reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/75/t1427983-xx/

Author:   The Dave
Date:   Sep 27, 09 at 4:24pm (PST)
Subject:   The xx
-------------------------------------------

Myspace]www.myspace.com/thexx[/link] | [link name=Last.fm

quote last.fm
The xx are a London quartet, featuring the dual lead vocals of Romy Madley Croft and Oliver Sim (who also play lead guitar and bass guitar respectively), Baria Qureshi (keyboards and guitar) and Jamie Smith (beats, MPC sampler).

Bonding over a shared love of dark, emotive 80s guitar sounds and the high-end sheen of American R&B, The xx’s unique sound befits a band whose wide range of influences combine via beautiful, hushed vocal duets and a brilliantly inventive use of samples and low-end frequencies to produce stark, sweet melancholic pop.

Discography:

xx
(2009)

1. Intro
  2. VCR
  3. Crystalised
  4. Islands
  5. Heart Skipped a Beat
  6. Fantasy
  7. Shelter
  8. Basic Space
  9. Infinity
  10. Night Time
  11. "Stars

Standout tracks:

I don't even know where to start with this band. Part lo-fi indie-rock, part 80s referencing shoegaze. For a debut the album is remarkably reserved. Unlike tourmates The Big Pink there are no indie-anthems, just a steady showcasing of a polished, contemplative sound. The dual female/male vocals and the wonderfully understated production are what make this band so special. There's a real honesty to everything about this record, no bravado, no forced "standout singles", just a succession of beautiful, melancholic pop music. Quite possibly the best UK album so far this year.

Author:   auctoria
Date:   Sep 27, 09 at 4:50pm (PST)
Subject:   re: The xx
Heard them on Radio 1 earlier today, of all places. I can't really remember the song too well but it was pretty good. I'll try listen to some other stuff from them before downloading.

Author:   Echo
Date:   Sep 27, 09 at 6:18pm (PST)
These guys definitely put one of the most impressive debut albums in awhile. A much better album than The Big Pink's debut.

You're completely right about them not having any songs that standout as "look at me, I'm a catchy single!" It's all very focused and quite downtempo which I love. The dual male/female vocals are also outstanding.

I'd add "Intro", "Heart Skipped a Beat", and "Night Time" as standout tracks. I also highly suggest getting the bonus tracks that are covers. "Do You Mind" and especially "Teardrops" are fantastic.

Author:   VulcanRaven
Date:   Sep 28, 09 at 4:06pm (PST)
I could have sworn somebody had sung praise about this group previously in here; I had been meaning to check xx out, (Pitchfork gave it an 8.7 so I really had no idea what to expect). Funny you should mention The Big Pink's A Brief History of Love, since I can't help but feel that both of these albums suffer from the same fate. I agree with the notion that, unlike A Brief History of Love, there are definitely no specific songs which sound as though they were meant to be hit singles, but oddly enough I find xx to lack consistency. Tracks such as "Crystalised" and "Islands" completely blow me away, but then songs like "Infinity" and "Fantasy" just have me reaching for the skip button. The good outweighs the bad, by far, but I find myself struggling to listen to this album the entire way through. This is a case where I'd consider some of these songs to be among the best of 2009, but not the album as a whole.

Author:   Taio
Date:   Sep 29, 09 at 11:54am (PST)
I saw Jamie their beats man djing and he was well good so I checked them out, and it's like what indie music was when I started listening to it like 5 years ago. proper fresh sounding, but more mature with a bit of darkness (no doubt from Jamie's beats)

it's the kind of music that even people who are like 'yeah I listen mainly to alternative progressive windie but also dabble in jocoustic hiphop' will enjoy. properly genrespanning I think

Author:   Euphoric
Date:   Oct 01, 09 at 5:17am (PST)

Author:   Icedevil
Date:   Oct 01, 09 at 12:25pm (PST)
Was listening to Basic Space on Forced thread and couldn't help but think how awesome it would sound in hands of competent dubstep producer. It just needs that injection of excitement, last 40 seconds is not enough.

