   Lazzara
    Date:   Jan 19, 12 at 11:09pm (PST)
    mindblown that bats spelled backwards is stab

dunno if they remind me of tubelord, but i think they remind me a lot of adebishi shank lol.

Date:   Jan 19, 12 at 11:12pm (PST)
    *bleep* OFF YOU KNOW SHANK!?

Author:   Lazzara
    Date:   Jan 19, 12 at 11:13pm (PST)
    why wouldn't i. i have better taste than people from these threads combined

Date:   Jan 19, 12 at 11:14pm (PST)
    Haha, I think their only similarity is that they're both Irish to be honest. Their debut is rather good, but I didn't find it much like any of the recommended tracks here.

Date:   Jan 19, 12 at 11:16pm (PST)
    Jaysus, i didn't think anyone would have heard of Shank outside of Ireland. They're awesome though, fair play Lazz. I would have made them my recommended artist, but I distinctly remember trying to recommend them here before, and them not going down. But they're all Richter Collective, really shows a lot of strength in the label, to reiterate.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
    All Rights Reserved.