Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: [SRS] Custom Cores & Criticism - page 10

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/6563/t444033-srs-custom-cores-criticism/10.htm

Author:   Chad Ghostal
Date:   Oct 26, 04 at 6:36pm (PST)
Subject:   re: [SRS] Custom Cores & Criticism
-------------------------------------------
From what I heard and experienced no, also machine guns cause stun, especially the one with rifle damage. As for missile dodging, with those it's possible to dodge a couple of salvo's, but I credit you if what you say is true about your dodging skills.

This message was edited by Chad Ghostal on Oct 26 2004.

Author:   The_Saint
Date:   Oct 26, 04 at 8:05pm (PST)
quote Arc Royal
Body 1 doesn't have any listed weapons
Well Arc if you would have taken the time to read the entire post, i clearly stated that i have not chosen weapons or tuned it becuase i am still working on that. Also i stated that i would like some ideas on what weapons to use.

Author:   sputi
Date:   Oct 26, 04 at 8:13pm (PST)
Damnit, I'm always either too late or too early to get in on these things. Oh well, here I go anyway.

First off, hitting a comp with the GLL at 500 is easy. They don't dodge. Against a human, it's almost impossible to hit farther out than 300 with a GLL. Even with a snifle you'd be lucky to hit out past 5 or 6 hundred. But since Eschata is anti-AI, I'm not going to bitch about it. But it would be fairly easy to change it to go against humans. Simply swapping one GLL for a GERYON2 would solve most of the problems.

Now about missiles... It doesn't matter what missile launcher they use as long as you know how to dodge them right. Just make sure you're in the air when the get near you and drop to the ground when they're close. Boom they all smack the ground and you laugh at them. If they use verts, you can just juke out of the way.

Author:   Arc Royal
Date:   Oct 26, 04 at 8:59pm (PST)
quote The_Saint
quote Arc Royal
Body 1 doesn't have any listed weapons
Well Arc if you would have taken the time to read the entire post, i clearly stated that i have not chosen weapons or tuned it becuase i am still working on that. Also i stated that i would like some ideas on what weapons to use.
Sorry Saint, I was just skimming through. I noticed your second design had the slots for weapons but body 1 didn't and just assumed you had forgotten to list them. I've forgotten legs before, so, ya know, it happens. Besides, it's kinda, well, odd to just present a frame set-up and no weapons. I guess first thing you should decide is whether it should have a balanced set up of weapons to handle different kinds of threats, or whether you should specialize in a certain type (i.e. primarily missles or primarily big-damage concussive weapons, etc.).

quote sputi
Damnit, I'm always either too late or too early to get in on these things. Oh well, here I go anyway.

First off, hitting a comp with the GLL at 500 is easy. They don't dodge. Against a human, it's almost impossible to hit farther out than 300 with a GLL. Even with a snifle you'd be lucky to hit out past 5 or 6 hundred. But since Eschata is anti-AI, I'm not going to bitch about it. But it would be fairly easy to change it to go against humans. Simply swapping one GLL for a GERYON2 would solve most of the problems.

Now about missiles... It doesn't matter what missile launcher they use as long as you know how to dodge them right. Just make sure you're in the air when the get near you and drop to the ground when they're close. Boom they all smack the ground and you laugh at them. If they use verts, you can just juke out of the way.
Well, I wasn't "bitching" about it per se...

The best way to avoid verts is to dive under them, only thing is sometimes the extensions are more worrisome than the verts, but even then you can usually avoid the extension missles and still have enough time to boost forward to dodge the verts.

BTW, if anyone wanted to make a dedicated missle-boater, I'd suggest trying the one FCS that is vertically oriented. It easily has the fastest missle lock time, and some of the missles with multiple lock-ons fill up extremely quickly with this set up. If you can establish multiple lock-ons, the small missles with up to 10 locks are pretty good. Low weight, like 422 or something, a fast firing interval, and so forth. Pretty good supply of ammo too, for its weight.

This message was edited by Arc Royal on Oct 26 2004.

Date:   Oct 26, 04 at 11:07pm (PST)
I didn't say you were bitching, either.

But another thing about missiles...there are two extensions that you can kind of cheat with. I think it's the R/24 and 36, but I'm not sure on that. Anyway, if you get a few locks and mash the extension button while it's firing you can get up to four extension launches out of one volley.

Date:   Oct 26, 04 at 11:45pm (PST)
Heh, yeah, I vaguely remember hearing something about that on armored core oneline. Still, having to press the extension button quickly like that may be more effort than it's really worth. Still, might be worth trying.

Also, has anyone tested to see if left arm missles trigger extensions in Nexus?

