Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: First Impressions - page 11

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/57516/t1761504-first-impressions/11.htm

Author:   kishore
Date:   Sep 27, 12 at 10:10pm (PST)
Subject:   re: First Impressions
-------------------------------------------
quote aussie_tim
quote Maxy-b-2012
We can safely say Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 is "THE" beautiful game!
It actually felt like a live Champions League broadcast because now the gameplay is just as convinving as the presentation. The audio has improved aswell i don't care what anyone says, Now when you play your way out of a sticky situaiton with clever footwork and one touch play the crowd give you a brief round of applause just like in real life. Jim Beglin's analysis after a missed opportunity have definetly gotten more realistic too. I'm still kinda speechless at all of it, the little things like the replays, Players reactions after booked or missing shots, Teams coming together to celebrate goals, Substitution animation as one player replaces another etc. all blow Fifa out of the water! Just goes to show you how far KONAMI have come in the last few years really
I agree with everything you said there mate. Especially getting out of sticky situations like you mentioned. The crowd react so well to what's happening on the pitch, quiet and loud. Not like FIFA where it's the same background noise all the time. I've been waiting so long for a football game where crowd, commentary and gameplay link together. Last night i was making good manual off the ball runs with Danny Welbeck into space, and the commentary was superb, telling that he had created space. I like the way your players call for the ball with raised hands, and also when you try to make a tackle or apply pressure from behind, your player will put his hands up in the old i'm not fouling action. The wide camera angle is just perfect. The stands are nice and close and compact to the pitch which gives the game atmosphere and extra life.

To the guy who is upset there is no league in tournaments, you really have got to suck this up and either put effort into ML (which at the minimum isn't much), or draw your 19 other EPL teams out of a hat and rip through friendlies. It's your loss if you miss out on this beautiful gameplay
Exactly what I feel about the game.. Excellent review mate.. PES got every thing right what mattered on the pitch, I think the footy games are supposed to do that basic thing first., then the shiny graphics and various modes.. PES is for a man and FIFA for a kid. As simple as that..

Author:   aussie_tim
Date:   Sep 27, 12 at 10:55pm (PST)
quote shieldz
best pes ever, i knew they would get it right one day.

little niggle tho...anyone having problems with the keeper coming out for the ball, even though theres no need
mate i suggest trying to take control of your keeper. By memory i think it's L1 + click R3??? on a few counters where the opposition has opened me up with a killer pass, my keeper has come out (not a problem, just variation on what he does in those 1v1 moments). I made a manual in game save last night when i played, cut off the angle and stayed large with De Gea, felt very rewarding.

Author:   Parmar1993
Date:   Sep 28, 12 at 12:47am (PST)
the thing is about PES this year is that the more you play it, the more you love it.

usually with any football you love it at first and then it gets stale and tedious after a while. I'm not just talking about FIFA, but some versions of PES as well. this game is a refreshing change from that mould that we have become used to

Author:   Tomski
Date:   Sep 28, 12 at 4:37am (PST)
Well I've played it quite a bit and I'm able to create a lot more scoring opportunities now. My defending in general has also improved.

I seem to get absolutely murdered by through balls though. The CPU always seems to find a gap in my back four to exploit. Any tips on how to deal with these?

Author:   shieldz
Date:   Sep 28, 12 at 6:07am (PST)
quote aussie_tim
quote shieldz
best pes ever, i knew they would get it right one day.

little niggle tho...anyone having problems with the keeper coming out for the ball, even though theres no need
mate i suggest trying to take control of your keeper. By memory i think it's L1 + click R3??? on a few counters where the opposition has opened me up with a killer pass, my keeper has come out (not a problem, just variation on what he does in those 1v1 moments). I made a manual in game save last night when i played, cut off the angle and stayed large with De Gea, felt very rewarding.

thanks for that mate, ill give a go

Author:   dking
Date:   Sep 28, 12 at 6:48am (PST)
I just heard that they've taken leagues out of the game. Somebody tell me this isn't true, please.

How can you have a football game without league options? if this is true, Konami have proved beyond all doubt that they're absolute clowns. I cannot, for the life of me, fathom why on earth they would do this. It's beyond stupid and they will lose a HUGE part of their fanbase which they've been doing for years anyway. Who the hell comes up with this idiocy.

Author:   Chelskiman
Date:   Sep 28, 12 at 6:54am (PST)
Sadly it's true.

