Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Where to next? Where will Black Ops II leave the next installment from Infinity Ward? The end of Modern Warfare? - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/57614/t1733396-to-next-black-ops-ii-leave-next-installment-from-infinity-ward-end-of-modern-warfare/

Author:   Horse
Date:   May 10, 12 at 3:08am (PST)
Subject:   Where to next? Where will Black Ops II leave the next installment from Infinity Ward? The end of Modern Warfare?
-------------------------------------------
Ok, so a thread about the game's setting.

As we all know, the news that nobody expected was that Black Ops II will be set in the near future, 2025 or whatever, as well as having elements of the single-player mode set in the 1980's.

Now, having a look at the settings of each of the recent Call of Duty games, we can see that we have Modern Warfare, set in a contemporary environment (2011). Modern Warfare 2 is set five years after this (2016), while Modern Warfare 3 is set just after MW2 in a 'World War III' scenario.

Looking back, We have World at War set during World War II, while Black Ops is set post-WWII.

Looking at Black Ops II's setting in relation to the recent Modern Warfare games, it must be asked: where next for the Call of Duty franchise? It is quite obvious now that the CoD developers will churn a game out every year, because they know that people will buy it no matter what. This game could have Advanced Lag Compensation and it would still break records.

However, the setting for Black Ops II leaves no room for Infinity Ward's next installment of the franchise in 2013. Infinity Ward's series may be known as 'Modern Warfare', but where can they go after Black Ops II? The setting for Black Ops II would have been the ideal setting for the next Modern Warfare game. It would be unwise for them to make a game set around the same time as BO2 as people would just call it a rehash (of BO2, we all know CoD games in general are more or less the same), regardless of whether the story is a direct sequel to MW3 or not. Looking at Locrian's thread regarding the futuristic setting of BO2 possibly leading to legal action, you can assume that the sure-fire cash cow series, Modern Warfare, has been backed into a corner with nowhere to go.

This begs several questions though: are the developers running out of ideas for settings? Did the developers have no choice BUT to choose a near-future setting? Was this done to intentionally screw over the Modern Warfare franchise? Does this mean that we will be seeing an entirely new angle from Infinity Ward next year, with the Modern Warfare series being done and dusted? Perhaps a collaboration from the two developers?

So, what we can think about is the direction for future Call of Duty games. Where can they go that we haven't been before? If they return to a setting, how can they make it better without adding new killstreaks and smaller maps? What can we expect from Infinity Ward next year?

Is this the end of the Modern Warfare series?

Interesting musing ladies, interesting musing.

Author:   Locrian
Date:   May 10, 12 at 3:25am (PST)
Subject:   re: Where to next? Where will Black Ops II leave the next installment from Infinity Ward? The end of Modern Warfare?
They still have the Korean war to go plus black ops was in the Vietnam era but wasn't solely about the war. They might be able to do a game about that? I'm sure they will come up with something new and exciting for us to play!
(that was hard to type with a straight face) but in all seriousness I don't want to see the franchise end, maybe a new developer could bring something new to the table?

I hope they don't scrap Black Ops 2. I'll be so dissapointed and not to mention how embracing for activision and treyarch it would be plus we might not have a cod game this year. That wouldn't be good for the franchise.

Author:   Yogurt
Date:   May 10, 12 at 5:47am (PST)
Subject:   re: Where to next? Where will Black Ops II leave the next installment from Infinity Ward? The end of Modern Warfare?
I wish they did a WW1 game or something, maybe a prequel to WaW. Oh well, and I'm sure it's not the end, or they'll just call it something else with it being the exact game, if that's possible.

Date:   May 10, 12 at 6:05am (PST)
quote Yogurt
, or they'll just call it something else with it being the exact game, if that's possible.
Its called mw3

Date:   May 10, 12 at 6:09am (PST)
quote Locrian
quote Yogurt
, or they'll just call it something else with it being the exact game, if that's possible.
Its called mw3
Their next CoD game... If they make one.

