Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Setup.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/62/t1378042-setup-exe-has-encountered-problem-needs-to-close/

Author:   MAD_DOG86
Date:   Jun 13, 09 at 10:56pm (PST)
Subject:   Setup.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.
-------------------------------------------
I'm getting the error:

"Setup.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."
when I launch setup to install some games. The computer used to work fine, and still does for programs, but I keep getting this error. I got 8 games, and I get this error for 7 out of 8. Tried one of the games on the laptop and the install shield launched so I have no idea what is going on. I searched for the error and found a lot of pages but most of them are related to a program which the people are advised to download again, but the setups are on cds. I'd appreciate any help you can give me.

Author:   Nu Wa Rocks
Date:   Jun 14, 09 at 4:06am (PST)
Subject:   re: Setup.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.
I'm trying to remember how to fix this problem, i have encountered it before, and I believe the solution is to clear out the install shield files. I forget where they are at, but clearing this out will allow the setup file to continue. I believe the problem is that a while back on your PC, the setup files for install shield (in general) got corrupted and is still being used to install programs that have been packaged by Install shield.

*Edit: i found a site that says to delete the install shield folder under C:\program files\commonfiles
The next time you install something useing install shield, that folder will be created again with the new install shield files (hopefully getting rid of the corrupted install shield previous files).

Date:   Jun 14, 09 at 10:35am (PST)
Thanks, I thought as much. Thought reinstalling installshield or windows installer might fix it, but I wasn't sure. Would just reinstalling it work or do I need to delete those files? and I'd appreciate a download link for windows xp, professional, SP3. I found the main site but it seems you can only download an evaluation from there. and thanks for the help.

Date:   Jun 15, 09 at 3:40pm (PST)
bump, anybody?

Date:   Jun 15, 09 at 4:41pm (PST)
You don't need to re-install Installshield. The next time you install any sofware that uses install shield, installshield will install itself. This is the same for the Microsoft installer (.msi). Just delete the insallshield folder and then try to install any software that uses Installshield.

Date:   Jun 17, 09 at 2:53pm (PST)
sorry for the late reply, got finals and stuff, anyway, I deleted the folder but I'm still getting the error. I kept the folder in the recycle bin just in case it didn't work, not sure if that would affect it.

Date:   Jun 17, 09 at 4:53pm (PST)
Microsoft site suggest to run windows update and see if that helps fix your problem. They have acknowledge that there is a problem with this and update might resolve it.

Date:   Jun 18, 09 at 10:39am (PST)
That's the thing, I heard it might fix it but I can't use windows update because they now check for illegal software. (I didn't install the software, my computer came with an illegal copy of windows when I bought it).

Date:   Jun 18, 09 at 4:34pm (PST)
Well, try this:

1. Download Firefox
2. Go to this site and use Firefox to update your windows:
http://windizupdate.com/

I basically googled: firefox windows update

Date:   Jun 19, 09 at 12:31pm (PST)
Thanls, I'll try that. I use FF but when I went to the windows update site those bastards wouldn't let me update. Had to go there with IE, but like I said, I couldn't update because of the WGA adware.

Date:   Jun 19, 09 at 2:46pm (PST)
checked it out to see if it was safe, seems the project is discontinued. Don;t know how long it hasn't been updated but sounds like a while.

Date:   Jun 19, 09 at 5:31pm (PST)
Damn... I was checking it out and didn't realize they stopped the project. I don't see of any other way to get you updates without going to Microsoft's site.

Date:   Jun 20, 09 at 8:22am (PST)
Well thanks for the help. I'll try installing installshield again. Is there a way to uninstall it or should I delete some of the files only, or is it okay to just delete the whole folder? I was checking for installshield errors and one site said to delete a single folder inside and then download an update file, but that was for another error.

I also downloaded the installer for windows installer, should I uninstall the old one before installing the new one? or do I just install the new one and it will replace the old one.

Date:   Jun 20, 09 at 12:25pm (PST)
If you can, for the windows installer, remove the original, then install the one you downloaded. For the installshield, remove the install shoield folder within th common files folder, then run a setup that uses installshield to setup.

Date:   Jun 20, 09 at 1:17pm (PST)
I already deleted the folder for the installshield but when I launched the setup I still got the error. Don't even know if the installation uses installshield or windows installer. Could be WI since I deleted the folder and still got the error. Do you know where the folder for WI is? or how to remove it.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.