Date:   Sep 28, 12 at 6:56am (PST)
Absolutely gobsmacked. I'd say this is the end for Pro Evo, for me at least, and most people I know.

Date:   Sep 28, 12 at 6:58am (PST)
quote dking
Absolutely gobsmacked. I'd say this is the end for Pro Evo, for me at least, and most people I know.
It's a shame because the game really is immense. They've nailed it this year and then, in true Konami style, they go and remove a very important mode. I've been playing BAL anyway, but the league modes were great for me and my mate who would choose a team each for a bit of fun.

Author:   JonesLFC
Date:   Sep 28, 12 at 7:05am (PST)
Stupid how they took out leagues. But i suppose it's not that bad, you can just play master league with real teams and little transfer activity if that's what you want. I know you have other matches too, but still.

Been playing a good few games today and i've quite enjoyed. At this moment in time i'm actually leaning more towards playing vs CPU, not sure why. I think it's because when you play vs another human it seems a bit more arcadey and attack vs attack. Whereas you have to play a lot slower vs CPU.

Been trying master league online today too which seems alright. I bought Suso & Zeefuik but got hammered twice though because i came up against Salpingidis, Di Natale, Kaka, Silva But I dont think i'm being matched with similar teams/similar level yet? It says i have 1 match left to play. Better not be anyway, otherwise this is the worst matchmaking system ever lol

Overall i've quite enjoyed so far, few dodgy things here and there though. Sometimes finesse long shots look ridiculous when they just float into the top corner. One on ones can be too easy most of the time if you're not a shit player. And i still hate the way defenders make you stumble and slow down loads when they're running behind you and make contact. It's a bit too hard to shake them off unless you're the quickest player in the game.

I do like chip shots though, lofted through balls, some aspects of dribbling. Definitely miles better than any other next gen pro evo game and a lot more like the good old days. Overall i'm not sure if it's up to fifa's next gen standards yet, especially when you take into consideration those online modes and stuff, but you can definitely see it coming along nicely. There are some things which i prefer to fifa.

Date:   Sep 28, 12 at 7:11am (PST)
Is anybody else having the problem of speeded up replays, and things like the crowd and people around the pitch in a speeded up mode? Even in training, when it's showing you how to do the moves is stuck in some sort of fast forward mode and whn players come out of the tunnel.

Date:   Sep 28, 12 at 7:13am (PST)
quote JonesLFC
Been trying master league online today too which seems alright. I bought Suso & Zeefuik but got hammered twice though because i came up against Salpingidis, Di Natale, Kaka, Silva But I dont think i'm being matched with similar teams/similar level yet? It says i have 1 match left to play. Better not be anyway, otherwise this is the worst matchmaking system ever lol
Pretty sure Highbury Highs said that is going to be fixed in an update. I know Cashis wasn't impressed about coming up against much stronger teams on paper.

Author:   JonesLFC
Date:   Sep 28, 12 at 7:22am (PST)
quote Chelskiman
quote JonesLFC
Pretty sure Highbury Highs said that is going to be fixed in an update. I know Cashis wasn't impressed about coming up against much stronger teams on paper.
I thought i was just playing a few games for them to determine my level before matching me with similar players? Says 1 game left. But it's the same after that?

Date:   Sep 28, 12 at 7:24am (PST)
quote JonesLFC
quote Chelskiman
quote JonesLFC
I thought i was just playing a few games for them to determine my level before matching me with similar players? Says 1 game left. But it's the same after that?
Actually not too sure as I haven't played MLO. Cashis will know though.

Author:   Cashis
Date:   Sep 28, 12 at 7:38am (PST)
I'm in Shitfield (Sheffield) at the minute so don't have my Egg Box to hand but from what I remember..

You play 5 initial games and this determines your skill level. I think I won 3 lost 2 or something like that. The team you have also has an overall score. Your skill level & your team's overall score are then used in the matchmaking system to match you up against similarly-levelled players. The only issue is when the computer can't find you any opponents at your level to play and it starts searching using a wider spectrum meaning you can end up playing against world class players whilst you have a shit squad.

What I recommend is start searching for a game and when you see the numbers getting too far apart, cancel the search and start again. This way it should limit you to playing teams around your level.

I think Highbury Highs said they were going to address in the Data Pack 2 update that comes out mid-October so consider this a workaround until then.

JonesLFC

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.