Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Foals - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/75/t1049405-foals/

Author:   Richardlfc
Date:   Nov 29, 07 at 7:50pm (PST)
Subject:   Foals
-------------------------------------------

Foals are a five-piece dance-punk band from Oxford who play a mix of indie with elements from techno and math rock. The band are signed with Transgressive Records. A full length album is due for release around March 2008, to be produced by Dave Sitek of "TV on the Radio".

Band members:
Yannis Philippakis
Jack Bevan
Jimmy Smith
Edwin Congreave
Walter Gervers

Jack and Yannis were previously in a math rock band named The Edmund Fitzgerald but this was disbanded after they claimed that things had become "too serious" and they wanted to have more "fun making their music." Try Harder Records are set to release a retrospective of all previously released and unreleased Edmund Fitzgerald material in early 2008.

Jimmy Smith was previously a student at the University of Hull and graduated in Geography. He and Walter Gervers were in a small Oxford band called Face Meets Grill that split shortly before Foals formed. Jimmy is the only member of the band to have completed his degree. The other four members all quit their respective Universities (including Yannis and Edwin leaving courses at Oxford University) when the band signed to Transgressive.

Andrew Mears originally formed the band, playing as a guitarist and the lead singer. He was around for their first single release on Try Harder Records, Try This On Your Piano, where they had more of a math rock sound, but left after a few months so he could concentrate on Youthmovies. He was replaced by Edwin, who plays keyboards.

Lead singer Yannis Philippakis was recently voted 45 in music magazine NMEs 2007 Cool List. Drummer Jack Bevan has recently been endorsed by SJC drums.

Foals are touring with UK band Bloc Party in December and will continue to do gigs to promote their new album. They recently featured on BBC2 programme "Later with Jools Holland".

Foals Myspace

Watch this space

Author:   BANDITO ATTACK
Date:   Nov 29, 07 at 10:27pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Foals
can that dude hold his guitar a little higher up or what

cool music, i immediately thought of bloc party when i heard them. makes sense that they're touring together

Author:   GregtheGreat
Date:   Nov 30, 07 at 1:41pm (PST)
Good band, really like them. I heard Hummer on Skins and instantly fell in love with it.

Date:   Feb 29, 08 at 10:56pm (PST)
Still liking them. Balloons, Skins and Hummer are my fave tracks.

Cassius is their new track, and is out on digital download, but physical release is March 10th. I'm not too keen on it, it's not a bad track though. Crazy vid again, with Yannis looking alot like Gerard Way, or at least I think so.

Author:   GregtheGreat
Date:   Mar 01, 08 at 2:14am (PST)
I was really disappointed with the album, I had really high hopes with Hummer.

Date:   Mar 01, 08 at 10:30am (PST)
I haven't checked on the list yet, but I know they're CD versions are sometimes really different to the music videos song, which is strange. The ablum is set to come out on the 24th I think, I will definately be buying it. Yannis was on the Buzzcocks a couple of weeks back, and was pretty funny, getting some laughs from the crowd. He stood on his chair when they were doing the music performane round, saying he was too short and wanted to feel tall, in which Phill Jupitus responded "What do you do when your really fat", made me giggle.

Author:   windowlicker
Date:   Mar 01, 08 at 11:34am (PST)
I've listened to the CD versions, and I wouldn't say I was too dissapointed, but the demos are much better.

The album versions are too polished.

Date:   Mar 24, 08 at 9:32am (PST)

The debut album 'Antidotes' is released today, including hit singles Cassius and Balloons on. Also, on the special edition, is live editions of multiple tracks, and the video versions of Hummer and Mathletics.

Bought my copy already, sounding good so far.

Author:   Goyun SSJ15
Date:   Mar 24, 08 at 2:17pm (PST)
Foals...Punk? hahah Yeah right.

I like Foals though. Cassius and Hummer are really good.

Date:   Mar 24, 08 at 2:34pm (PST)
Yeah, they're not really in the punk scene. However they created they're own genre, math rock.

Date:   Mar 24, 08 at 2:46pm (PST)
I'm afraid they didn't create math rock. It's been around for quite a while. There's even Mathcore.

Date:   Mar 24, 08 at 5:14pm (PST)
Didn't they? I think on their Myspace or something it said they did, liars. :@

Date:   Mar 25, 08 at 7:16pm (PST)
Well to be honest I'm not too clued up when it comes to genres. I don't really know exactly what classifies each one, only what I know from experiences etc. Like my ideas of punk are slightly different from what punk is officiall classed as.

But I'm pretty sure math-rock has been around longer than them.

Date:   Aug 29, 08 at 10:08am (PST)
Did anyone see their performance at Reading and Leeds Festival? I thought it was very good, they seemed to have the crowd in their hands.

Author:   NEMETH10
Date:   Aug 29, 08 at 10:11am (PST)
only heard cassius and thought it was pretty good.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.