Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Opinion: How do you think this game will be received by the press and fans? - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/55620/t1728998-opinion-how-you-think-this-game-received-by-press-fans/

Author:   Guildenstern8
Date:   Apr 15, 12 at 12:22pm (PST)
Subject:   Opinion: How do you think this game will be received by the press and fans?
-------------------------------------------
We got three Growlanser games in west: Growlanser Generations (a two games pack with gl2 and gl3) and Heritage of War. The first game was highly evaluated, earned a 81 in metacritic and got some very interesting reviews:
"Hours of deep strategic gameplay, excellent music and interesting stories (particularly in "The Dual Darkness' chapter of the saga) make Growlanser Generations a keeper for RPG strategists in need of a noggin-shaking fix."
keep in mind the freak that wrote that gave the game a 7.0 because of its poor graphics.
Heritage of War, on the other hand, not so much:
"With an extremely weak story, annoying battle system and bland visuals, Growlanser: Heritage of War is perhaps the most disappointing chapter in the franchise.". It scored 60 in metacritic.

I think it was daveyd that said the first localized game sold 10x better then the last, i assume that those reviews influenced that a little. This game is facing a dificult situation, its being released at the end of psp life cycle, it features 2d graphics and anime style (that westerns consider a satan these days) and the only advertisement its getting is Jabari entry on his blog. On the other hand, the game plays well on vita, many fans consider it the best in the series, it got a fair ammount of new content and its getting released in multiple channels (like PSN). So, how do you guys think this game will do in the middle of all that mess?

Author:   daveyd
Date:   Apr 15, 12 at 12:42pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Opinion: How do you think this game will be received by the press and fans?
Good question Guildenstern8. I think fans of Growlanser and JRPGs in general will love this game, but the professional reviews really depend on the reviewer. I hear the game is rather difficult in places (of course you can grind to make it easier) but the game could potentially be criticized for being difficult. If the reviewer is actually a fan of JRPGs and likes "old school" 2D graphics or is willing to look past them, the game could score quite well. I don't expect this game to get 95% even though it probably deserves it, but I sure hope it gets fair reviews.

If gaming site reviews are bad, then it will be that much more important for the fans to post our reviews everywhere we can.

Author:   kratoscar2011
Date:   Apr 15, 12 at 4:20pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Opinion: How do you think this game will be received by the press and fans?
quote daveyd
Good question Guildenstern8. I think fans of Growlanser and JRPGs in general will love this game, but the professional reviews really depend on the reviewer. I hear the game is rather difficult in places (of course you can grind to make it easier) but the game could potentially be criticized for being difficult. If the reviewer is actually a fan of JRPGs and likes "old school" 2D graphics or is willing to look past them, the game could score quite well. I don't expect this game to get 95% even though it probably deserves it, but I sure hope it gets fair reviews.

If gaming site reviews are bad, then it will be that much more important for the fans to post our reviews everywhere we can.
yes, professional reviewers can be the reason why Grow WoT will not fare well since there are much people that are dumb enough to discard this game just for that, i dont get the love for 3d games as 2d games like BlazBlue are more awesome that lets say Marvel vs Capcom 3.

As Guildenstern8 said and as i point out in my review the Anime style of the game could drive away some people. I at least espect that this game will get scores around 8.5 and 9, if the reviewer is objective if not then this game will still be considered as niche.

Author:   CoarseDragon
Date:   Apr 16, 12 at 5:24pm (PST)
The game being fairly old graphic wise will be a draw back for professional reviewers coupled with the fact that it will be on a smaller screen will probably lower the review scores to about 7.5 maybe 8.

True fans of the series will buy the game regardless of reviews (I know I will ) but those looking for a new game to play and not being familiar with the series itself will probably pass but we hope they look for more information on the game. Fortunately there is not much competition in July (so far). If we can get the word out and get people here hopefully we can convince them the game is better than the reviews and increase sales.

Date:   Apr 24, 12 at 9:19am (PST)
quote CoarseDragon
The game being fairly old graphic wise will be a draw back for professional reviewers coupled with the fact that it will be on a smaller screen will probably lower the review scores to about 7.5 maybe 8.

True fans of the series will buy the game regardless of reviews (I know I will ) but those looking for a new game to play and not being familiar with the series itself will probably pass but we hope they look for more information on the game. Fortunately there is not much competition in July (so far). If we can get the word out and get people here hopefully we can convince them the game is better than the reviews and increase sales.
I'm going to be so mad if "professional" reviewers give it a low score simply because of dated graphics. IMO graphics shouldn't even affect the overall rating / score unless they're so bad they actually detract from the gameplay. Reviews should focus on gameplay, story, etc., but not something I can tell on my own by looking at screenshots or trailers.

Actually I'm wondering whether a lot of the big sites will even bother to review a PSP game in 2012. Most sites have PSP listed somewhere under Vita at this point. RPGamer did a preview of Gungnir recently so hopefully they will cover WoT soon.

Author:   kratoscar2011
Date:   Apr 24, 12 at 11:18am (PST)
quote daveyd
quote CoarseDragon

I'm going to be so mad if "professional" reviewers give it a low score simply because of dated graphics. IMO graphics shouldn't even affect the overall rating / score unless they're so bad they actually detract from the gameplay. Reviews should focus on gameplay, story, etc., but not something I can tell on my own by looking at screenshots or trailers.

