Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Anybody figure out the map maker yet? - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/56283/t1728631-anybody-figure-out-map-maker-yet/

Author:   Raijin1999
Date:   Apr 13, 12 at 9:36am (PST)
Subject:   Anybody figure out the map maker yet?
-------------------------------------------
Seems like you get a very lousy amount of edit points to use so I never bothered with it until I unlock the last few characters and have nothing else to do.

Can you gain more points to use to keep editing a map-in-progress, or are you stuck with just 50 edit points per map? (seems like you barely can edit much of anything)

Author:   ShadowGuard
Date:   Apr 17, 12 at 11:21am (PST)
Subject:   re: Anybody figure out the map maker yet?
Had any luck with map maker yet? I dont have the game, but I am interested in how they do this... Something like this could really energize the Warrior's franchise if they keep expanding on the idea in future iterations.

Date:   Apr 17, 12 at 4:41pm (PST)
It's actually pretty weaksauce. Like you said in the other thread, they had a great concept with 'mapmaking' in general, but flubbed it up with poor excecution.

Essentially it's not a mapmaker at all. The name is entirely confusing.

What it is basically is you taking one of the existing campaign missions and making a few very minor tweaks.

The tweaks: So no, it's not a mapmaker. More like a map remixer.

An actual mapmaker would have done shitloads for replay value. They need to re-examine Little Big Planet and figure out why it's so damned popular.

Date:   Apr 17, 12 at 9:17pm (PST)
I guess they can use this as a stepping stone for future iterations. Because you are right, it doesnt sound very promising and I am not sure why they even bothered using points and giving such a limited amount... It's freaking map maker, give the player the opportunity to actually edit it in multiple ways. I think this is where next-gen systems will come into play, more power and memory will allow us to edit maps hopefully down to the terrain and buildings...

Date:   Apr 18, 12 at 7:52am (PST)
Yeah. it would have been easy to just use the existing maps and let you code how things take place. Since every map in every warriors game always has a timer, that same timer could be used to as a trigger system for battle events you could program in. IE: Battles have a 1hr default timer. At the 10 minutes in you could trigger a scripted conversation and then have x amount of officers appear at x location, and have them travel to x location to attack or defend. Pretty simple in design, but that's like 90% of the warriors games gameplay right there. That too is still something that they 'could' theoretically add to the game as DLC still, but I doubt they would. (I will make it a point to complain about it on the official forums, I do a lot of that lately, rub spying developers the wrong way )

Lemme give an example of how swapping officers and dialogue works with the existing map 'editor'.

Say in x mission Zhou Tai is supposed to say something when a particular trigger causes him to react. When you go to edit that mission you can find his dialogue from a 'script' for that mission and can swap it out with any other spoken mission dialogue any character says in any mission you've already played and cleared. So say you want to replace Zhou Tai with Sima Yi. In the actual mission the officer's name is still going to read "Zhou Tai", but the model and animations will be replaced with Sima Yi animations. If you don't edit the spoken dialogue, when the time comes for Zhou Yi to say something it's going to have Sima's head in the dialogue bubble, Zhou's name, and the text and voice over line from Zhou Tai. If you wanted to more closely emulate Sima Yi you would have to find Zhou's dialogue in the script and replace the dialogue option and with something from Sima Yi's dialogue inventory. Then you would have Sima Yi's head icon AND one of his voice overs to go with it. His name however is always going to read "Zhou Tai". :\

Dialogue changes don't cost any edit points, but again, trying to make them make sense isn't easy. It's easier to make them more nonsensical than anything, and when you create a map and upload it to the site you can advertise it as nonsensical. :\

Date:   Apr 19, 12 at 2:58pm (PST)
has to be memory restrictions or something. That does sound a little sad, but at least they are experimenting with map maker. I have wanted one since DW5.

Date:   May 02, 12 at 8:59pm (PST)
got the game awhile ago, but only checked out map maker yesterday... God it is completely useless, 50 points is NOTHING, I just dont understand why we need points to CHANGE officers. I could see points being used to ADD officers, but simply changing one officer for another... WHY? you are right, this is pretty worthless, however, I am going to be positive and say that this is simply a stepping stone for future games...

Date:   May 02, 12 at 9:06pm (PST)
Yeah, it's pretty bad. However, get this - and i only found this out like 2 days ago - on hard and chaos mode, on 8 star missions or better you can get weapon drops that have unique (and often overpowered) attributes. Some of the uber abilities do things like give elemental mods a 100 percent chance to turn on for every single attack. Others let you create shadow trail clones of yourself so every 1 hit you perform is actually 6 hits. It's insanity. Combine these attributes in a godly fused weapon and you turn into some kind of Raptor Jebus with infinte killing power. I wonder if the mapmaker restrictions were in place to keep people from making extremely easy hard mission setups with lvl99 modded custom characters of Raptor Jebus proportions.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.