Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: The Importance of Replay Value - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/57504/t1763577-importance-of-replay-value/

Author:   Virtue
Date:   Sep 24, 12 at 1:16pm (PST)
Subject:   The Importance of Replay Value
-------------------------------------------
Now that a little over a month has passed since NSMB:2 was released, most of us have completed the game with ease, gathering hundreds of lives and coins in the process. Videos about reaching the coveted 1,000,000 coins mark were posted almost immediately after release. All in all, the game ended very quickly, while still costing the normal amount in major retail stores.

Did it bother any of you that this game was so short, almost to the point of where you feel like you wasted your money? How significant is replay value to the NSMB series in your opinion? Personally, a part of me feels like so much more could have been integrated to make the game last at least a few more hours. I also thought the supposed DLC would be close to being released by now. I don't know how long they're expecting all of us to wait. =/

Author:   John234MKWii
Date:   Sep 24, 12 at 2:54pm (PST)
Subject:   re: The Importance of Replay Value
Yeah, it was incredibly short compared to the other NSMB games. And, Virtue, about the DLC, I hope the wait is worthwhile because when I first got the game, I wasn't getting what I was expecting, but the gameplay in all three are excellent, makes you want to wish that this game was longer. But a real positive was Coin Rush, it really helped me to reach my goal without entering levels over and over again.

Author:   FoneBoneFan15
Date:   Sep 24, 12 at 6:53pm (PST)
Another main importance of replay value is getting 9,999,999 coins in my opinion.

Date:   Sep 24, 12 at 7:17pm (PST)
quote FoneBoneFan15
Another main importance of replay value is getting 9,999,999 coins in my opinion.
Though I'd still think it'd be pretty crazy to reach that amount of coins.

Author:   Gotenks
Date:   Sep 24, 12 at 8:38pm (PST)
I wouldn't say it was a waste of money as I have already gotten 17 hours out of this game(2 hours more than 3D Land) but the game was incredibly short. The levels were easy to go through and the only reason I ever died was if I was trying to go back to find a Star Coin or I let myself do something stupid.

The game only cost $40 which is a fair price considering console games are $50-$70 which I wouldn't of paid for this game. I like to 100% most of my games so I'm still playing to collect all of the Star Coins and find all of the secret exits. And I only missed Star Coins in World 5 and 6, plus the Flower World so I don't have a lot to go back to. I still have Star World to complete but I can only see this taking a few hours to do. I'm not that interested in trying to get 9,999,999 coins, let alone 1,000,000 coins.

Plus I am still waiting for this DLC that still hasn't arrived. Which is very disappointing.

Date:   Sep 24, 12 at 8:45pm (PST)
quote FoneBoneFan15
Don't have nearly the attention span/time to get that many coins. I'm struggling to get a relatively low amount.

Gotenks, that surprises me actually. I feel like I got way more playing time out of the 3D Land due to the special worlds. It just felt like a more complete game to me. At this rate, I don't know if we're ever going to see DLC for this game.

Date:   Sep 24, 12 at 9:03pm (PST)
Well I'm not saying 3D Land was a bad game. Quite the opposite because I find 3D Land to be superior to this game. I just cleared the game pretty quickly and got everything done, minus a few Star Coins in the Special World I need to go back for.

Date:   Sep 24, 12 at 9:13pm (PST)
I haven't got 3D Land yet, but both games' difficulty the way you put it is similar, excepting 3D Land's Special World's which apparently you say is really hard.

Author:   Kokoro
Date:   Sep 25, 12 at 12:38am (PST)
I would say it has a lot of replay value with the levels to unlock and all the coins to collect. The game could have been longer, but the replay value does kind of make up for it. So no, I can't say I feel like I wasted my money.

Date:   Sep 25, 12 at 1:11am (PST)
I don't think getting the game was a waste of money because I do know all games have positives and negatives(in which case the game was rather easy and really short), but the real positive for me was Coin Rush which really improved the game.

Date:   Sep 25, 12 at 7:41pm (PST)
It's a strange thought, really. I don't feel like I wasted my money cause it's a pretty addicting game that's very easy to pick up. Maybe I was just expecting too much after playing 3D Land? I still consider it the best original game for the 3DS.

Date:   Sep 25, 12 at 7:53pm (PST)
Yeah, after finishing a game like this, you always wonder what comes next. The game could've been made better with uncopied music from the previous NSMB games and online gameplay but it's a good game nevertheless.

EDIT: Is uncopied even a word?!?

EDIT2: Let me check the Oxford Dictoinary...

EDIT3: Oh, so it isn't.....New discovery,eh?

EDIT4: Uncopied isn't a word?!?

Date:   Sep 26, 12 at 5:06am (PST)
quote Virtue
It's a strange thought, really. I don't feel like I wasted my money cause it's a pretty addicting game that's very easy to pick up. Maybe I was just expecting too much after playing 3D Land? I still consider it the best original game for the 3DS.
Well you probably don't feel like you wasted your money because 3DS games are cheap. NSMB2 isn't meant to be played for hours in a row I think. That's why all of the levels are short so it works perfectly. I mean, if I want to play for 15 minutes, I can get 2-3 levels in which is perfectly fine with me. It does its job really well.

But comparing it to 3D Land, 3D Land is the better 3D platformer. It really showed off what the 3DS could do with the 3D. I thought the game looked so much better in 3D and the levels were really fun. Especially the Special World.

Date:   Sep 26, 12 at 4:16pm (PST)
I've been saying this like, a million times, but NSMB2 just looked better as a non-3D platformer. I didn't even try to put 3D on in this game as in 3D Land where 3D is perfect.

Author:   Arietta
Date:   Sep 26, 12 at 4:26pm (PST)
I honestly don't care about replay value in any game. Chances I will play a game again after beating it are not very likely. Unless it's a classic a-la-Zelda and I find myself playing it again in 10 years from now.

But the game has to be really especial and good for that to happen.

If anything, I'm glad I didn't get this game because it's just another platformer.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.