Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Vampire Weekend - page 2

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/75/t1237691-vampire-weekend/2.htm

Author:   George2
Date:   Mar 17, 09 at 8:55pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Vampire Weekend
-------------------------------------------
I've got their album but never listen to it, the only song I really like is A-Punk.
A lot of the times I can't understand what that guy is saying.

Author:   Maestro
Date:   Apr 17, 09 at 11:41pm (PST)
Walcott,
Don't you know
That it's insane?
Don't you want to
Get out of Cape Cod?
Out of Cape Cod tonight?

Walcott and I Stand Corrected = the best

Author:   Vector
Date:   Jun 11, 09 at 6:44pm (PST)
I just downloaded their album thanks to a suggestion from Euphoric (thanks man).

I picked up on their African influences the minute I heard Mansard Roof. Living in Africa, I can safely say most of the music here sucks. How these guys have managed to use that influence in indie rock is absolutely amazing. To add to it I don't think I've heard a more inspirational bassist in any other indie band.

This shit is gooood. Glad I gave 'em a listen.

Author:   Fleet Fox
Date:   Jun 11, 09 at 6:48pm (PST)
What about M79? It's their most brilliant song, technically, by far.. the string instruments in that song show you just exactly how talented musically this band is. You need definitive knowledge of music to write that.

Author:   The Dave
Date:   Jun 11, 09 at 7:56pm (PST)
quote Vector
I just downloaded their album thanks to a suggestion from Euphoric (thanks man).
Way to listen to me when I was raving about them this time last year in G&A.

If you like the whole Afro-pop inspired sound you should check out the Esau Mwamwaya & Radioclit version of Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa:

That's an afro-pop version of a song by a western band inspired by afro-pop. Couldn't get any more meta if you tried.

quote Fleet Fox
What about M79? It's their most brilliant song, technically, by far
Whenever I come back to their debut it is invariably M79 that strikes me as the standout track. Technically speaking it's quite simplistic but the combination of the infectious bassline, soft vocals, cutting guitar riffs and swooning strings makes for a song that is as close to indie-pop perfection as anything since The Shins.

Author:   Euphoric
Date:   Jun 12, 09 at 2:27am (PST)
Walcott is easily my favourite song of theirs. It's catchy but not in the overly repetitive sense. It remains interesting throughout the whole track which is always nice. I Stand Corrected, and Oxford Comma are both really good too. A personal favourite though is One (Blake's Got A New Face). Not for anything amazing about the track but because it is using my name in such an amusing sentence.

Author:   VulcanRaven
Date:   Jun 15, 09 at 1:02am (PST)
When I got my hands on Vampire Weekend and heard "Mansard Roof" right off the bat I had a feeling this was going to be an amazing album, but I just wasn't really feeling anything else off the album. All of the songs are really well done, no doubt, just couldn't get into them for some reason. I love the instrumental parts on "M79", especially the intro, but his vocals in that song ruin it for me. I'm looking forward to their album that's supposedly going to be released later this year. These guys have a ton of talent, can't deny that.

Author:   Fleet Fox
Date:   Jun 15, 09 at 8:29am (PST)
I read an article a few weeks ago about the singer, Ezra Koenig, that I really liked. It describes how he used to be an eighth-grade teacher and his students would tease him and whatnot because of how young he was. He got a job at some rough school right out of Columbia. Then when he formed the band, his students suddenly started seeing him on television, he'd bring his guitar to class and practice, and he even invited a few of his students to see the band live. Very cool.

Author:   The Dave
Date:   Sep 15, 09 at 9:02pm (PST)
So THAT's who Pitchfork's retro polo-babe is...

Contra

Release date: January 11th (UK) / 12th (US)

Track list:

01 Horchata
02 White Sky
03 Holiday
04 California English
05 Taxi Cab
06 Run
07 Cousins
08 Giving Up the Gun
09 Diplomat's Son
10 I Think Ur a Contra

Oh and there's currently a loop of music from/associated with the new album called contraloop4.mp3 playing on the new Contra splash page of the Vampire Weekend official site. Sounds pretty sparse and minimal compared to the material off their debut. Having said that, I've heard White Sky live and that's a pretty lively, camp affair even for Vampire Weekend.

Suffice to say I am super-stoked.

Author:   Toby
Date:   Sep 15, 09 at 9:06pm (PST)
Fine. With all the people with respectable music tastes who've posted in this thread, I'll go give their first album a listen.

Author:   Vector
Date:   Sep 15, 09 at 9:08pm (PST)
*Jizz*

But yeah, this is volumes of awesome.

Author:   Stefan
Date:   Sep 16, 09 at 3:04pm (PST)
The news of their new album has put me in a really good album. Although, the more i think about it the more i wonder if its going to succeed. Their first album had a very distinctive tone running through it, meaning that they have two options, they stick with the same tone and critics say they're a one trick pony, or, they try something new and a proportion of their fans say they dont like it.

Either way, i'll give it a shot.

Author:   Icedevil
Date:   Sep 16, 09 at 3:21pm (PST)
Watchu talkin' bout Willis? Indie bands don't make more than one good album, second one is always a colossal failure, and the third one is where they mature in sound and jazz.

Author:   thebes
Date:   Sep 18, 09 at 2:34pm (PST)
protip: a-punk is the start up song for step brothers

Author:   Styot
Date:   Sep 18, 09 at 6:13pm (PST)
Thanks for that tip, I feel my life has been enriched and fulfilled, I can know rest easy and safe in the knowledge that I possess the key information that my life was simply lacking prior to your intervention. In short, I now feel like a pro. Thank you.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.