Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Neoseeker feature: Resident Evil 6 demo impressions - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/56257/t1744001-neoseeker-feature-resident-evil-6-demo-impressions/

Author:   RabidChinaGirl
Date:   Jul 05, 12 at 5:25pm (PST)
Subject:   Neoseeker feature: Resident Evil 6 demo impressions
-------------------------------------------
I'm sure you've all heard that the demo is now available to Dragon's Dogma owners on 360. Here's our impressions of it. Check it out, let us know what you think!

(Yes, you do need to have your copy of DD to download the demo. )

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/19756-resident-evil-6-demo-impressions-is-it-survival-horror-or-actionr/

Author:   DedValve
Date:   Jul 05, 12 at 6:33pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Neoseeker feature: Resident Evil 6 demo impressions
Allright I'll throw in my super in-depth review at the totally awesome (totally not sarcastic wink-wink) Resident Evil 6 demo.

Controls

Pretty much copy paste from RE5 with several new additions. The biggest one being that you can now move and shoot. In Leons scenario I was even given the option to switch instantly between 1 pistol or dual wield (they do not aim at different targets like in CVX).

An extremely annoying feature is the new camera placement, it is EXTREMELY close to you now and I mean EXTREMELY close to the point where half the screen is just a blurred picture of leon's jackets (or any character really, even the small Sherry Birkin occupies half the screen). I was forced to stick with dual wielding since it takes the camera back to it's RE4 position (the best position really). It was frustrating tying to aim down sights with such a limited view.

The cover system is overall the worst system I ever saw. Even Resident Evil's 5 last minute addition of a cover system was superior. This one is clumsy and forces you out of cover just to aim your gun where you have to go through the entire process of finding your way back in cover again (sometimes you fight controls more than you fight zombies). The dodge mechanic is also somewhat annoying and not nearly as well developed as in other games (mass effect, gears of war, etc.) as Sherry Birkin I got caught by J'avo more times than I could count since I spent 5 seconds trying to figure out why I wasn't dodging properly, and usually I am very proficient at game controls, picking up an entirely new game and learning it within the minute. I was STILL having troubles by the time I went to Sherry's part of the demo (I went in order, Leon, Chris then Sherry).

The controls are the same as in RE5 but so many new additions plus the larger field of view of the player character really hampers it. I guess one could make the argument of a horror game needing bad controls...if this where horror.

Gameplay

Leons: Arguably the most boring despite having the best premise. Zombies in a town. You spend the entire demo going forward in an extremely linear fashion, unable to shoot or even run (there is no run button anymore) up until you find an old coughing man and his heavily damaged daughter (hmm open wounds and coughing during a VIRAL OUTBREAK...nahh those guys aren't infected at all right leon?) I wasted all my ammo before any real fighting started shooting down balloons in the reception area. Normally no ammo = big problem but this was not the case. The moment zombies showed up (and they showed up in large numbers) I destroyed them all with the new melee system.

Oh and the HUD deserves it's own paragraph. Whoever designed that HUD and inventory system needs to burn in a fire and never design ANYTHING ever again. I wouldn't wish such horrible designs on my enemies. It's overly complicated, ugly, hard to really see what you want and completely different in Chris' scenario (Leon and Sherry share the same HUD, Start screen and inventory design, Chris has an entire new layout. Even the options/quit game/settings design is completely different). I understand they wanted a minimalist design, but this was an awful way to go about it.

You can now melee and combo just by tapping the right trigger button (without aiming down your sights) making melee an extremely easy feat. In what took Helena to down a single zombie with her pistol I cleared an entire room by mashing the RT button as fast as I could wiping out and obliterating everything in my path. Other than "OH MY GOD BE SCARED PLAYER BECAUSE LIGHTNING AND THAT SHADOW AND THAT BALLOON POPPED BY ITSELF OOOOOHHHHH SCARY HORROR SCARY!" it felt like it was trying to be the classic RE games. It sets a beautiful atmosphere that's ruined by the linearity and cinematography of it all. Your not scared because you know that nothing will hurt you, this is not a gameplay segment therefore nothing can hurt you. This part of the demo was more of a playable movie than a game.