Actually I'm wondering whether a lot of the big sites will even bother to review a PSP game in 2012. Most sites have PSP listed somewhere under Vita at this point. RPGamer did a preview of Gungnir recently so hopefully they will cover WoT soon.
we can only hope for a good review for Growlanser Wayfarer of time, i think a video preview can really give away any score that the reviewers give to Grow (If its bad of course).

Author:   Guildenstern8
Date:   Apr 28, 12 at 6:49pm (PST)
Hmm, ive talked with quite a few people about this game. Apparently, there are many people waiting for it. Growlanser kinda fits this gen trend of polished "srpgs", in fact, quite a few people see Gungnir as an appetizer for this @_@...

Date:   Apr 29, 12 at 4:51pm (PST)
quote Guildenstern8
Hmm, ive talked with quite a few people about this game. Apparently, there are many people waiting for it. Growlanser kinda fits this gen trend of polished "srpgs", in fact, quite a few people see Gungnir as an appetizer for this @_@...
That's great that you're finding lots of interest in WoT. Reading comments on IGN's post of the intro video, it seems lots of anime fans seem willing to give them game a shot just based off the art (which I'm not going to complain about), but it makes me sad when I see people react to the intro movie by saying they're not interested because they think the art is too generic / dated, etc.. I would never base the decision on whether or not to buy a game just on the art / graphics. Atlus really needs to make a game play trailer like they did with Game of Thrones.

Last night I decided to list pre-orders game on eBay since no one else was selling it. A guy in France already bought one from me today. I may end up losing a couple bucks after eBay's fees but its worth it to me to help someone get a copy of this game.

Date:   May 01, 12 at 12:14pm (PST)
quote daveyd
quote Guildenstern8
That's great that you're finding lots of interest in WoT. Reading comments on IGN's post of the intro video, it seems lots of anime fans seem willing to give them game a shot just based off the art (which I'm not going to complain about), but it makes me sad when I see people react to the intro movie by saying they're not interested because they think the art is too generic / dated, etc.. I would never base the decision on whether or not to buy a game just on the art / graphics. Atlus really needs to make a game play trailer like they did with Game of Thrones.

Last night I decided to list pre-orders game on eBay since no one else was selling it. A guy in France already bought one from me today. I may end up losing a couple bucks after eBay's fees but its worth it to me to help someone get a copy of this game.
I don't base my opinion of a game based on graphics either but sadly many people do, reviewers in particular. I really like the artwork in the Growlanser series which is one reason I like the game.

If you take a look at the new Disgaea 3 game for the Vita you will notice that it only gets 7 or 7.5 reviews even though the game has all the DLC from the other version. Problem is, as I see it, we can expect the same review numbers and that alone might turn people off buying the game. I hope not I'd love to have the other games in the series localized, but I expect this game to sell about 60K copies by the end of the year then trickle off. That is just about what it did in Japan. Whether that is enough for Atlus to bring more Growlanser games I don't know.

Date:   May 02, 12 at 7:26am (PST)
quote CoarseDragon
I don't base my opinion of a game based on graphics either but sadly many people do, reviewers in particular. I really like the artwork in the Growlanser series which is one reason I like the game.

If you take a look at the new Disgaea 3 game for the Vita you will notice that it only gets 7 or 7.5 reviews even though the game has all the DLC from the other version. Problem is, as I see it, we can expect the same review numbers and that alone might turn people off buying the game. I hope not I'd love to have the other games in the series localized, but I expect this game to sell about 60K copies by the end of the year then trickle off. That is just about what it did in Japan. Whether that is enough for Atlus to bring more Growlanser games I don't know.
From some recent twitter posts, it appears one of the editor's on RPGamer is a big Growlanser fan so here's to hoping he does a review I wonder how much choice gaming sites generally give their staff over which games they get to review...

Just from reading a little bit about the plot & characters from Growlanser I, I now want to play that game even more. I really hope WoT can sell well enough to convince Atlus to bring over G1 PSP. If not, I guess I'll just have to import it and make due with the fan trasnlation guide. Precarious World (VI) obviously isn't coming over any time soon, unless Atlus Japan ports it to the Vita.

Date:   May 02, 12 at 12:17pm (PST)
quote daveyd
quote CoarseDragon

From some recent twitter posts, it appears one of the editor's on RPGamer is a big Growlanser fan so here's to hoping he does a review I wonder how much choice gaming sites generally give their staff over which games they get to review...

Just from reading a little bit about the plot & characters from Growlanser I, I now want to play that game even more. I really hope WoT can sell well enough to convince Atlus to bring over G1 PSP. If not, I guess I'll just have to import it and make due with the fan trasnlation guide. Precarious World (VI) obviously isn't coming over any time soon, unless Atlus Japan ports it to the Vita.
I'm trying. I have three on pre-order. One for me, one for my friend and one to keep sealed.

I would really love to see the entire series localized but especially VI that would be the best.

Edit:

Looking around on RPGamer I found two [link name=reviews]http://www.rpgamer.com/pointsofview/archive/archive.cgi?mode=view_game&gUnfortunatelynk].

Quite the wide range of review numbers. Read them both and see what the differences are between the two. I sort of expect the same for Wayfarer of Time.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.