Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Neoseeker reviews Resident Evil 6 - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/56257/t1769464-neoseeker-reviews-resident-evil-6/

Author:   RabidChinaGirl
Date:   Oct 01, 12 at 11:06pm (PST)
Subject:   Neoseeker reviews Resident Evil 6
-------------------------------------------
We review Resident Evil 6 and give our verdict. You probably shouldn't pick this up, not even for the co-op.

[[article:3150]]

Author:   Vicarious
Date:   Oct 01, 12 at 11:58pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Neoseeker reviews Resident Evil 6
Rabidchinagirl fantastic review, one of the best I have read. I knew this was coming so I canceled my preorder to get another game. Good thing I did. Will try this eventually, but probably not soon.

Date:   Oct 02, 12 at 1:09am (PST)
Vicarious It was not a pleasure to play. Even with the co-op. I got a bad feeling as soon as I started getting hit by trains in the subways. Sad part is, I actually wanted to like this game, because the devs seemed rather into this idea of co-op and crossover stories. After the demo, though, I knew something had gone terribly wrong.

Author:   Gamesta100
Date:   Oct 02, 12 at 2:53am (PST)
I honestly don't get the hate for this game. This game is imo far superior to RE5.

Is it partly because people just can't leave the past behind and are still sooking that RE is no longer a survival horror series?

Don't get me wrong, I love old RE (I still play RE2-CVX till this day) and would absolutely love an oldschool RE. But I accept that RE is now an action game and other than RE5, a damn fun one.

I will say that I do have one big problem with the game and that is all the QTE's/instant deaths.

Author:   Nashtalia
Date:   Oct 02, 12 at 3:28am (PST)
i will still get this, despite what the reviewers say

Date:   Oct 02, 12 at 5:11am (PST)
I find it funny thing that people hate that it's not scary. Other than jump scares, when HAS RE been scary? RE has never been a scary franchise. Though personally it's very hard to truly scare me. Tbh the only series that truly scare me are Project Zero/Fatal Frame and Silent Hill.

Author:   DedValve
Date:   Oct 02, 12 at 5:28am (PST)
quote Gamesta100
I honestly don't get the hate for this game. This game is imo far superior to RE5.

Is it partly because people just can't leave the past behind and are still sooking that RE is no longer a survival horror series?

Don't get me wrong, I love old RE (I still play RE2-CVX till this day) and would absolutely love an oldschool RE. But I accept that RE is now an action game and other than RE5, a damn fun one.

I will say that I do have one big problem with the game and that is all the QTE's/instant deaths.
Its not hate if almost anyone can universally agree that re6 is a flawed game. Even pro reviewers that praised re4/5 as the best in the series are slamming this game hard. Not because it didn't go back to its roots but it's just a genuine cluster*bleep* of a game that if it wasn't called resident evil, nobody would care of this games existence. Why not read other reviews and see for yourself?

Author:   Soltice
Date:   Oct 02, 12 at 6:49am (PST)
The problem was that Resident Evil 5 thought it could succeed from the success 4 had, Unfortunately it was slowly starting to steer away from the suspense and horror aspects....not to mention Chris Redfield punching a friggin boulder..... As mentioned already, its no longer even called Resident Evil, more like Zombie Run and Gun: get 50 chain kills for MAXIMUM DAMAGE BONUS

Author:   HunterKiller666
Date:   Oct 02, 12 at 6:50am (PST)
Just how long of a campaign are we talking about here? RE5 campaign was about 10 hours if you don't skip any cutscenes, so RE6 must be 40? That seems like a better bang for your buck, but if the gameplay gets stagnant past the first hour then I can see why longer hours would be a bad thing. It is interesting that the agent hunt mode is available on campaign mode too though, I would have expected it to be a separate mercenary mode.

Date:   Oct 02, 12 at 8:37am (PST)
It took me 25h 33m on normal.

Tbh I have to question what's wrong with people who thought RE5 was a great game. *that's a half joke by the way*

Not scary? Well if I didn't like non scary horror games (no I'm not calling RE6 a horror game) then I wouldn't like 99% of horror games Also RE is no longer scary. RE used to be scary? Don't know which RE1-CVX games I played then Well RE3 was pretty scary thanks to Nemesis.

Bad controls? They work damn fine imo.

Too much action? That's what I absolutely love about it.

Camera to close to your character? Doesn't bother me in the slightest. It doesn't hinder my ability to play the game at all.