Then we have Leon's personality which once again took a 180 degree turn. From the super sarcastic, smartass and rude Leon from RE4 that would constantly scoff in enemies faces we are introduced to a much more serious, gloomy Leon that's all about the doom and gloom. It makes little sense in the character development process as it doesn't feel natural at all, just "oh noez leon has to be more serious to make our drama/horror work better". From RE2 to RE4 to Degeneration to RE6 Leon has just swapped personalities.

Chris:

I'll admit, I LOVED what they did with Chris. The first 5 minutes alone where so amazing I was contemplating buying this used, no joke Chris by far has the best character development in the series (hell he's the ONLY character with actually decent character development). Now as a drunk hobo (not really a hobo but still a drunk) whose left the BSAA I really enjoy the direction Capcom took Chris in. His character is so good I am definitely youtubing his segment of the game the moment someone puts it online.

I'm not even going to talk about the ridiculousness that is the dodge and cover mechanics. I'd much rather have a blatant rip-off of Gears, that way it would actually be useful. Hell RE5 had better dodge/cover mechanics and those where clearly an afterthought unlike this one.

The problem with melee also applied here, I just spent the entire demo bullrushing all the terrorists Chinese people/terrorists and punching them in the face. Only time I didn't bullrush opponents where the flying B.O.W.'s from RE5 (well they aren't the same B.O.W.'s from RE5 but they are almost exactly like them in every way imaginable, except they aren't. Kind of like how Ganados/Majini are completely and totally different). I was also figuring out the inventory and switching weapons but in no time I was raping them, though I won't talk much about difficulty since demos are usually always on the standard normal mode (and I always play on the hardest available mode) but the whole melee system is extremely abusable now. Hell it was abusable in RE5, now it's just overpowered and broke on anything except very large enemies.

Sherry

Ironically enough Sherry's and Jakes segment featured very little, if any melee at all. Mainly because your fighting J'avo. J'avo is supposed to feel like Nemesis but the entire chase event felt so scripted unlike the more random encounters of Nemesis who could at any point show up just to ruin your day. But he was surprisingly very difficult, and do to the terrible dodge mechanics it was very tugh to keep away from him. I don't have much to say here that I didn't already say in the other two's so I guess I'll leave it at that.

What was supposed to be the most interesting segment of the demo turned out to be the most disappointing (Leons and Sherry segments) and what seemed to be the worst of the demo turned out to be surprisingly good (well the story anyways for Chris. The gameplay was bland, bland, and bland).

---

After Dragons Dogma I actually thought Capcom was back on track but then I played this demo and realize that DD was nothing more than a fluke (and Itsuno being one of Capcoms last AAA developers, if he leaves then Capcom is truly *bleep*ed). RE6 just seems to be uninteresting overall, the only part that has me sold is Chris' story and JUST the story, everything else can suck it since it's so boring. I didn't even feel any excitement at all when running from J'avo due to how scripted it was.

If you loved RE5 you'll probably dig this game, if your looking for any, even a tiny scrap of survival/horror then look elsewhere because Capcom themselves said they have no interest in that crap.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go wash out this extremely sour taste left in my mind with some Fallout New Vegas Ultimate and Dragon's Dogma.

Author:   haalyle
Date:   Jul 06, 12 at 12:08am (PST)
quote Ded Valve
Then we have Leon's personality which once again took a 180 degree turn. From the super sarcastic, smartass and rude Leon from RE4 that would constantly scoff in enemies faces we are introduced to a much more serious, gloomy Leon that's all about the doom and gloom. It makes little sense in the character development process as it doesn't feel natural at all, just "oh noez leon has to be more serious to make our drama/horror work better". From RE2 to RE4 to Degeneration to RE6 Leon has just swapped personalities.

If you loved RE5 you'll probably dig this game, if your looking for any, even a tiny scrap of survival/horror then look elsewhere because Capcom themselves said they have no interest in that crap.
I am now certain, not to get this game.
I am just going to stick to RE4 and play G rated games from now on!

