Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Rangers Football Club - Team Discussion - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/59286/t1782869-rangers-football-club-team-discussion/

Author:   c_lynch
Date:   Oct 27, 12 at 1:46pm (PST)
Subject:   Rangers Football Club - Team Discussion
-------------------------------------------

Rangers Football Club – Team Discussion.

“No matter the days of anxiety that come our way,
we shall emerge stronger because of the trials to be overcome." - Bill Struth.”

So, finally it’s back to the football. After months of torment this great club finally seems to have a direction, a fresh start. Are you the man too lead us too new heights? Can you be the man to write a new chapter in this fallen giants history, help it rise up from the ashes? Due to reasons I’m sure you are aware of, Rangers now find themselves in the IRN-BRU Scottish Division Three. The fourth tier of Scottish football. Rangers have arguably the most illustrious history of any Scottish club, It has been crowned champions of Scotland 54 times and even had success in the European cup winners cup in 1972, the 100 year anniversary of the clubs founding. Have a look HERE for a look an in depth look at the clubs history. However, lets talk about the future. As you might expect success and perhaps dominance of Scottish football is the minimum expectation of you. The challenge that has not been met by many Rangers managers however is too crack European football, something the worldwide fanbase would long to see, maybe when the rebuilding is done you can be one of the few.

Infrastructure

Before we talk about what you have on the park, its important too look at the infrastructure of the club – its foundations if you will. By this I mean facilities; training, youth and recruitment, and of course the stadium.

Ibrox stadiumThe stadium will hold a 51’000 capacity crowd, it interestingly is rated five-stars by UEFA, it is one of Europes finest footballing arenas. Every second week, the highest attendance in Scotland for the said week will come from the fourth tier, this will be a significant help too you , especially since paying close attention too finances and maintaining a healthy bank balance will be imperative for the club in the next few years. Although unfortunately FM doesnt quite replicate the attendances and underestimates the amount of people who actually have been turning up to home games.

Training facilities - The training and youth facilities available too you are of the highest quality and undoubtedly a serious asset too you. After a shake up of your coaches you should be able too not only improve your current squad but nurture your own , home-grown talent. Emphasis on youth is something which I would say should be very high, use this fresh start too breed your own next generation, maybe even revolutionize the club from the bottom, introduce a Swansea like style or whatever, you can make the club your own – put your stamp on it due to this fresh start. Youth Development can and should be a part of this.

The Squad

The class of 2012/13 is not at all similar to the squad that opened the 2011/12 season, many have came and gone, many jumped ship immediately when the club entered administration, some refused to sign up in the summer. Though they are not of importance. Here are the men who stayed, the ones who were still standing, loyal and proud when the smoke cleared and the dust settled.

You have your first choice who was Allan McGregor’s number two for several years before Scotlands #1 departed in the summer. Neil is a very solid goalkeeper who should hold down the spot no problem. Signing a goalkeeper or two may be a good idea just incase Alexander suffers an injury and you feel Gallacher and Currie arent adequate enough.

Your first choice left back should be Lee Wallace. Very talented Scottish left back who can do a solid job on the left side of midfield. Solid defensively but in the lower divisions of Scotland I would suggest you see too it he spends more time going forward than defending as he has a good range of attacking talents. He is very effective playing at wing back and pitches in with tons of assists. Back-up is required though. I personally signed Barry Douglas from Dundee Utd for a just £60k.

Your Centre backs do lack any real pace but this is an area of the pitch that doesn't need attention straight away. There is also one or two youngsters who have good stas that can do a job if really needed. Cribari, a solid Brazilian defender, again experienced and has had many years in the Seria A is a good option at centre back. ANd you will likely partner him with Ross Perry, one of Rangers own, a massive player in my squad in FM12 and hopefully the same in 13, has the credentials to be so, another great option and at a good age.

Right back isn't one of your strongest positions but you do have Anestis Argyriou, who although doesn't have outstanding stats, plays very well for me in a similar role to Lee Wallace.

Centre Midfield is a very strong area with lots of potential. Firstly you have Ian Black SPL quality holding midfielder. Another Scotland international recently signed on a free after departing Hearts in the summer. Strong in the tackle, experienced and solid on the ball. Key part of your midfield. McCulloch can also play there, but you may choose to play him upfront. Same can be said for Sheils, although you may with to play him further up the pitch, in behind the striker. In there there is also two homegrown players in Hutton and MacLeod who can be very effective if they are to be needed.

David Templeton is the main creative force in your team. Dribbling skills and pace in abundance and will rip up the wings and behind the striker for years to come. Aird is a pacey wee player aswell who can do a good job. Also if you do sign Douglas, you could field him or Wallace further up the pitch if its needed.

Dean Shiels looks to be a quality player in this position and should provide and score some a good amount of goals. Depth however doesnt seem too good. Fraser Aird has potential but predominantly as a winger. Inspite of it being Barrie McKay's natural position in real life, he is apparently an out and out striker in fm so his potential is in the striker position. If possible (and if you want too play with an AMC,) i'd suggest a signing in this area.

