Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: This game is ruining my interest in FM!!! - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/59286/t1818839-this-game-ruining-my-interest-in-fm/

Author:   savage7784
Date:   Jan 16, 13 at 11:27am (PST)
Subject:   This game is ruining my interest in FM!!!
-------------------------------------------
I thought the updates would solve this but i literally can't get going in a game. Been various teams now and can't do even slightly well with any games. Had 1 promotion with port vale and that is literally the only thing i have come close to doing.

I've seen various other people complain how hard this game is and i couldn't agree more. I've tried everything. Different formations, different teams, different tactics and can't do anything.

Is anyone else finding this??? I'm guessing the update is automatic on steam aswell because its the first year i've used it.

Author:   nufcfan
Date:   Jan 16, 13 at 1:35pm (PST)
Subject:   re: This game is ruining my interest in FM!!!
I find the game a lot more in depth meaning to do well u need to find a balance between solid and expressive as well as changing things when needed where on old games u could pick a formation and players and win, look at big spenders they don't always win u still need to find the rite way to play, just stick at the game, post some ss of ur tactics etc see if any1 can help you and go from there, do not just give up or post a message about doing bad, we can all help each other in here

Author:   adchick
Date:   Jan 19, 13 at 9:32am (PST)
I'm still not too sure about this game. It seems more like your a passenger rather than the manager.

I've had really bad games, despite playing everyone to their strengths and really analyzing the team. And then I've had games where I win everything. Even got Benfica to the semi of the champs league and only went out on away goals to Barca. And that was just playing a 442 I found online and wedging my players into it without much thought.

I'm tempted to expand my experiment from the last game. I played the same match over and over and the difference in results was massive. I beat them 5-0 in one game then lost 3-1 the next. Obviously you need a bit of random, but that much difference on the same day, players, morale, conditions, tactics? The chance of that happening in real life is tiny, and on a game where it's about your input entirely, makes the game pointless.

I've seen some people on here do some pretty amazing jobs, but I guarantee they have very poor games as well, like the rest of us. The last few games just seem like picking a team and hoping it works out.

Even after this though, I still play the game loads! I'm just hoping to find that next team that clicks.

Author:   harbin
Date:   Jan 19, 13 at 9:40am (PST)
The issues for me is largely down to the glitchy and random match engine. They've tried to take the emphasis off pure tactics and on to motivation aswell but it is still too random. Granted teams have bad days IRL and players can make a horrendous decision but it happens to often in game. The match engine still feels too beta at times.

Author:   constantplanck
Date:   Jan 19, 13 at 9:48am (PST)
quote adchick
I'm still not too sure about this game. It seems more like your a passenger rather than the manager.

I've had really bad games, despite playing everyone to their strengths and really analyzing the team. And then I've had games where I win everything. Even got Benfica to the semi of the champs league and only went out on away goals to Barca. And that was just playing a 442 I found online and wedging my players into it without much thought.

I'm tempted to expand my experiment from the last game. I played the same match over and over and the difference in results was massive. I beat them 5-0 in one game then lost 3-1 the next. Obviously you need a bit of random, but that much difference on the same day, players, morale, conditions, tactics? The chance of that happening in real life is tiny, and on a game where it's about your input entirely, makes the game pointless.

I've seen some people on here do some pretty amazing jobs, but I guarantee they have very poor games as well, like the rest of us. The last few games just seem like picking a team and hoping it works out.

Even after this though, I still play the game loads! I'm just hoping to find that next team that clicks.
Was going to post a long reply but you saved me the trouble.

The "passenger" point is especially true...even though there are more things to manipulate than ever I have never actually felt that my decisions have mattered less in a FM game.

Author:   AndyD_U
Date:   Jan 19, 13 at 10:22am (PST)
I feel the main FM is just got a bit to in depth for me as on FM12 i could get through a season in a week on a fun game but with FM13 it just feels like a chore loading the thing up

I guess my main complaint is the tactics have just become to in depth in that i have to spend 10/15 minute before each game setting them up then have to take another 10/15 minutes watching the game just to make shouts all the time. That is the only way i can get a result in this game but its so boring doing that, ive tried doing what i have done for past FM games by making 3 tactics defending, standard and attack then just tweaking during the season, but that fails miserably.

Im gonna give the game a few more goes after the new patch because each new game im starting at the moment is lasting shorter and shorter

Author:   DragonAndLance
Date:   Jan 19, 13 at 10:32am (PST)
No problems or complaints from here. You most likely just need some help on tactics, post em up.

Also, to the point of random is good.. Yes a result can go anyway on anyday.. City V Arsenal, who knows how the scoreline would have looked if no red card.. or if the penalty went in..

Who knows what would have happened if in the World Cup, Spain V Netherlands, the corner that Netherlands should have had in leading moments to Spain's goal, who knows.

Anything can happen on match day, thats the beauty of football.

I have never had as much control as this years; I personally hand pick each position, slider, etc, for each player to get the best out of them and I do.

I interact with my players and make sure they're happy, try my best not to play them if they're unhappy, etc.

Author:   savage7784
Date:   Jan 20, 13 at 2:50am (PST)
I completely agree with i think this game has just gone a bit too far. I understand a few will like how depth you have to go but the feeling you get from the majority is that this year is one of the poorest yet from football manager.

I've had good games don't get me wrong but also games that have been horrendous and couldn't do a thing right. I've not done anything different from game to game either, not tried any harder not gone more in depth yet the differences are drastic.

Is there another patch due and if there is when??

Could be the last throw of the dice

Author:   Justplayingitcool
Date:   Jan 20, 13 at 3:40am (PST)

Author:   AndyD_U
Date:   Jan 20, 13 at 4:07am (PST)
quote savage7784
I completely agree with i think this game has just gone a bit too far. I understand a few will like how depth you have to go but the feeling you get from the majority is that this year is one of the poorest yet from football manager.

I've had good games don't get me wrong but also games that have been horrendous and couldn't do a thing right. I've not done anything different from game to game either, not tried any harder not gone more in depth yet the differences are drastic.

Is there another patch due and if there is when??

Could be the last throw of the dice
They are updating this thread as they make the current update

Author:   Cashis
Date:   Jan 20, 13 at 4:18am (PST)
quote constantplanck
The "passenger" point is especially true...even though there are more things to manipulate than ever I have never actually felt that my decisions have mattered less in a FM game.
Agreed. Not a patch on FM11 for example.

Author:   tfa
Date:   Jan 20, 13 at 6:55am (PST)
My pet hate about this game is the Long Shot option in player tactics. Always have it on Rarely but they just shoot from 40 yards out all the time and never powerful shots, tame pathetic shots which the keeper saves with his feet easily!

Author:   YidArmy617
Date:   Jan 20, 13 at 10:53am (PST)
quote justplayingitcool

Author:   Carlyon
Date:   Jan 20, 13 at 3:23pm (PST)
If you're finding it hard then I suggest playing the classic mode in order to get in to the swing of things.

Author:   Cashis
Date:   Jan 20, 13 at 3:26pm (PST)
quote tfa
My pet hate about this game is the Long Shot option in player tactics. Always have it on Rarely but they just shoot from 40 yards out all the time and never powerful shots, tame pathetic shots which the keeper saves with his feet easily!
It's absolutely horrendous in the lower leagues - they shoot from miles out constantly and it usually goes out for a throw in. There appears to be no concept of holding it up - if there's no options in front of the player he just shoots. Woeful.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.