Author:   Irish Gamer
Date:   Oct 01, 09 at 1:05pm (PST)
I'm gutted I missed them at Electric Picnic, they were on at like 12 midday and I misread the timetable thinking it was an hour later, showed up to an absolutely massive crowd leaving the tent raving about them

Author:   Taio
Date:   Oct 01, 09 at 2:27pm (PST)
quote Icedevil
Was listening to Basic Space on Forced thread and couldn't help but think how awesome it would sound in hands of competent dubstep producer. It just needs that injection of excitement, last 40 seconds is not enough.

heard this on dusk and blackdown's show on rinse fm last week. not the most aggressive mix in the world but I'm a fan

it's the bit after like 2.40 that does it for me when she's sitting there crying and it goes quiet then it comes back so big that she's all happy and dancing

Author:   wobble
Date:   Oct 01, 09 at 9:41pm (PST)
Usually with albums people can agree on like 3 or 4 tracks that are really great, like the center of the album. I love how with xx that is not the case at all, their songs like everyone said before are so focused and down to earth they seem to effect people in different ways. I thought the track Infinity was outstanding, it's gotta be up there as one of my favorites. Then Phil had to go and diss it and I guess that's the beauty of this album that everyone can find their own favorites.

Date:   Oct 02, 09 at 8:28pm (PST)
quote Taio
quote Icedevil
heard this on dusk and blackdown's show on rinse fm last week. not the most aggressive mix in the world but I'm a fan
This right here is why I love this forum. That's a great mix. The original's minimalism is what really does it for me which is why I was so surpised to find myself enjoying Pariah's beefed up mix. Instead of being over-powering it's a wonderful tribute to the original and still sounds like nothing else, a kind of ethereal "dub-gaze" anthem. :musicgeek:

quote VulcanRaven
Tracks such as "Crystalised" and "Islands" completely blow me away, but then songs like "Infinity" and "Fantasy" just have me reaching for the skip button. The good outweighs the bad, by far, but I find myself struggling to listen to this album the entire way through. This is a case where I'd consider some of these songs to be among the best of 2009, but not the album as a whole.
I can empathise with you even if you are completely wrong =O. I've had that plenty of times with albums touted as instant greats, Grizzly Bear's Veckatimest comes to mind as an album everyone bummed but I initially found dull bar from a couple of standout tracks. The two tracks you picked out as skippables on xx are pretty much the only low(ish) points on the album for me.

quote wobble
I guess that's the beauty of this album that everyone can find their own favorites.
Who the *bleep* are you and what did you do with wobble?

Date:   Oct 30, 09 at 9:54pm (PST)
quote Icedevil
This do?

Author:   Euphoric
Date:   Oct 31, 09 at 2:44am (PST)
I'm a fan.

Author:   Icedevil
Date:   Oct 31, 09 at 6:55pm (PST)
quote The Dave
This do?
Tbh I'm not impressed. They are taking Florence's great vocals/song and splicing shit up with these depressive monotonous wails from The xx. Come to think about it the best part was around 2:20 mark where they sample her actual vocals. I'm not really sure what they are trying to do with this remix, is it suppose to be a cluster*bleep* of 2 artists with small additional hint of dubstep, or a chill out track that had absolutely no atmosphere going for it. Yes the editing was pretty sweet, but what else does this song have going for it?

Ooh I know! Next time they should replace the vocals from The xx song with someone who can actually sing. (or give them some Lempsips to cure their colds) In fact the more I hear The xx on the radio the more I'm convinced, from the sound of them singing, that I'm not the only one who is bored.

Author:   Vector
Date:   Oct 31, 09 at 8:37pm (PST)
Haha, as if I'd be able to stay away.

There's not much I can say that won't be pretentiously regurgitating the same exact thing everyone else is saying. But for what it's worth I'm a real fan of how each song flows into the next. I realize this is a common occurrence but in most cases I find myself constantly switching back and forth between browser windows and iTunes to see what song is playing. With this album, I didn't check and I didn't care, it was all just so right. Furthermore, speaking as a bassist now, a lot of the baselines were inspiring in a really understated way. I find myself getting the urge to learn a couple songs because they're just so damn relaxing.

But yeah, I like 'em.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.