Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Fennekin's attack in the trailer... - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/60943/t1816381-fennekins-attack-in-trailer/

Author:   RegalBryant
Date:   Jan 10, 13 at 11:16am (PST)
Subject:   Fennekin's attack in the trailer...
-------------------------------------------
Most speculation about Fennekin's second attack claims it to be Psychic. But I thought that maybe it was how stat altering moves look in this Generation. Does this seem plausable?

Author:   Kanon
Date:   Jan 10, 13 at 2:26pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Fennekin's attack in the trailer...
Kirlia flinched to getting hit by it.

At the very least I'm fairly certain that never happened in previous 3D games with stat lowering attacks.

I mean hey, it could be changed, I'm just saiyan.

Author:   Sigma
Date:   Jan 10, 13 at 2:47pm (PST)
I wouldn't doubt it, to be completely honest. I mean, they said that they changed the whole battle system, which could have resulted in stat lowering moves looking something along the lines of that. :3

Author:   FluffySk1lls
Date:   Jan 10, 13 at 4:32pm (PST)
Even though it looks like Confusion, Psywave, or something of that caliber, it could very well be stat-altering. Even Psych Up for that matter, which could support or break down the thoughts of Fennekin being part-Psychic in its final evolution.

Author:   Unseen Steal
Date:   Jan 10, 13 at 4:57pm (PST)
I'd like to think that it's a Psychic move, but even as far back as Pokemon Stadium 1 pokemon flinched from status moves like Screech.

The fact that they chose that exact move in the trailer makes me think it's Psychic though since it appears that Chespin is using Nightslash whilst Froaxie is using Close Combat.

The fact that Kirlia is already a Psychic type is irrelevant since Litwick is using a fire move on Psyduck.

Author:   Jill Owns All
Date:   Jan 10, 13 at 5:22pm (PST)
I can't imagine Froakie is using Close Combat in that trailer. If anything, to me, it looks like Quick Attack.

Date:   Jan 10, 13 at 5:25pm (PST)
quote Jill Owns All
I can't imagine Froakie is using Close Combat in that trailer. If anything, to me, it looks like Quick Attack.
You don't think that it's possible that they're setting it up so that they reversed the type advantage of the secondary typing so that all starters are on a level playing field?

Date:   Jan 10, 13 at 5:35pm (PST)
quote Unseen Steal
quote Jill Owns All
You don't think that it's possible that they're setting it up so that they reversed the type advantage of the secondary typing so that all starters are on a level playing field?
No, it seems to make sense, honestly. Fennekin imo was using Extrasensory or Confusion and Chespin used Night Slash. That could leave Froakie to be a Fighting type, but don't you think it would show the Fighting symbol like gen 4 and 5? Same with Mach Punch, even. Froakie kind of just ran around really fast. Makes it seem like Quick Attack and not anything Fighting. But the potential is still there.

Date:   Jan 10, 13 at 5:38pm (PST)
Well it is called close combat, if you look at the video he comes close to the opponent before performing the attack action.

Date:   Jan 10, 13 at 6:28pm (PST)
quote Unseen Steal
Well it is called close combat, if you look at the video he comes close to the opponent before performing the attack action.
Well, you gotta be pretty close for all the physical attacks! lol
Scratch, Quick Attack, Headbutt, Waterfall, Volt Tackle, Karate Chop...only one of those is a Fighting move and none are Close Combat.

Date:   Jan 10, 13 at 6:46pm (PST)
Fennekin's move is maybe Psywave.
It's all wavy and shit, you know?

As for Froakie, it's trippin balls, it's got to be priority or something that is multiple hits. Quick Attack does not suit it's body shape. Fury Swipes and Attack also kind of want something sharp. That to me brings it down to Mach Punch, or the multi-hitting rampage of Close Combat.

Date:   Jan 10, 13 at 7:07pm (PST)
Quick Attack doesn't suit a frog? Hopping all over the place? But Close Combat does fit his body type? I'd say it suits a frog with the design of Froakie more than Delibird or Pinsir or Bidoof.

Author:   Quixotic
Date:   Jan 10, 13 at 7:13pm (PST)
Maybe the move Froakie used is a brand new move. I do also think that it might've been Close Combat.

Author:   Squiggle
Date:   Jan 10, 13 at 11:03pm (PST)
I wouldn't have thought that the move would've necessarily been Psychic, although I do still think it was a Psychic move, perhaps.

Date:   Jan 10, 13 at 11:38pm (PST)
quote Jill Owns All
Quick Attack doesn't suit a frog? Hopping all over the place? But Close Combat does fit his body type? I'd say it suits a frog with the design of Froakie more than Delibird or Pinsir or Bidoof.
Look at the learnbase, it's mostly mammals and birds, they're more 'agile' than frogs.
A frog might be able to propel itself far with with a hop, but it wouldn't be able to do like the animation and hop circles around the target, it can only hop foward.

Close Combat I admit is somewhat off, but all it has to do is bulk up a bit on later forms and it'd be fine, considering it's power, Close Combat is probably learnt loooong after it should have evolved but none the less is still in Froakie's moveset. I mean hey, look at Chespin using what is generally agreed to be Night Slash with his flippers for hands, I'm sure later forms will have claws which make sense to Night Slash with.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.