I did not like RE5 and I still haven't finished it, oh well, probably never get around to it.

Date:   Jul 06, 12 at 10:38am (PST)
I'm fairly certain everyone in this game was super depressed. Then again, it is just the demo. Maybe their bright senses of humor will show up later!

No pause was the worst thing ever.

Author:   HunterKiller666
Date:   Jul 06, 12 at 11:08am (PST)
Are there any improvements to the co-op at all?

Date:   Jul 06, 12 at 11:28am (PST)
HunterKiller666 Not really. In solo, you can direct your partner around a bit, but the controls for that are a bit awkward.

Author:   Agent Mo
Date:   Jul 06, 12 at 11:37am (PST)
Please tell me the command system from RE5 is still there. Half of the fun was merging 'I need a can of first aid spray' and 'Go!' to make Sheva say 'I need to go!'

Date:   Jul 07, 12 at 9:06am (PST)
quote Agent Mo
Please tell me the command system from RE5 is still there. Half of the fun was merging 'I need a can of first aid spray' and 'Go!' to make Sheva say 'I need to go!'
Its gone i believe but you can still say help when your in danger or annoyungly call out to them when your waiting to kick down a door.

Date:   Jul 07, 12 at 9:08am (PST)
quote HunterKiller666
Are there any improvements to the co-op at all?
You can no longer spam come on...thats an imptovement i guess

EDIT: Ignore the double post and spelling, blackberry has the most retarded keyboard in existence.

Author:   EricF
Date:   Jul 08, 12 at 1:03pm (PST)
No real pause menu? What is the practical purpose of this? That doesn't make it any more of a horror, it's just silly. Good review though, RabidChinaGirl. Nice work.

Date:   Jul 09, 12 at 9:06am (PST)
quote Ded Valve
You can no longer spam come on...thats an imptovement i guess
That definitely is an improvement. I absolutely dreaded playing with noobs who spammed "come on" every *bleep*ing second.

Date:   Jul 09, 12 at 9:15am (PST)
I didnt plsy online so maybe rabidchinagirl can fill me in but there is no wsy to trade equipment right? I couldnt for the life of me figure out how to trade crap with my partner

Date:   Jul 09, 12 at 10:48am (PST)
You can swap/give stuff to your partner both online and offline in RE5. If you equip an item you get the option to hand it over when you are close to your partner. Otherwise you can pull up the inventory, select the item, and pick the option to give. In fact, you can even request items by opening up your partner's inventory.

Author:   Agent Mo
Date:   Jul 09, 12 at 1:53pm (PST)
quote HunterKiller666
You can swap/give stuff to your partner both online and offline in RE5. If you equip an item you get the option to hand it over when you are close to your partner. Otherwise you can pull up the inventory, select the item, and pick the option to give. In fact, you can even request items by opening up your partner's inventory.
I think Ded Valve was talking about RE6

Date:   Jul 09, 12 at 5:33pm (PST)
Whoever designed the blackberry phone congratulations, I officially hate you more than Capcom now.

But yeah I was talking about RE6, I'd play again to try again but PFFFFTTTAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. No.

Also the partner system is more like Revelations, i.e. useless. Your partner doesn't do too much damage to enemies, they don't hold you back, they don't waste your resources, they will help you out now and again but other than that they are just a chunk of meat that waits for a human to control them. Well at least it's better than Revelations on the fact that you actually CAN have a human controlled partner (the partner system in Revelations was by far the most useless thing in gaming).

So yeah the partner is extremely improved over Sheva but you don't really feel like you have a partner there when it's an AI controlling it (despite the fact that they will never shut up...EVER. The amount of unnecessary banter in this game is worse than in Revelations). I was hoping they would actually make it so that you would have to take care of each other more like in RE5 but now it feels more like 2 single-player experiences put together, and despite my gripes with RE5 I liked how you could share crap with your partner, even if the game wasn't designed around co-op.

Other than that PIERS NEVANS <3
He's the new Chris Redfield.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.