Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Afterthoughts & Lasting Opinions - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/57504/t1754930-afterthoughts-lasting-opinions/

Author:   Virtue
Date:   Aug 20, 12 at 8:25pm (PST)
Subject:   Afterthoughts & Lasting Opinions
-------------------------------------------
With the game being released only a few days ago, it gives ample time to think about the what could have been, and what's actually there in New Super Mario Bros. 2. Whether you praise every aspect of the game or criticize even the smallest of details, the game is bound to be a highlight not just for the 3DS, but the general category of handhelds.

So far, what's your opinion of the game? Did it live up to the hype, and what should have been added to meet these expectations? I'm only on World 1, and I'd say I'm pretty content with how it turned out. Collecting all of these coins is something I have to get used to however.

Author:   Kokoro
Date:   Aug 21, 12 at 1:07am (PST)
Subject:   re: Afterthoughts & Lasting Opinions
I'm quite enjoying the game. The coin concept is as good as I thought it would be and I'm looking forward to the rest of the game. Overall, I'm glad I bought it.

Author:   John234MKWii
Date:   Aug 22, 12 at 10:51pm (PST)
One very lucky person here. Just finished 2-Ghost House( and that ghost was SCARY!)

Date:   Aug 23, 12 at 12:12am (PST)
I have beaten the main game now. The last Bowser fight was interesting, but could have been better. Currently, I'm collecting more of the Star Coins so that I can play some of the levels in the Special World.

Date:   Aug 23, 12 at 12:48am (PST)
Whoa, that was pretty fast. Up to World 3 already.

Author:   Fluidity
Date:   Aug 23, 12 at 3:00pm (PST)
Imo the game is extremely easy. I've only died a handful of times and the star coins are easy to find/collect with the exception of a few. I've only had it for roughly two days, clocking about a total of five hours and I'm on the second to last world with 100+ extra lives. Regardless, I'm enjoying it tremendously, probably because I haven't played a Mario game in aaaaages. I also like the focus on coins; some of the ideas like the fire ball pipe and gold fire flower are awesome. I just wish it was a little more challenging.

Author:   canderson
Date:   Aug 23, 12 at 7:07pm (PST)
For those that have the game, is it 3DS Game of the Year worthy?

Author:   Fluidity
Date:   Aug 23, 12 at 7:38pm (PST)
canderson

No, absolutely not. It's a good game, but if you wanna talk about that kind of good, you should look more into Kingdom Hearts or Kid Icarus. They bring something new to the table; this is just another Mario game.

Date:   Aug 23, 12 at 7:45pm (PST)
quote canderson
Not in the least! It's entertaining, but for too easy and similar to be considered as a game of the year. Paper Mario will probably take that title eventually. But for now, Super Mario 3D Land is miles in front for 3DS game of the year. It's a hybrid of the positives of side scrolling games + 3D capabilities that's utilized perfectly. (Keep in mind I'm not counting remakes here.)

Date:   Aug 23, 12 at 10:35pm (PST)
It's fun to play( I'm up to World 5-Tower right now) but you've got to agree with Virtue, it's not worthy for game of the year on the 3DS. Maybe in terms of coin concepts, it might win the award for that.

Date:   Aug 23, 12 at 11:36pm (PST)
quote Virtue
quote canderson
Not in the least! It's entertaining, but for too easy and similar to be considered as a game of the year. Paper Mario will probably take that title eventually. But for now, Super Mario 3D Land is miles in front for 3DS game of the year. It's a hybrid of the positives of side scrolling games + 3D capabilities that's utilized perfectly. (Keep in mind I'm not counting remakes here.)
But Super Mario 3D Land came out in 2011. Overall, I do actually prefer this over Super Mario 3D Land.

Date:   Aug 24, 12 at 2:04am (PST)
I don't even have 3D Land, but this game is pretty equal to 3D Land in terms of my knowledge about the game. 3D Land excelled in 3D graphics, NSMB2 excelled with the coin concept.

Author:   Gotenks
Date:   Aug 24, 12 at 4:22am (PST)
Fail Virtue.

3D Land is still miles better than NSMB2 and 3D Land was possibly my game of the year for 2011. This game will not be my game of the year for 2012 and might not be top 10. Now don't get me wrong, NSMB2 is a very fun game and it is good. It does a great job as a handheld Mario game with the short but fun levels and an addicting mode in Coin Rush but I've played a lot of new games this year that are better. If we're going by 3DS Game of the Year, that goes to Kid Icarus: Uprising though Tales of the Abyss 3D or Kingdom Hearts: DDD are closing in. I'd get a better opinion on those two games with I finish them.

Date:   Aug 24, 12 at 4:40am (PST)
Well, I'm sure it'll be close to Mario platforming Game of the Year for 3DS. The fun, the coin concept was nice. What's not to like about this game?

Date:   Aug 24, 12 at 5:44am (PST)
quote Kokoro
quote Virtue
quote canderson
But Super Mario 3D Land came out in 2011. Overall, I do actually prefer this over Super Mario 3D Land.
Ohhhhhhhh! Haha, my fault. Shut up Gotenks

In that case, I currently don't even have a favorite 3DS game of 2012. I'd have to wait until the holiday season is over to make a choice. So far, I cant really say there's been seldom "great" games, but rather a large group of good ones. If that makes any sense.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.