Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Risking Your Life for Your Pets - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/56443/t1715501-risking-your-life-for-your-pets/

Author:   Dynamite
Date:   Feb 13, 12 at 10:36pm (PST)
Subject:   Risking Your Life for Your Pets
-------------------------------------------
So.... it's cold in the UK as of late and, unsurprisingly, many minor rivers and lakes have frozen over here. Perhaps more surprising, though, is going out for a stroll with your dog and happening across a man crawling across a frozen river in his underpants:

quote Sky News - Man In Pants Crawls Across Ice To Save Dog
This is the astonishing moment a man is snapped crawling across an icy river in just his underpants to rescue his dog.

The owner is pictured inching across the River Stour before tumbling into the freezing water just metres away from his pet.

Incredibly, both the owner and the dog managed to clamber out of the river unscathed, if a little cold, and then continued their walk.

Firefighters were quick to condemn the man's actions as "extremely dangerous" and warned others not to follow suit.
More at the source and yes, don't worry, there's a picture of the incident there too.

As crazy as this seems to me, actually it isn't uncommon to read about similar rescue attempts. Unfortunately, however, many end with the would-be rescuer requiring to be rescued themselves or, more tragically, losing their own lives in the process.

So, anyone here who'd attempt to rescue their pets from danger if it meant risking your own life? Dare I ask... would anyone be more inclined to go in after their pets as opposed to trying to help a human stranger?

This is a tough one for me because whilst I think doing what this guy did is pure stupidity from a rational point of view, as I understand the fact that pets such as dogs are much more likely to be able to survive for a longer period in such conditions than a human could, I also kinda understand the emotional attachment people have to their pets and why they would do this on the spur of the moment.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts anyway and any stories you have where perhaps you've done something like this yourselves.

Author:   LOD-squa
Date:   Feb 13, 12 at 11:54pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Risking Your Life for Your Pets
I would be one of those people who would probably risk my life just for my pet. The thing about human psychology is that they get easily attached to their pets. Some more than others. Heck I have seen some people who care more about their pets than they do about their loved ones. It's kind of sad to an extent. They view it as no matter what the pet is always going to be there for them.

I actually had a couple of boxes that were going to fall on my dog(a few years ago) and out of instinct I shoved myself in the way and ended up hurting my back. Yeah; it's not risking my life but it's just instinct kicking trying to keep the pet we care for safe.

Author:   Slacker
Date:   Feb 13, 12 at 11:55pm (PST)
I'm sure the dog would've done the same thing had the situation been reversed. I would risk my life for my dog, but probably not for someone else's dog. It depends on the dog and the situation though. If it was a big dog like a Lab or something, I'd be more inclined to help over a smaller, more annoying breed. Like a pomeranian. *bleep* those dogs, I had a roommate with a Pomeranian named Rascal and he had a mohawk. He yipped at everything, at nothing, at who the *bleep* knows what, all the time. It was almost as annoying as a crying baby, but constantly. Rascal also gave my cat fleas, and I was tired of being pissed off at the little bastard, but right when I was going to tell my roommate that she had to gtfo, she found out she was pregnant and moved in with whatever dude knocked her up. So it all worked out for the best.

I'd risk my life for my cat, but not in any serious way. I wouldn't fight a bear for her or anything, but I'd try to get her out of a river if I could.

Author:   Lone Warrior
Date:   Feb 14, 12 at 12:11pm (PST)
It's all a matter of risk assessment. I wouldn't do anything over the top like that guy (if I'm a bad swimmer during greek summer, I can't imagine risking a half-naked dive into a freezing river), but danger blurs limits and judgement. What I expect I'd do now isn't necessarily what I'd end up doing. And what I'd end up doing is most likely very little.

I'd also note that stories about dogs rescuing their owners / being forever loyal to them even after they die (or whatever behavioral process can be used to rationalise the emotionally charged notion of loyalty) reinforce that kind of mentality Slacker mentioned above. A fancy way to say "d'aw, if my dog is ready to die for me then I'd die for it too!"

Author:   Darknet
Date:   Feb 14, 12 at 7:58pm (PST)
If I were to go back and think if my two dogs were in a fire, I'd sure as hell run in to get them. It really matters about how much you love then and I loved my two dogs very much. They practically part of the family.

Author:   walnuts
Date:   Feb 14, 12 at 8:04pm (PST)
If I couldn't help, I'd certainly get somebody who could, human or animal. I just wouldn't be able to live with myself if I left someone in distress without doing my best to help them, I wasn't brought up that way.

Author:   Enhance
Date:   Feb 14, 12 at 8:07pm (PST)
I would absolutely risk my life to save my dog. I wouldn't go after her before I did a human but if everyone else was safe I would go back into a dangerous situation for the dog.

