Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Activision's Fool-Proof Fix for Lag Compensation! - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/57614/t1801780-activisions-fool-proof-fix-for-lag-compensation/

Author:   Horse
Date:   Dec 05, 12 at 10:16pm (PST)
Subject:   Activision's Fool-Proof Fix for Lag Compensation!
-------------------------------------------
Via Gamegrep and Examiner.com - http://www.gamegrep.com/news/61132-black_ops_2_lag_compensation_fix_updated_guide_revealed_for_ps3_and_xbox_360/

Activision today revealed an updated guide in regards to the lag compensation fix for the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 versions of the recently-released multiplatform title, “Call of Duty: Black Ops 2.” The publisher first suggests players to use a wired Ethernet connection instead of Wi-Fi to play the online portion of the video game. If that did not solve the lag issues, they also provided a few more technical steps that will possibly help alleviate the problems.
So, once again, instead of realising that their lag compensation system simply doesn't *bleep*ing work, they have shifted the blame on us, the players. This is apparently a guide on how to 'fix' lag compensation.

For PS3:
1. Disable any firewall or security features on your router.

2. Set port forwarding on your router to the IP address of your PlayStation 3. This game uses ports 36081, 3074, 3075, 3478 UDP (User Datagram Protocol) and ports 80, 81,443, 3074, 5223 TCP (Transmission Control Protocol.)

3. Disconnect your router and try the game. If it works regularly at this point something about your router may not be completely compatible with the specific needs of this game. Check with your router manufacturer and Sony’s PlayStation 3 Connection Issues page for additional steps that may need to be done to resolve the issue you are having.

4. Place your PlayStation 3 into the DMZ of your router.

If you are having issues connecting while multiple PlayStation 3 consoles are connected on the same network, try forwarding the ports 36081, 3074, 3075, 3478 UDP 80, 81,443, 3074, 5223 TCP for one PlayStation 3 and setting the other as DMZ. There is a chance that this may not resolve your issue, if it doesn’t then you may want to consider getting an additional public IP address by contacting your Internet Service Provider and assigning it to one of the consoles.

NOTE: If setting port forwarding or DMZ helps your connection issue, you may want to assign your PlayStation 3 a static IP address within your home network. This can help to ensure that the configurations you made do not need to be done again. You can visit PortForward's Static IP Guide for a detailed guide on how to do this.

NOTE: Many broadband internet modems are coming with routing capabilities built in. Please contact your internet service provider to determine if your internet modem has an integrated router. If it does, they should be able to assist you with the steps above for setting up your router.

Once you have verified that your network setup is not the cause of the issue, try connecting to a different server. Some servers may have other players connected to them that you do not have an optimal connection with. In most games this is accomplished by backing out to the main menu and then selecting multiplayer again. From there you can try connecting to another online game.

Moderate and Strict NAT types may have issues connecting to online matches. You may get the error "Notice - The game session is no longer available." If you do then enabling UPnP, forwarding ports 36081, 3074, 3075, 3478 UDP 80, 81,443, 3074, 5223 TCP, or placing your PlayStation 3 in your router's DMZ may resolve this issue. Please consult your router documentation for instructions on how to do this
For Xbox:
When playing the game online, the minimum speed of your network should be 128kbps. The ideal network speed for playing the game online is 768kbps. If you are having a problems with lag check the following:

Network Troubleshooting:

2. Set port forwarding on your router to the IP address of your Xbox 360. This game uses port 3074 (UDP/TCP). Additionally Xbox LIVE requires ports 80, 53 TCP and 88, 53 UDP.

3. Place your Xbox 360 into the DMZ of your router.

4. Disconnect your router and try the game. If it works regularly at this point something about your router may not be completely compatible with the specific needs of this game. Check with your router manufacturer and Microsoft's Xbox Live Connection Issues page for additional steps that may need to be done to resolve the issue you are having. You can also verify that you have an Xbox Live compatible router.

If you are having issues connecting while multiple Xbox 360 consoles are connected on the same network, try forwarding port 3074 (UDP/TCP) for one Xbox 360 and setting the other as DMZ. There is a chance that this may not resolve you issue, if it doesn’t then you may want to consider getting an additional public IP address by contacting your Internet Service Provider and assigning it to one of these two consoles.

NOTE: If setting port forwarding or DMZ helps your connection issue, you may want to assign your Xbox 360 a static IP address within your home network. This can help to ensure that the configurations you made do not need to be done again. You can visit PortForward's Static IP Guide for a detailed guide on how to do this.

NOTE: Many broadband internet modems are coming with routing capabilities built in. Please contact your internet service provider to determine if your internet modem has an integrated router. If it does, they should be able to assist you with the steps above for setting up your router.

Once you have verified that your network setup is not the cause of the issue, try the following:

Try connecting to a different server. Some servers may have other players connected to them that you do not have an optimal connection with. In most games this is accomplished by backing out to the main menu and then selecting multiplayer again. From there you can try connecting to another online game.

