Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Frightened Rabbit - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/75/t1328619-frightened-rabbit/

Author:   TVI
Date:   Mar 07, 09 at 9:31pm (PST)
Subject:   Frightened Rabbit
-------------------------------------------
Band: Folk/Indie/Pop

Frightened Rabbit are a Scottish indie rock band from Selkirk, Scotland, consisting of Scott Hutchison (vocals, guitar), Grant Hutchison (drums, vocals), Billy Kennedy (guitar, keyboards, bass) and Andy Monaghan (keyboards, guitar, bass). The band has so far released two studio albums, with their second, The Midnight Organ Fight, receiving widespread critical acclaim.

Thought I'd share this fantastic band with you all, just discovered them and they're awesome! Check out this song in particular:

Links:
Myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/frightenedrabbit
Band website: http://www.frightenedrabbit.com/
Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frightened_Rabbit

Author:   GregtheGreat
Date:   Oct 30, 09 at 3:46am (PST)
Subject:   re: Frightened Rabbit
My mate sent me Poke last week and it's an incredible acoustic track, was listening to it practically non stop since then. I got the rest of the Midnight Organ Fight album and it's a superb album. Loving it. I think Poke or Fast Blood stand out for me, but there isn't a weak track in it.

Author:   Mocking Alvin
Date:   Oct 30, 09 at 3:34pm (PST)

Video for new single 'Swim Until You Can't See Land' released in a couple of weeks.

Apparently they have a new member now as well, which will be interesting. Thought they weere pretty perfect as is.

Date:   Oct 30, 09 at 10:37pm (PST)
Decent song, but not one of their best (though it may grow on me like their others do). About a minute longer than it strictly needs to be too.

Good to see some other people like this band, its about time they got some recognition. They're a lot better than 99% of the rubbish indie/pop bands around these days.

Date:   Oct 31, 09 at 12:33pm (PST)
I like the new song, but I think TVI's right with it being a bit too long for what it is.

Date:   Dec 26, 09 at 12:27pm (PST)
Oh noez, double post!

It's been a good Christmas for my adoration of Frightened Rabbit!

First of all, I got an unexpected parcel from FatCat Records and inside was a signed 7" of their Christmas single It's Christmas So We'll Stop, I'd forgotten I'd entered a competition for that. That arrived the day before Christmas Eve so put me in a good mood!

Then yesterday my Mum had gotten me their live album Quietly Now!, listened to it 3 times since I got it and it's superb.

And on my previous post, Swim Until You Can't See Land has really grown on me. I often have it stuck in my head.

Date:   Dec 26, 09 at 1:35pm (PST)
My favourite songs of theirs at the moment are The Twist and Head Rolls Off, both on Midnight Organ Fight. Have they got a new album coming out any time soon, Greg?

Date:   Dec 26, 09 at 5:27pm (PST)
'The Winter of Mixed Drinks' is due out in March i think.

Album Art:

Gutted i didn't get to see them when they played Glasgow in December.

Date:   Dec 26, 09 at 9:29pm (PST)
I'm loving Good Arms vs Bad Arms at the moment, Midnight Organ Fight is such a strong album though. Can't get enough of it.

Can't wait for the new album. I wanted to go see them support Modest Mouse earlier this month but I was way too busy.

Author:   Vector
Date:   Dec 27, 09 at 9:01pm (PST)
Well well well, what do we have here?

I decided to give The Midnight Organ Fight a go and just four songs in and I've got to hold my jaw up.

The album is good old indie-rock at it's finest. I'm quite a fan of raw vocals that Scott Hutchison puts out (clearly I need to check out more Scottish bands). They're just so raw and honest. A cool contrast to the brooding falsettos that seem to be oh so popular these days. The layered guitars and the decision to leave out a bassist is a novelty that doesn't seem overplayed. The drums serve as a good enough rhythmic anchor, allowing for them folky guitars to really let loose. But where these lads really stand out for me is their lyrical content. It's all just so unashamedly adolescent. It's verses are littered with angsty little quips that generally follow the 'i'm-not-good-enough' trend that most teenage boys find themselves ensconced in at some time or another. But it never seems like it's trying to hard, just a good ol' romantic, horny romp at its crux.

Also, The Modern Leper is probably the best opener I've heard in a while.

Check em out if you haven't already (you guys know who I'm talking to).

Author:   The Dave
Date:   Dec 28, 09 at 12:26pm (PST)
I really need to get me some Frightened Rabbit material. Heard nothing but good things about these lads and whenever I've dropped by their Myspace page I've always left it a lot more optimistic about the state of British indie rock music. What would you guys suggest I start with?

Oh and Vector if you're looking for similar Scottish bands you probably can't go wrong with Frightened Rabbit label-mates The Twilight Sad and We Were Promised Jetbacks. Although hugely different in style you should also check out Camera Obscura if you need any further convincing as to the strength of Scottish indie pop/rock.

Author:   Vector
Date:   Dec 28, 09 at 12:49pm (PST)
Will do. Pretty much every band you've recommended has been sitting on my last.fm recommendations page for ages and I've been too lazy to check em out.

Also, I'd say just go for The Midnight Organ Fight. The general consensus seems be that Frightened Rabbit really perfected their sound in their sophomore album. It's a great representation.

Date:   Mar 01, 10 at 2:37pm (PST)
Their new album, The Winter of Mixed Drinks, came out today. Got my copy in the post, just listened to it (for the second time, I listened to the stream on myspace last week). It's a good album, I think it'll be a grower too cause I enjoyed it more this time round than when I first listened to it. It doesn't top Midnight Organ Fight but that's not exactly a bad thing when you consider just how great that album was. I wasn't really expecting them to top it.

Nonetheless it's still a damn good album. If anything it's a bit more rock-y than the last album, with tracks like Nothing Like You and Living in Colour being quite fast paced tracks. There's also tracks which probably would have slotted quite comfortably into the Midnight Organ Fight too, notably The Loneliness And The Scream, Not Miserable and The Wrestle. Still got that indie-angsty feel to them. There's not a bad track on the record really.

Date:   Mar 01, 10 at 4:10pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Frightened Rabbit - Music
I'm glad it's a grower (heard this from a few other people as well), because i wasn't blown away when i heard the myspace stream a few days ago. Found myself loving 'Swim...' a lot more when i listened to it the the context of the entire album than when it was released as a single like 6 months ago. Downloaded a copy of the album so will give it another couple of listens but will try and pick up a physical release in the next couple of days.

Author:   The Dave
Date:   Mar 01, 10 at 9:43pm (PST)
quote Vector
Also, I'd say just go for The Midnight Organ Fight.
Good advice this. Absolutely loved the album, gives me real hope that straight-up British indie-rock is alive and well in the same way that Band Of Horses and Manchester Orchestra have done for US indie-rock.

I love how visceral and earthy their music is, from the strained thick-accented vocals to the driving rhythm section it's tough not to get swept away. There's also a lot to be said about how reassuringly honest and naive the lyrics are. Definitely music to "get your angst on" to.

Unfortunately Spotify haven't got their act together yet and put the new album up yet. Will post up opinions when they do. Swim was an instant winner for me when it dropped last year, so if it works even better in the context of the album looks like I'm in luck.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.