Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Monitor not being detected? - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/62/t1712867-monitor-not-being-detected/

Author:   hiigaran
Date:   Jan 31, 12 at 9:27pm (PST)
Subject:   Monitor not being detected?
-------------------------------------------
alright, i restarted my computer because i wanted to check some BIOS information (no i did not change anything in the BIOS, or prior to the restart), and all of a sudden, my third screen was not detected. looking at the settings in the nvidia control panel, it just shows two of my three screens being connected/detected.

thoughts? causes?

GTX 590, and no, its not a faulty GPU, because the remaining monitors are connected to different ones.

Author:   advent kid
Date:   Feb 01, 12 at 12:59am (PST)
Subject:   re: Monitor not being detected?
possible to try the monitor in a differnt desktop or laptop? need to figure out if it's a software or hardware problem

if you go into the NVIDIA control panel and under the tab for display, press 'set up multiple displays' and to the right you should be able to press ' my display is not shown in the list ' ( if it's not ) then press the box for 'rigorous display detection'

Date:   Feb 01, 12 at 1:02am (PST)
done that already. and its not the monitor. ive already checked that as well.

Author:   ark angel1
Date:   Feb 04, 12 at 8:05pm (PST)
try checking the cord that connects the monitor to the system, or whatever you use to do that, it might damaged or not connected properly

Date:   Feb 08, 12 at 3:07am (PST)
this is absolutely weird. i wiped my system for an unrelated issue, and now the screen is working again...this computer has a bloody mind of its own...

Author:   Freeze
Date:   Feb 08, 12 at 11:09am (PST)
Just like in the other thread, I say you might have hardware issues on hand here. Most likely mobo related.

Date:   Feb 08, 12 at 11:45am (PST)
oh for *bleep*s sake, its doing it again. this time, it happened while i was installing chipset drivers. now i dont know how to remove them. theres no uninstall, system restore doesnt help, and theres nothing in the programs list.

readme title:

• Product: Intel(R) Chipset Device Software
  • Release: Production Version
  • Version: 9.2.0.1030
  • Target Products: Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family
  • 2nd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) processor family
  • Date: April 15 2011

Author:   Ren of Heavens
Date:   Feb 08, 12 at 8:29pm (PST)
If you swap the monitors around, does the problem follow the monitor or does it stay with that port?

Also, before Windows is loaded (BIOS etc) no drivers are loaded so it shouldn't be a driver issue.

Date:   Feb 08, 12 at 8:52pm (PST)
If you swap the monitors around, does the problem follow the monitor or does it stay with that port?
same port

Also, before Windows is loaded (BIOS etc) no drivers are loaded so it shouldn't be a driver issue.
sadly, theres no way for me to activate the monitors at the BIOS stage, so i cant tell if it works at that point. the only information i have to go on is that it worked right after a clean install of windows, up until the chipset drivers were installed. its definitely software, but i cant pin it down...

Author:   Ren of Heavens
Date:   Feb 09, 12 at 1:18pm (PST)
quote hiigaran
sadly, theres no way for me to activate the monitors at the BIOS stage, so i cant tell if it works at that point.
Ah, that sucks. The ATi/AMD cards duplicate the primary monitor across all outputs until told otherwise by the drivers, assumed Nvidia was the same

Date:   Feb 15, 12 at 8:20pm (PST)
okay got an update for you - i received the adapter, but it still doesnt work. im more than convinced it is a software issue

Author:   Tirvon
Date:   Aug 17, 12 at 4:56pm (PST)
I have this same issue. GTX 670, in the middle of a game, stops detecting my main monitor. It's happened b4 but all I had to do was reinstall the drivers, and it would detect all the monitors again. Now, it is following from the 1080p main monitor to the smaller 1280x1024 that used to be auto-detected as the main, and I switched cables to verify it WASN'T the monitor because either or will be detected in the one port, and not the other, but if I have only one of the two plugged in, it will detect it. It is only an issue when I have BOTH plugged in, it will not detect the one port (using both DVI ports, HDMI port is immune to this apparently). ANY clue what is causing this? I am almost ready to start trying installing old driver sets b/c it seems to be related to the new updated drivers somehow (currently using the latest WHQL drivers).

Author:   NPG-70
Date:   Aug 22, 12 at 1:37am (PST)
Having similar issue with GTX670.

Had been running two monitors happily since the cards came out and 4 days ago I started to get randomn system crashes. After some unsuccessful fault-finding, I did a clean install of windows and reinstalled nvidia drivers and now only one monitor is ever detected through both windows and and nVidia's control panel. Both monitors work fine, both cables etc just not at the same time!!!
Have tested SSD and Memory, both of which are working fine.
Am now trying to establish weather its GPU hardware or software.

2x GTX670 SLI
GA-Z68X-UD7
i7 2600K

Author:   SluggishFighter
Date:   Aug 02, 14 at 1:42pm (PST)
Gtx 590 second monitor asus vg278h plug in with Samsung monitor (model unknown). Only the Samsung gets detected easily in duel mode. Plug in asus by it self windows still loads but blank screen. Ok shut down computer plug in both monitors
Did what this feller says then it works......

"if you go into the NVIDIA control panel and under the tab for display, press 'set up multiple displays' and to the right you should be able to press ' my display is not shown in the list ' ( if it's not ) then press the box for 'rigorous display detection"

Great then shut down computer start it up again and dang it back to same problem with just one monitor working.... it's not holding on the settings. ....

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.