Run the Xbox Network Self Test to see how strong your NAT is currently set to. Once the test is completed you will be notified if there is an issue with your connection. If you select "More Info" you will be given information about your NAT type and some steps to resolve any issues with your connection.

Moderate and Strict NAT types may have issues connecting to online matches. You may get the error "Notice - The game session is no longer available." If you do then enabling UPnP, forwarding port 3074, or placing your Xbox in your router's DMZ may resolve this issue. Please consult your router documentation for instructions on how to do this.
I direct your attention to the very first point they have suggested:
GOOD IDEA YOU *bleep*ING TWITS! LET'S REMOVE ANY AND ALL SECURITY FROM OUR ROUTER! Once our router has been given a dose of radiation to get rid of all security, we have to forward ports! If that doesn't work...uhh, a demilitarized zone! That'll work! No? Well shit...CONNECT TO ANOTHER SERVER TROLOLOLOL! This is absolutely ridiculous, and I wonder how many people will actually do this, haha.

Author:   Range 2h bro
Date:   Dec 05, 12 at 10:36pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Activision's Fool-Proof Fix for Lag Compensation!
Just goes to show companies will never admit they're on shortcomings, and would rather as you say, shift the blame and in this instance onto us. Even IF the above works, should players really have to go through so much crap to get a game to play online without lag? *bleep* no. A game should be ready to play without issues from their end out of the box. I can't think of a single online game to this date, were I've heard of developers coming out with crap like this.

And disabling the fire wall.

Activision want to hack us.#conspiracy

Author:   Whelan
Date:   Dec 06, 12 at 1:29am (PST)
None of that port fowarding shit will make a difference. I'd probably already have an Open NAT type which is the only thing that bollocks will change.

And lol, disable firewall.

Oh, just realised that the guide is pretty just on 'How to Open your NAT type'

Author:   HU1CH13
Date:   Dec 06, 12 at 3:05am (PST)
A) NAT Type doesn't affect anything to do with ping, lag or your connection etc, all it means is how well you 'work' with other devices etc.

B) I put my PS3 in a DMZ weeks ago and it made jack shit difference.

When will you learn Activision you mongs.

Author:   Raspustean
Date:   Dec 06, 12 at 3:54am (PST)
I was waiting for it to say at the end that if that didn't work then you had to buy a new router :/

Author:   Range 2h bro
Date:   Dec 06, 12 at 5:02am (PST)
quote Raspustean
I was waiting for it to say at the end that if that didn't work then you had to buy a new router :/
They kinda do, just not so forward about it.

If it works regularly at this point something about your router may not be completely compatible with the specific needs of this game

Date:   Dec 06, 12 at 5:14am (PST)
quote Range 2h bro
quote Raspustean
They kinda do, just not so forward about it.

If it works regularly at this point something about your router may not be completely compatible with the specific needs of this game
Missed that

But my eyes did glaze over nearing the end

Author:   Horse
Date:   Dec 06, 12 at 7:35am (PST)
So guys, turned off your router security and firewall yet?

Date:   Dec 06, 12 at 7:38am (PST)
quote Horse
So guys, turned off your router security and firewall yet?
Just to be sure I also posted my bank details and passwords

Author:   Pauliepoos
Date:   Dec 06, 12 at 4:34pm (PST)
Funny how my PS3 is directly connected to the modem with an ethernet cable, with NAT 1 and a 50mb connection, yet I still suffer from appalling lag compensation. I wonder if they can explain that......

Author:   Phil Anselmo
Date:   Dec 06, 12 at 5:28pm (PST)
quote Pauliepoos
Funny how my PS3 is directly connected to the modem with an ethernet cable, with NAT 1 and a 50mb connection, yet I still suffer from appalling lag compensation. I wonder if they can explain that......
Same with my X360. I've already done all this, some shit different day.

Author:   JoQc
Date:   Dec 23, 12 at 8:50am (PST)
I'm on optic fiber, 50 dl, 50 up, and a lot of lag compensation. The only way I found to fix it was to put my PS3 on wifi. It slowing down my connection so now I can play without any problem.

Author:   Solx
Date:   Dec 23, 12 at 12:37pm (PST)
Solution:

1. Kill off everyone with a Welfare connection.
OR
2. We (The Gamers) roll up into Activision and start punching people in the face until this is problem is fixed.

Problem Solved.

Author:   BlackLabel
Date:   Dec 23, 12 at 12:49pm (PST)
Do you know how I fixed my lag issue? I stopped playing the game and played better games. I bought Far Cry 3 and other games I would have missed had I continued to play Black Ops 2, it's a simple fix as well.

Author:   Miss Fortune
Date:   Dec 23, 12 at 1:00pm (PST)
It seems like they're using the same net code from prior games, then later tweak it with patches and hot fixes as the game progress's and people adapt to it.

Activision shouldn't have said anything in the matter, but going back to MW3 and Black Ops I hardly get any terrible connections unless the host is far, far away from me. Really just reaffirms that eventually Treyarch will fix the issues, just Activision wanted something to halt the masses from sending them messages on their boards, emails, and other outlets saying "fix lag plz".

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.