Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Vampire Weekend - page 3

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/75/t1237691-vampire-weekend/3.htm

Author:   thebes
Date:   Sep 19, 09 at 3:54am (PST)
Subject:   re: Vampire Weekend
-------------------------------------------
np np, i live to give

Author:   The Dave
Date:   Oct 05, 09 at 7:41pm (PST)
Hurray for the internet. First taste of the new album (apart from live versions of tracks like White Sky) can now be found here.

Vocally and lyrically it's a somewhat irritating, inane track especially Ezra's faux oriental lilt on the titular line. Musically it's rather wonderful. Sparse and oriental and then all of a sudden a glitchy, swelling, percussive, electro beast of a breakdown. Ends rather too abruptly for my liking but is a welcome indication that the band are pushing into new musical territory rather than resting on their laurels.

Author:   Styot
Date:   Oct 05, 09 at 7:44pm (PST)
quote The Dave
Ezra's faux oriental lilt on the titular line.
I didn't understand a single word of that.

Author:   VulcanRaven
Date:   Oct 05, 09 at 11:26pm (PST)
Styot, just read a few album reviews from this site and you'll be speaking like a pro in no time.

Easily one of my favourite Vampire Weekend tracks already, namely because I found the majority of the songs off their debut album to be less than stellar when compared to "Mansard Roof"... There still hasn't been another instance where Ezra's vocals sound as beautiful as they do in that song. :(

Author:   Icedevil
Date:   Oct 05, 09 at 11:49pm (PST)
My friends went to see them at Leeds Festival (I went to see Crystal Castles who were *bleep*ing awesome btw but w.e) and they were egged in the crowd (not the band) <-- True story

Author:   wobble
Date:   Oct 06, 09 at 5:21am (PST)
Dave spent 2 hours writing that post and then backspacing and then adding something else and backspacing some more and making countless trips to Dictionary.com and copying and pasting and swapping certain words out for more discrete words with the same meaning.

But boy, oh boy I'm liking the the "african and synth had a kid" sound that sounds oh so reminiscent of The Very Best, that I am hearing in Horchata. GLOCK IS *bleep*ING PUMPED FOR THE CONTRA ACTION, *bleep*

Date:   Oct 06, 09 at 7:24pm (PST)
quote VulcanRaven
Styot, just read a few album reviews from this site and you'll be speaking like a pro in no time.
I do hope you're being sarcastic Phil.

The last thing we want around here is a bunch of disillusioned arts grads passing judgement on bands by posting ridiculously pretentious and largely meaningless reviews. Inb4 "lol like u" - there's a difference between being articulate and being a vocabulary whore who likes the sound of his own made-up superlatives.

Besides, this is a thread about a preppy, college-rock white-boy band. If you can't use words like faux (as in "fake" Styot) and titular (pertaining to the title, not boobs) in this thread then where else am I supposed to post them.

Oh and while I'm at it, I totally give a *bleep* about an oxford comma. But let's not go into that...

Author:   Toby
Date:   Oct 06, 09 at 8:06pm (PST)
Tickets go on sale for their gig at Kings College London tomorrow. Not sure how much they are but I'm hoping they don't sell out quick so I can buy them next week.

Date:   Oct 06, 09 at 11:29pm (PST)
quote The Dave
then where else am I supposed to post them.
How about no where at all.

Date:   Dec 05, 09 at 9:38pm (PST)
No-one else excited about the first single release from Contra?

Cousins is the A-Side. A juttering, guitar driven track reminiscent of the kind of unhinged sound that made A-Punk such a stand-out track. Video is also similarly awesome - face-changing camera tricks ftw:

The B-Side California English Pt 2 follows the synth-loop style of Horchata and seems to borrow from Animal Collective and Discovery in equal measures. Let's just hope Pt 1 on the album doesn't disappoint.

Roll on January 11th pls.

Date:   Dec 05, 09 at 9:55pm (PST)
Whats that song embedded in the banner thingy?

Author:   Jeremiah
Date:   Dec 06, 09 at 6:58am (PST)
i really like cousins. it's a really fun track , and the video is just a blast.

Author:   White Noise
Date:   Jan 05, 10 at 6:45am (PST)
HMMMM THE NEW ALBUM SEEMS A BIT UNDERWHELMING, MIGHT HAVE TO LISTEN TO IT A FEW MORE TIMES BUT MY INITIAL RESPONSE IS THAT CONTRA ISN'T AS GOOD AS THE DEBUT ALBUM. IT'S A PRETTY SOLID ALBUM, IT ISN'T SOUL CRUSHING OR BALL BUSTINGLY GOOD BUT IT'S STILL A SOLID RECORD. YOU GUYS SO SHOULD GO CHECK IT OUT OR WAIT FOR THE ACTUAL RELEASE DATE I GUESS IF YOU'RE A LITTLE PUSSY BITCH MOMMA'S BOY

Author:   Toby
Date:   Jan 05, 10 at 2:58pm (PST)
I haven't download anything in ages so I'm going to be a good child and wait.

Author:   Icedevil
Date:   Jan 05, 10 at 5:29pm (PST)
You don't get it Josh, their sound matured and people who do not hold it above the first one are posers.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2015.
All Rights Reserved.