Date:   Oct 02, 12 at 9:43am (PST)
You know I always fancied myself a troll but then I went on the capcom forums.

...I'm just a poser in comparison

Also it's funny, Resident Evil Revelations has recieven much scores by the same people with one of the biggest complaints being Chris' action orientated segments.

The major problem with RE6 isn't that it's lacks direction, cohesivness and focus (well those are pretty massive things) it's that it's unoriginal and uninspiring. Revelations is a perfect example, Jill's segments tried to go off in a different direction, not horror but not just a drone action fest. This is extremely apparent with Chris' segments which are drone and just "shoot everything you see" that is uninspired and has no direction at all.

RE6 is that same thing, copying everything from big titles like Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc. without adding a slick of originality or style of it's own. The overall product is a japanese game trying it's damnest to be "western" when the original RE's (and RE4) was already pretty damn western in itself. This is how a big japanese company (Capcom) thinks what Western games are like and put no soul or spirit in it, just money and more money. Hell they easily spent hundreds of millions on the advertising alone. If RE is going to be an action game, so be it, but don't shamelessly copy everything you see. Revelations (bar chris' segments) was a perfect example of where to veer the series next, the producer even says that it should be numbered.

Who knows what Capcom is gonna do next but for their survival they need to take risks, even small ones. Or alternitavely they could die out so that other companies can buy out their IP's. I like the latter decision better.

Author:   HunterKiller666
Date:   Oct 02, 12 at 9:50am (PST)
I say *bleep* the horror (if there is even any left) and don't even bother with the story. Just turn RE7 into a giant online mercenary deathmatch. I'd buy it.

quote Ded Valve
You know I always fancied myself a troll but then I went on the capcom forums.

...I'm just a poser in comparison

You are a poser even when comparing to dwg14390

Date:   Oct 02, 12 at 10:57am (PST)
Ded Valve Shave off every-*bleep*ing-one except Leon and Helena. That would've made the game so much more tolerable. I really don't understand why they thought adding some watered down COD wannabe segment would be a good idea. Sure, Leon and Helena's campaign made me roll my eyes/facepalm a few times, but overall, better.

Believe it or not, I didn't mind RE5 from a gamplay perspective. The story was pretty out there, but even that was so much more cohesive. Everything about it was. Wasn't scary, sure, and the controls were less streamlined, but it was easy to understand (if you get what I mean).

I'm actually still holding on to my copy of RE6, and started a new game, since I've got a friend who needs someone to play the game with him.

Date:   Oct 02, 12 at 12:57pm (PST)
I don't know where you find the time to play games you don't need to or play them again (or even just for fun) when you look like your constantly reviewing them rabidchinagirl

I'd personally be exhausted. Also does everything we post in the forum also gets posted in the news article?

I can understand why people enjoy RE5, personally it disgusts me but I know the difference between RE5 and RE6 is that (and a good member from the Capcom unity forums said this) Capcom is trying to please everyone and in the end pleases no one or a much smaller number than before. There is a reason why games have 1 campaign, maybe two. Sure a longer campaign is better but with so many campaigns, add on top of that so many modes, it doesn't matter if 600 or 1000 people worked on this game the quality is going to reflect poorly.

Had it been just Leon and Helena the campaign and modes would have been much more different and cohesive. When I heard 4 hours of cutscenes I knew exactly what this game was going to do and I seemed to be the only one, everyone was hyped of the 4 hours of cutscenes yet those same people later on went to complain that there's a 20 minute cutscene every 5 minutes of gameplay (and unlike MGS apparently the cutscenes aren't cutscenes just very long QTE's).

Why not (and here's a thought) make small budget RE horror games release exclusively through XBL and PSN and Steam as a downloadable title to test the waters and make more cohesive (and ORIGINAL) action games like Revelations rather than try to shove the most popular action mechanics to date all in one? And in Capcom practice you can do stuff like sell cheat codes, costumes, the ending, mini-games and so on and so forth as disc locked content. Seems like a good idea to me, but maybe that's why they won't do it.

Survival/horror and Action/horror split into two rather than 4 shades of typical tps shooter seems like a much better and more profitable idea to me don't you think?

Author:   Aragorn Vzla
Date:   Oct 02, 12 at 1:18pm (PST)
quote Gamesta100
Are the QTE's that annoying? Because the instant death from QTE's aren't new at all. Remember re4? In the beginning you could get killed by a boulder when you are reaching the town and there are numerous examples in re4 and re5.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.