Whether or not I would be more inclined to save my dog or a stranger I would go with the stranger. I love my dog but I still can't say that her life is worth more than a human. I might hesistate for a second but still go after the stranger.

Author:   Xenctuary
Date:   Feb 14, 12 at 8:41pm (PST)
quote Lone Warrior
I'd also note that stories about dogs rescuing their owners / being forever loyal to them even after they die (or whatever behavioral process can be used to rationalise the emotionally charged notion of loyalty) reinforce that kind of mentality Slacker mentioned above. A fancy way to say "d'aw, if my dog is ready to die for me then I'd die for it too!"
That reminds me of the story of HachikĊ. He'd walk to Shibuya train station every day to meet his owner after work, and continued to do so even after his owner's sudden death. For almost a decade he kept up the tradition, waiting each day for his master to return.

Quite sad really.

Author:   Adrienne
Date:   Feb 14, 12 at 9:56pm (PST)
quote LOD-squa
I would be one of those people who would probably risk my life just for my pet. The thing about human psychology is that they get easily attached to their pets. Some more than others. Heck I have seen some people who care more about their pets than they do about their loved ones. It's kind of sad to an extent. They view it as no matter what the pet is always going to be there for them.
I'm one of those people. Animals are pure, its easy to know their intent. People are corrupt, and its hard to know their motives. I would certainly put myself in danger for my pets. One summer I went running out in a lightning storm to find my cat. As for people, I'm not sure. I guess it would depend on the situation.. I'm not going to try to be a hero for the bank teller with a gun to her head, but i will call the cops.

Author:   Scarchelli
Date:   Feb 14, 12 at 9:59pm (PST)
I definitely see why people would risk their lives for their pets. My mom has two dogs and I know she would risk her life to save one of them. People do get very attached to pets, even if they have a fine social life. I know plenty of people who would risk their lives for their animals and they have plenty of friends and whatnot. I've never felt this way about a pet, personally.

Author:   Traydor
Date:   Feb 14, 12 at 10:12pm (PST)
quote Adrienne
I'm one of those people. Animals are pure, its easy to know their intent. People are corrupt, and its hard to know their motives.
I'm a little confused by how you're using the words 'pure' and 'corrupt' here. Many animals are capabale of lying, and of having selfish motives.

It's possible that you mean animals don't take part in the same social endeavors that complicate human affairs, at least not with humans. Is that it? Or am I totally missing it?

Author:   Adrienne
Date:   Feb 14, 12 at 10:20pm (PST)
quote Traydor
quote Adrienne
I'm one of those people. Animals are pure, its easy to know their intent. People are corrupt, and its hard to know their motives.
I'm a little confused by how you're using the words 'pure' and 'corrupt' here. Many animals are capabale of lying, and of having selfish motives.

It's possible that you mean animals don't take part in the same social endeavors that complicate human affairs, at least not with humans. Is that it? Or am I totally missing it?
I've worked with animals a long time. You can easily read their intent.. if they're going to bite, run off, be loving, etc. They don't learn to lie or do malicious things. Humans aren't as predictable. Maybe I used the wrong words. But yes, animals are selfish so i suppose I'm wrong there.

Author:   Xenctuary
Date:   Feb 15, 12 at 1:52pm (PST)
This is how you rescue a dog from a frozen lake:

Author:   kingy
Date:   Feb 15, 12 at 6:41pm (PST)
This one time after work last year I tried to save this one Jack Russel terrier from being hit by cars on this highway. The stupid thing was chasing vehicles going over 60mph. I didn't exactly risk my life, but I did get out of my truck and try to coax it into getting in my car. Sadly, it just kept running away from me and eventually got hit by a car. That was a lame afternoon.

I would never risk my life for my own animal unless it held a place in my heart and I loved it like a sibling. I've only had one dog like that, but thankfully she died peacefully of old age.

Author:   Keiichi
Date:   Feb 15, 12 at 10:14pm (PST)
I can certainly see myself risking my life to save a pet, or most any animal, within reason. I'm not going into a fire or a freezing river after a wolverine or something else that might take my arm off when I reached it.

However, there is a secondary thought process that needs to be considered: i.e., what are the likely consequences if something goes wrong? If I make a mistake, or if the situation changes for the worse, is it going to become necessary for someone else to risk his or her life to try to save me? In that case, I have to say no, and I'll see my pet in the next world.

Granted, I might not be thinking quite that clearly at the moment I realize the animal's life is endangered, but I would hope I'd give it at least a little bit of reasonable consideration before diving in with both feet.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.