Author:   Johnny G
Date:   Oct 27, 04 at 12:00am (PST)
quote Arc Royal
Also, has anyone tested to see if left arm missles trigger extensions in Nexus?
Nope, that's still about the most useless part ever created. A super-surpise single missile with no lock on! Score! They lose 30 AP, assuming it actually hits them. Meanwhile you've absorbed six grenades while launching your little surprise attack.

Date:   Oct 27, 04 at 12:09am (PST)
Now now JG, you know as well as I do that it does more than 30 AP's worth of damage. I'm positive I saw it do 32 once.

Too bad they didn't fix the old left arm grenade launcher to allow it to fire while holding the button down, like you can with the other grenade launchers. Instead you have to press the button for every shot. A minor inconvenience, yes, but still an unnecessary one. Still probably one of the best choices for it's weight though. JG, how positive are you that the PIXIE2 is more accurate than PIXE3? Seems to me that's the only thing that could edge PIXIE2 over the other. Without superior accuracy, it doesn't look worth the additional 150 weight for an unnecessary extra 200 ammo and insignificantly faster magazine reload time (Seriously, who has ever run out of 800 machine gun ammo in a fight they weren't screwing around in?). The fact that PIXIE3 carries 12 shots per mag compared to the 10 in PIXIE2 would seem to cancel each others' advantages out in that category.

Date:   Oct 27, 04 at 12:18am (PST)
I chose the PIXIE2 for the mag reload; the extra 200 ammo is irrelevant. I find the PIXIE3 to just be slower overall and I preferred the way the PIXIE2 offered more of a constant stream. It's just personal preference really... I tried both and I liked the 2 better. Accuracy is the same, far as I can tell; it's the M2 that has an accuracy problem.

With the recent mods to Eschata, I may take another look at PIXIE3... if there really is almost no difference I could use the weight reduction to get CICADA2 back on there, which would be nice.

PS - No hard feelin's man, I was in a sh*tty mood to begin with and your comments didn't sit well with me. But I'm more than willing to drop it if you are.

Date:   Oct 27, 04 at 12:51am (PST)
No hard feelings. If I posted a design that I spent lots of time trying to perfect, I'd want you and others to check it out with a critical eye and see what it's strengths and weaknesses were, and what changes, however minor, could be done to fine-tune it to "perfection". Also, when you've made your latest adjustments, you might want to repost it in its current form.

I think a lot of my aggression at times stems from my latent frustration at having to resort to a quad or tread to use some of the back mounted parts that I pray were made in right/left arm form. I just can't bring myself to like them.

Date:   Oct 27, 04 at 12:56am (PST)
quote Arc Royal
Also, when you've made your latest adjustments, you might want to repost it in its current form.
That's the plan. I just want to finalize all my changes first, and given my current schedule it'll likely be a few days before I come to a final decision.

Basically what I'm looking at now (in terms of changes) is:

CICADA2 -> EYE
Arms -> LORIS
L. arm WYRM -> L. arm grenades
GOLGI -> Optional parts that increase shell and energy defense

And now possibly

PIXIE2 -> PIXIE3
And if that goes through, EYE will go back to CICADA (assuming the weight all works out).

Those are the changes thus far, there may be a few more as well. I doubt I'll be going with the LADON as I just can't bear to part with my grenades. But I'm still thinking.

Date:   Oct 27, 04 at 1:03am (PST)
I'd suggest the CR-H81S4 instead, if you can afford the slightly higher weight. It's got great cooling, shell defense and energy drain for it's size. I'm finding myself using it over the QUEEN now. The only drawbacks with it are the lack of radar and low ECM rating, which you guys don't seem to care about anyway.

Date:   Oct 27, 04 at 1:05am (PST)
quote sputi
I'd suggest the CR-H81S4 instead, if you can afford the slightly higher weight. It's got great cooling, shell defense and energy drain for it's size. The only drawbacks with it are the lack of radar and low ECM rating, which you guys don't seem to care about anyway.
It matters to me: the ECM isn't pivotal, but a head mounted radar certainly is. And the more bells and whistles, the better. That'd be stuff like a bio sensor, night vision, mapping and so forth.

Date:   Oct 27, 04 at 1:12am (PST)
Which are completely superfluous in the arena. And since your core is designed purely to fight AIs, you don't really need radar. It's not like they can get behind you.

Date:   Oct 27, 04 at 1:14am (PST)
True, but my core is designed to fight the AI, not just AI ACs. I want it to be mission ready as well, hence a decent head with radar. Besides, even in the arena radar always seems to help. Certainly it doesn't hurt.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.