Shiels and Templeton are well capable out wide however some depth wouldn't go a miss. A young signing is probably all thats needed here for now.

Inspite of a lack of pace, given the right service the likes of McCulloch, Sandaza and Little will score bucketloads in the lower divisions. Mckay should get loads of game time.

KEY PLAYERS:
Lee Wallace:- Very talented Scottish left back who can do a solid job on the left side of midfield. Solid defensively but in the lower divisions of Scotland I would suggest you see too it he spends more time going forward than defending as he has a good range of attacking talents.
Ian Black:- spl quality holding midfielder. Another Scotland international recently signed on a free after departing Hearts in the summer. Strong in the tackle, experienced and solid on the ball. Key part of your midfield.

David Templeton:- the main creative force in your team. Dribbling skills and pace in abundance and will rip up the wings and behind the striker for years to come.

So that’s what we are working with. Enough quality is there for a couple of seasons, however some more depth is needed and quality in one or two positions. Reducing the squad age is also necessary .

Upon first glance I’d suggest back up in both full back areas, an AMC as well as a pacey striker and if you feel necessary one more CB wouldn’t go a miss. Wide areas also need improvement , the quality you feel is needed is up to you as is the allocation of your budget you will set aside for wingers but you do need one or two. Central midfield is perfectly fine and I would only recommend a youth prospect if you insist on a purchase in this area.

Tactics And Formations *I'll add to this soon after i have a play around and hear other peoples suggestions*

Who to Buy?

Barry Douglas:- Cultured left back who i had great experiences with im FM12,( i had him in my team all through a 12 in a row save) and he looks too be a good addition to the left hand side this year as well , especially when he can be attained for £60k.

Omar Kossoko:- Probably the most popular across the board on here. Talented wide man who tears up the left hand side in most peoples saves. A quality AML available on a Free

Thomas Piermeyr (sp) :- Another well rounded full back and can cover LB as well as his natural RB. A must sign Free.

Mathias Bossaerts:- Belgian teenage CB , done a terrific job over a two year loan for me along side Gassparoto from the 2nd through to end of the 3rd season.

Callum Patterson:- More too this lad than meets the eye. So much potential and scores for fun in my side. Works well as an Advanced Forward and i picked him up for £100k second season.

Ryan Gauld:- So much potential. Operates superbly in the AMC and CM positions inspite of being a Natural LM ( he could be a good wide player if he improves on his pace). Im Not sure about a price as i got him for 98k first season but a friend of mine said Dundee United weren't interested in his save.

Thomas Lemar:- Again im unsure about this guy and his situation will be different on other peoples games. However on mine i got him on a Pre-Contract in January 2013. A star in the making at CM or AMC. Do youre best to try get him but i cant promise he'll be available.
(Also when buying players , dont be afraid to buy more than you think you need in terms of numbers, as the club faces a 12 month transfer ban commencing September 1st.)

And here we go, time for the revival. Hope we can get good interest on this years game! (also any comments or constructive criticisms are welcome on this as its my first guide, cheers for reading.)

Also, big thanks to Macleod77 for helping out on this

Author:   IcarusAbides
Date:   Oct 27, 12 at 2:52pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Rangers Football Club - Team Discussion
Brilliant OP, I plan on playing as Rangers on my next save so this will be very handy for me. For some reason I have managed to completely block out all information about the transfer ban, I didn't realise that they had a 12 month ban.

That will make the save a little more challenging although the standard of league will balance it out I suppose.

Author:   Stu
Date:   Oct 27, 12 at 3:02pm (PST)
nice opening post!

probs have a game with them at some stage, should be interesting.

Date:   Oct 27, 12 at 3:03pm (PST)
quote IcarusAbides
Brilliant OP, I plan on playing as Rangers on my next save so this will be very handy for me. For some reason I have managed to completely block out all information about the transfer ban, I didn't realise that they had a 12 month ban.

That will make the save a little more challenging although the standard of league will balance it out I suppose.
Thanks and yeah I thought it'd be important too let everyone know about the ban because I think that this year there's gonna be some more intrest from non rangers fans due it being a decent challenge this year. Bringing in some youth and developing the already decent talents you have , as well as the poor standard of opponents as you say should take care of that. It does add another interesting dynamic to the game though....

Author:   Chelsfccg
Date:   Oct 27, 12 at 4:21pm (PST)
I will post about my save here aswell then now that the discussion is set up so here goes:

I signed a few extra players more or less for depth knowing that I won't be able to sign players for a year when the embargo comes into place. Omar Kossoko is someone I recommend as a must buy as his wages are cheap and he is brilliant in any Scottish Team or League:

And here is my squad come the end of the season:

With Bocanegra and Goian back from loan I released Balde and also looking to sell Cribari and Stalteri who has declined rapidly meaning Argyriou will get a chance to play this season, Pires will also most likely be sold. Stella was also sold for 5k as was Ben Parker for 10 k as board automatically accepted offer due to being in an embargo.