Date:   May 10, 12 at 6:11am (PST)
I wouldn't mind if they went back to ww1 or 2 with a new developer or engine or both!

Author:   BlackLabel
Date:   May 10, 12 at 6:22am (PST)
Infinity Ward have already said Modern Warfare 3 is the end of that trilogy and they are looking for other things to do. They have even suggested that they may look into origin stories for Soap and Ghost as they have seen some gaming communities asking for that.. They aren't sure what they will do next, but chances are it won't be Modern Warfare related.

As for "screwing" Infinity Ward, they haven't. Treyarch made a decision to set it in the future and this was green-lit by Activision. I really don't think Treyarch did it to screw over Infinity Ward, why would they? Treyarch owe a lot of their success to things Infinity Ward did with the series before them, there is no rivalry between them. From my understanding Infinity Ward always had exclusive rights to the modern setting within the franchise, not the past or future so Treyarch were always open to do this game.

The future of Call of Duty could go many ways. Personally I see Black Ops II as merely a role reversal given the game is very much being seen as a Modern Warfare moment. Infinity Ward will probably focus on prequels.. Like I mentioned earlier it has already been suggested by Infinity Ward that they may focus on the origins of key characters, though they are more than open to go back to World War 2 or even create Future Warfare that is set in the year 2125 or something. Call of Duty is a series that has a good 10 years+ of potential settings if they play it right..

Author:   Miss Fortune
Date:   May 10, 12 at 6:41am (PST)
I personally would like to see a more graphically updated versions of COD 2, honestly. WWII games, at their time, were fun but lacked the interactive multiplayer that the series is known for today.

Honestly, what I could see is (judging from the community and various twitter accounts I scour) I see A LOT of people asking for a CoD4 remake. While mundane and kind of a stupid idea, it's entirely possible. We could also see a Call of Duty that takes place prior to CoD4 with Price and MacMillan which in all honesty, I'd like.

At this point, I see;

(1. Another WWII shooter.
(2. MW4 [remember, Black Ops and Modern Warfare are separate timelines. They have nothing to do with each other]
(3. Modern Warfare Flashbacks prior to CoD4
(4. CoD4 Remake
(5. CoD1 or CoD2 remake.

These are just my hypothesis, really. I really want them to make another WWII shooter or a CoD1 or CoD2 remake.

Date:   May 10, 12 at 7:02am (PST)
I would like another WWII Call of Duty game.

Author:   Horse
Date:   May 10, 12 at 8:01am (PST)
So I've updated the OP with the thought I wasn't able to think of when I was more awake than I am now.

Do you guys think this is the end of the Modern Warfare series?

Author:   Miss Fortune
Date:   May 10, 12 at 8:13am (PST)
quote Horse
So I've updated the OP with the thought I wasn't able to think of when I was more awake than I am now.

I'm not sure, honestly. It easily could be but at the same time could also see a prequel or a MW4 (even tho the story is finished).

At this point in time, I can't determined what will happen but hopefully the next game by Infinity Ward can be a huge success for everyone.

Author:   BlackLabel
Date:   May 10, 12 at 8:16am (PST)
quote Horse

Yes.. Though not because of Black Ops II but because Modern Warfare was always planned as a trilogy and that came to an end last November.

Author:   HU1CH13
Date:   May 10, 12 at 10:31am (PST)
I think the ending of MW3 made it obvious that the series was done, or atleast for that storyline and set of characters.

If there is to be another MW based game from IW, then chances are I'll see it being a prequel to do with Ghost or between Price MacMillan.

Author:   Tommy Vercetti
Date:   May 10, 12 at 11:26am (PST)
Hopefully they go with MacMillan. With everything leading up to the Prypiat.

Author:   HU1CH13
Date:   May 10, 12 at 11:46am (PST)
Aye, would be nice, maybe get to see how Price rised up through the ranks in the Regiment untill he got where he was 'now' in CoD4.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.