Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Moderator's Corner - page 14

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/60943/t1815614-moderators-corner/14.htm

Author:   Mouldy Cheese
Date:   Jan 31, 13 at 12:08am (PST)
Subject:   re: Moderator's Corner
-------------------------------------------
quote ShinyMilotic
A general news thread sounds alright, it has been done in the past. I'm interested to see what these screenshots you speak of are Mouldy Cheese!
Haha, they're nothing overly exciting. Just some pictures of gyms and stuff that I think were in the trailer but sort of not-recognised at the time. Nothing overly thrilling :<

Author:   Best Player Ever
Date:   Jan 31, 13 at 6:27am (PST)
I'll support a news thread, since it'll be easier to post smaller things like the screenshots Mouldy Cheese is talking about without it having to make a dedicated thread just for the screens. I think it'll make the forum look cleaner in the long run, when we get more announcements about the games.

Author:   Virtue
Date:   Jan 31, 13 at 7:30pm (PST)
"General" news threads worry me for quite a few reasons. For one, I have a feeling we would be essentially taking any X/Y news and throwing it all into one simple thread. This stunts discussion, which would make the thread more confusing than anything. Who's to decide what is and isn't "minor" news? Granted, the really little things may not gather much discussion, but I don't consider any type of news unworthy for its own thread. If no one has anything to say about it, the replies won't last very long. However, I'd rather that then have a bunch of news thrown into one singular thread and not have anything good come out of it.

With the lack of activity we're seeing in the game forums, I would have to say the more separate news threads, the better. The forum may look "cleaner", but what would the thread end up looking like on a big news day? These are mostly rhetorical questions, but I can't say I like the idea very much. Perhaps Gotenks can help me out with some further clarification.

Author:   Chaos Team
Date:   Jan 31, 13 at 7:38pm (PST)
Yeah the "general" threads aren't usually supported from what I've seen. I like the new threads popping up for news. It's hard to know when news is posted in a news thread, sorta. xD If that made sense.

Author:   Sigma
Date:   Jan 31, 13 at 7:52pm (PST)
Hey Virtue, how about instead of a general new thread we add a thread tag specifically for news? That has seemed to work well in other forums in the past. :3

Author:   Gotenks
Date:   Jan 31, 13 at 7:55pm (PST)
As of the past year or so, we've been generally been trying to move away from having one general "news" threads. That's why you don't see a ton of them being made these days. We don't really think general news topics because like Virtue said, they will stunt discussion. Some "minor" news may get more discussion than others do but if you group them all together then it will hurt the discussion growth more than making a new thread. And as a catmod myself, we are looking to build a community with healthy discussion and not stick it in one thread. That's why On-Topic GDs are being done away with too.

Not to mention like Chaos Team pointed it, if something is posted in a general "news" thread then it can easily be skipped over than if it was its own thread.

E: You posted while I was typing this Sigma. But yes, that works really well. I'll throw it up there now. I assume the header links are fine by everyone and I can add those too?

Author:   ShinyMilotic
Date:   Jan 31, 13 at 10:47pm (PST)
Fair enough, besides some new images there probably isn't much to discuss as far as 'minor news' anyways, new Pokemon and game details warrant their own threads. Maybe the fan-art thread can be upgraded to general (lol another general thread) image thread so screen shots can be thrown in there too. I never saw the point of general on-topic discussions haha. I like the tag idea, that will make sifting through the threads for news a bit easier when things get busier around here.

Author:   Midnight
Date:   Feb 01, 13 at 3:53pm (PST)
Virtue
I've noticed that Kinetic and Kubrick's names didn't get put under the footer for credit for their graphics. I know it isn't completely necessary, but I think it would be nice to see a thank you or credit for their contributions with their header and footer.

Date:   Feb 01, 13 at 9:29pm (PST)
quote Midnight
Virtue
I've noticed that Kinetic and Kubrick's names didn't get put under the footer for credit for their graphics. I know it isn't completely necessary, but I think it would be nice to see a thank you or credit for their contributions with their header and footer.

It's up there now; thanks for the reminder! I was going to but I somehow managed to forget all this time.

Author:   Thrawn
Date:   Feb 02, 13 at 8:56pm (PST)
I agree that general news threads are horrible discussion builders, because all they do is take away topics that could potentially be started as threads on the forum.

General News threads suck the life out of forums imo.

Author:   Sigma
Date:   Feb 07, 13 at 8:14pm (PST)
Hey Virtue, would you mind adding Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity to the subforums? The forum itself has a lot of potential, but I feel like it isn't getting the attention it deserves. :3

squiggle bath agrees. xD

Author:   Squiggle
Date:   Feb 07, 13 at 8:17pm (PST)
quote Sigma
Hey Virtue, would you mind adding Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity to the subforums? The forum itself has a lot of potential, but I feel like it isn't getting the attention it deserves. :3

squiggle bath agrees. xD

Yesh yesh yesh! :3 It's so sad to see the forum with no love. It really could do with a lot more activity.

Author:   Chaos Team
Date:   Feb 07, 13 at 8:37pm (PST)
I also agree with squiggle bath and Sigma! It's coming out in what, a month? >:

Author:   Gotenks
Date:   Feb 07, 13 at 8:52pm (PST)
I could do it myself but I'll let Virtue take care of it. He's getting notifications so I don't want to disappoint him.

But I'll add X&Y to the Gates of Infinity forum.

Date:   Feb 07, 13 at 9:08pm (PST)
Haha, it's all taken care of. I wouldn't want to disappoint.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.