Author:   leckuno
Date:   Oct 28, 12 at 1:42am (PST)
Would highly recommend signing Omar Kossoko for AMR he has run absolute riot for me over the first season. got 12 goals and 13 assists in 24 matches

Author:   Ryan82
Date:   Oct 28, 12 at 3:39am (PST)
I always start as rangers as I am a supporter IRL however I have found this save to be so easy it takes the fun away - unrealistic loan signigs for 2 seasons with no wages including - Mackie, Maloney, McArthur, Allen, Demel, Gomez, Herd, Ameobi all prem players to name but a few, currently in first division and since the start of the 3rd division I have only lost one league game (fluke by dumbarton may I add lol), My only hope is that when I reach the SPL and achieve euro football that it might make the game a bit harder.

Date:   Oct 28, 12 at 4:22am (PST)
Europe is always a bit of a nightmare the first few years. This year will be even harder. Gonna play a bit of the demo but my main save will be a new one on the full game I think, the "quick start" games are kinda shit, not a lot of players and a lot of them have masked attributes. One signing Ive made though is Richard Britian , from Ross county seems a good all round cm who you can get for 40k and £900 a week!

As for the OP I'll be adding tactics and suggested signings and stuff when the game is released , that Benin player looks to be a decent shout though. Obviously there will be more selection in the full game.

Author:   chrisburns1
Date:   Oct 28, 12 at 4:50am (PST)
I've started up as Rangers and i think i've got a good enough squad for a couple of years the current players look not bad as well although templeton doesnt look as good as he was last year!

Date:   Oct 28, 12 at 4:56am (PST)
quote chrisburns1
I've started up as Rangers and i think i've got a good enough squad for a couple of years the current players look not bad as well although templeton doesnt look as good as he was last year!

I know what have they done to templeton ! Dean Shiels has been a godly attacking mid and left winger when on advanced playmaker (support) I've been playing templeton as a right winger.

How has Brittain done for you? He's been pretty solid at cm for me.

Author:   gazzaman
Date:   Oct 28, 12 at 5:10am (PST)
Decided not to sign anyone and just gone with the squad you start with, have irl at the moment. Few injuries and it should get interesting.

Date:   Oct 28, 12 at 5:40am (PST)
quote c_lynch
quote chrisburns1

I know what have they done to templeton ! Dean Shiels has been a godly attacking mid and left winger when on advanced playmaker (support) I've been playing templeton as a right winger.

How has Brittain done for you? He's been pretty solid at cm for me.
bizzarre! i've not played many games yet i'll give Shiels a try there and i've not played Brittain yet i've been playing, Bell, Piermayr, Perry, Cribari, Wallace, Shiels, Black, Vigurs, Templeton, McCulloch and Little. I tried to sell Alexander but i wasnt getting any offers for him and he's only valued at 40k as well so it would've been pointless so i decided just to keep him! Apart from my first game when i beat Dumbarton in the Challenge Cup 6-0 my games have been a struggle, 1-0 Airdrie and 1-1 Clyde hows everyone playing tacticaly?

Date:   Oct 28, 12 at 5:49am (PST)
Piermayr has been really good for me as we'll at rb, covers lb as well which is nice.

So far I've been trying a 4231 focussing on progressive and shorter passing. Black, mcculloch, Britain and Hutton fighting for the deeper midfield roles, Shiels at AMC templeton at AML and McKay or little at AMR .

Date:   Oct 28, 12 at 5:56am (PST)
quote c_lynch
Piermayr has been really good for me as we'll at rb, covers lb as well which is nice.

So far I've been trying a 4231 focussing on progressive and shorter passing. Black, mcculloch, Britain and Hutton fighting for the deeper midfield roles, Shiels at AMC templeton at AML and McKay or little at AMR .
I decided to try something new for my game against Queens Park so went with this;

Worked out quite well so i'll maybe stick with that for a couple of games and see how it goes!

Edit:

Another 7-0 win against Forres Mechanics, brought Richard Brittain on in the 60th minute and he scored a free kick from 25yards then scored a penalty! Only thing is he probably still wont get in the team because Vigurs has 4 goals and 4 assists in 5 matches and Black scored a 30yard half volley in that match! The new formation seems to be working though.

Author:   Ryan82
Date:   Oct 28, 12 at 6:22am (PST)
I have been using 4-2-4 to amazing success

mcculloch mackie

templeton shiels

black mcginn/gomez

wallace cribari faure aggriego (sp)

alexander

templeton and shiels 15+ goal each
mcculloch and mackie 35+ goals each
black 12goals
mcginn 8 goald
gomez 6 goals

*templeton and shiels as aml + amr wingers att

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.