Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Moderator Requests Q&A - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/56/t1739990-moderator-requests/

Author:   Dynamite
Date:   Jun 15, 12 at 9:11pm (PST)
Subject:   Moderator Requests Q&A
-------------------------------------------
Hey guys!

As you may have noticed, we have re-launched the moderator requests process. As a result, you can now apply to become a moderator here on Neoseeker and let us know that you're interested in volunteering to help out!

The Moderator Requests NeoWiki page provides all of the details you need to know in order to use the new system. This thread is for any questions or queries you may have regarding the system or the moderator selection process itself.

While anyone may answer queries posted here, and we're grateful to anyone willing to help out, please note that any answers should only be considered authoritative if coming from a super moderator or a category moderator as these two teams of people are directly involved in the processing of applications.

Thanks! We hope that you find our new system a little more interactive and accessible than the previous. Good luck with your applications!
- Tiffany

Author:   Jonathancf
Date:   Jun 16, 12 at 6:43am (PST)
Subject:   re: Moderator Requests Q&A
Dynamite I have one question, how do I know if the application went through?

Date:   Jun 16, 12 at 7:51am (PST)
Hi jonathancf.

After submitting an application you will get an error message like the below:

That means your application was submitted successfully. Unfortunately though you missed this bit:
Not Already Moderated: Applications for boards that are already moderated will always be rejected straight away. Situations that call for additional co-moderators to be added to already moderated boards are handled internally.
We do not process applications for moderated forums, sorry.

Take care.

Author:   Jonathancf
Date:   Jun 16, 12 at 8:33am (PST)
Dynamite It's ok, Thank you for the response though.

Author:   Anonymous Reborn
Date:   Jun 16, 12 at 7:44pm (PST)
Dynamite
Would there be a higher chance of acceptance if the applicant is a moderator/administrator of another community?

For example, I am currently a server admin for this particular community.

Date:   Jun 16, 12 at 7:46pm (PST)
Anonymous Reborn There's no harm in mentioning any other experience that you have elsewhere which you think is relevant. Primarily though we're looking for what you've done for our communities in your time here.

Date:   Jun 16, 12 at 7:52pm (PST)
quote Dynamite
Anonymous Reborn There's no harm in mentioning any other experience that you have elsewhere which you think is relevant. Primarily though we're looking for what you've done for our communities in your time here.
I think you might have misunderstood. I was saying would people with more experience (being an admin/mod), have a higher chance of being accepted.

Date:   Jun 16, 12 at 8:09pm (PST)
Hey Anonymous Reborn.

Actually, I didn't misunderstand at all and attempted to address those points. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my reply and I apologize if that was the case.

Essentially what I am saying is that we take all factors into consideration and showing us you have experience elsewhere would be of interest to us. It isn't likely to sway a decision from a "no" to a "yes" though. As I said, primarily we are focused on your posts and conduct on Neoseeker and that is what we'll be going by when taking a decision. Anything else like experience elsewhere is only of cursory interest to us.

Ultimately we're looking for the right person for the particular forum we're reviewing. In order to gauge that a heavy focus is placed on your posts within the community you're applying to moderate and your general site conduct. These are the factors that make up our minds ultimately and anything else aside from these factors are just seen as bonuses, but unlikely to sway the decision heavily or even at all.

I hope this elaboration more fully answers your question. Feel free to ask for further clarification if needed.

Date:   Jun 16, 12 at 8:29pm (PST)
Dynamite, I have no more further questions, and thanks!

Author:   haalyle
Date:   Jun 16, 12 at 11:13pm (PST)
Dynamite How many times can you request?

Date:   Jun 16, 12 at 11:31pm (PST)
Hello haalyle.

There's no real "limit" on the number of applications you can submit, within reason. We'd not expect tons of applications from a single user within a short space of time as that would indicate to us they weren't really committed to the boards they were applying for and just applying for stuff merely to get onto the moderator roster rather than having a genuine interest to help out. If pressed for a ballpark figure, practically speaking I'd say people should probably not be submitting more than 1-2 applications per month.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask for further clarification if needed.

Take care.
- Tiffany

Author:   haalyle
Date:   Jun 16, 12 at 11:33pm (PST)
Thank you Dynamite

I only have basically two forums that I've requested for, not really thinking I will get a place though.

Thanks very much.

Author:   Whelan
Date:   Jun 17, 12 at 1:01am (PST)
With these requests, does this mean that some current mods will be getting the boot? From what I've seen is that quite a lot of members say that they're applying and like hypothetically speaking if they all get the mod spot, there's going to be a crazy amount of mods on this site. You could say that's because there's load of forums and stuff, butt not many have higher than like a 20 PPD anyway.

And generally when you surf Neo, there's already a high amount of mods posting in forums (except Pokeforums) like Loungin' which looks intimidating, sort of.

I've probably just rambled on pointless crap but basically are people getting the !sack

Date:   Jun 17, 12 at 1:39am (PST)
Whelan: Moderators retain their positions based on their performance. We're not going to start removing moderators that we're otherwise happy with purely to "make room" for new ones, no. We're not limited to a set number of moderators in total and we're not concerned regarding the number we have at this time.

That said we do not particularly envisage a spike in the number of moderators promoted as a result of this new system compared with previous methods. It certainly would be big leap even to "hypothetically" assume all of those expressing interest in applying and doing so would all be promoted. Reality is so far away from that scenario that basing concerns off of it isn't something I recommend.

Author:   Emberguard
Date:   Jun 17, 12 at 4:47am (PST)
Wait, the request system is back? Sweet

When I first came to neo it had been taken down for quite a while, I was wondering, any idea how long it'll last this time?

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.