Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: [QUIZ] The Impossibly Hard Football Manager Elimination Quiz - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/55050/t1759546-quiz-impossibly-hard-football-manager-elimination-quiz/

Author:   Modiga
Date:   Sep 11, 12 at 6:20am (PST)
Subject:   [QUIZ] The Impossibly Hard Football Manager Elimination Quiz
-------------------------------------------
The Impossibly Hard Football Manager Elimination Quiz

I thought it would probably be a good idea to get a FM related quiz going on around here. Following the start of Andy Jay's quiz in the football forum, I've been thinking of doing a similar style quiz except with the obvious FM style theme. About once a week (hopefully I won't fall behind with stuff like my Masters starting soon and things like that) I will post a question sheet with four rounds and sometimes there might be a missing link as well.

48 hours before the beginning of each round I shall notify everyone to specify which category they would like to place a joker. This joker will give you double points for the category (including any bonus points that might be available). But you will only be given the category title to help you choose where to put the joker. If you fail to place your joker before the questions are revealed then it will placed on your lowest scoring category afterwards.

In terms of timings and all, it will roughly go like this (specific days may vary):

>> Round _ categories revealed
>> 48 hours to choose joker
>> Questions revealed
>> 2-4 days to send in answers

When the categories are announced, the amount of points available for the round shall also be revealed (but be aware that more points might not necessarily mean you should place the joker there).

What you can also do is if you feel you've placed the joker unwisely then you can revoke it (removing the double points) and instead get an extra clue for each question in the category.

Onto the elimination, the following structure shall be used (roughly, might change slightly):

-- Round 1: No elimination
-- Round 2: No elimination
-- Round 3-9: Elimination
-- Round 10: Final three

Depending on how many people sign up will determine the amount of people eliminated each round. If you sign up but do not post answers to Round 1&2 you shall be removed from the quiz. Playoff questions shall be provided if necessary. For the first elimination, the total scores from rounds 1-3 shall be used, afterwards the scores reset for each round.

Big rules:

- No google (although a lot should be ungoogleable)
- You cannot use FM to search through things (unless stated that you can)

NOW ONLY SIGN UP IF YOU CAN BE COMMITTED TO THE QUIZ!

Round 1 Categories: Name the player (5 points), Title winners (5 points), Missing men (4 points), Missing teams (4 points)

In
Round 1 Joker:

Any questions? Just ask

Subject:   re: [QUIZ] The Impossibly Hard Football Manager Elimination Quiz
Round 1 Scores:
Skadoosh		13
IcarusAbides 12
liverpooljohn88 10
CupidStunt 10
parmar1993 9
afcbJamie 9
roger23 8
Maski 8
ho1mesy2011 8
YidArmy617 7
simeon88 7
LegendOfNufc 7
lloyd 7
Crowy 7
harbin91 6
blueboy123 6
justplayingitcool 5
jmg_95 5
shandy 4
Drachbo 4
Andy4EFC 4
11kgm 4

Round 2 Scores:
Skadoosh		26
shandy 24
harbin91 22
liverpooljohn88 20
CupidStunt 18
Maski 15
ho1mesy2011 13
parmar1993 11
LegendOfNufc 11
blueboy123 11
11kgm 11
Crowy 10
jmg_95 9
roger23 8
justplayingitcool 8
Drachbo 8
afcbJamie 7
IcarusAbides 7
YidArmy617 6
lloyd 5
simeon88 0
Andy4EFC 0

Standings so far:
Skadoosh		39
liverpooljohn88 30
CupidStunt 28
harbin91 28
shandy 28
Maski 23
ho1mesy2011 21
parmar1993 20
IcarusAbides 19
LegendOfNufc 18
Crowy 17
blueboy123 17
afcbJamie 16
roger23 16
11kgm 15
jmg_95 14
YidArmy617 13
justplayingitcool 13
-----ELIMINATION ZONE------
lloyd 12
Drachbo 12
simeon88 7
Andy4EFC 4

Round 1

All but one got Torres and everyone got Fellaini. The keeper was a toughy but if you knew FM enough you could see it was the sort of midtable good keeper type stats. (Someone put a not PL keeper, clue in the question). Carlos Tevez was the hardest as most people fell into the Rooney trap, unfortunately Rooney is accomplished as an AMC. Well done to those who got that one and special mention to Skadoosh who got 10 points, for getting all of them along with playing the joking here.

I will admit to saying this was a very hard round and it was about seeing the patterns in the other teams final positions. The main thing was guessing which Manchester club underperformed in the first couple of seasons. The third question was probably the hardest (even though Liverpool winning the 4th is hard to imagine I know) because Man City finish outside the top four in the first two seasons (unless you thought they won it those years). To get the Liverpool one you have to trust their previous three seasons.

Probably the hardest round involving the most guess work. The main thing was that you had two clues to work out the answer. Most of you probably just used the one clue of the position in the team but another major clue was to look at the shirt number and to see where in the squad this player probably was. Not an easy round and only one person got two of them correct (liverpooljohn88).

You had to have a good knowledge of La Liga just to know which teams were missing in general. It was definitely a round of two easier and one much harder team. Trusting that Athletic and Malaga hadn't been relegated got two easier marks but the much harder relegation battling side of Sporting made the job of getting the bonus point pretty difficult. But congratulations go to afcbJamie for getting all of those correct.

------------------------------------------
Round 2

An obvious round in what you had to do. What helped majorly with this week's set of question is that if you got the missing link or something close enough to the link then it narrowed down the possible answers. Most of you could tell it was Fabregas on the right. Now for the spikey hair there was asplit for two answers; David Villa or Cristiano Ronaldo. It was the latter. The left side created a few more difficulties but for some of you there was enough to show you that it was Robinho. The hardest part was picking a long haired player for the last part. Only thee people managed to work out it was Ibrahimovic and of those three, shandy and Skadoosh managed to get them all right with Skadoosh gaining ten points this round for using his joker.

I enjoyed this round. All but one got the first one as Rafa Benitez; a Spanish speaking man who likes Liverpool, easy right. Then there's Leslie; Leslie, Leslie, Leslie. To be honest, most of you knew who the answer was through your own knowledge. But take away the Leslie and there are still a few clues such as Craig Bellamy and having been a well capped player to know that it is Mark Hughes who has the mystery first name. The last one was just general knowledge on knowing where a manager had been with Real Madrid probably being the biggest clue. A lot of you got full marks and too many to bother listing you out. Well done.

A round with most people getting two or three answers correct. The main striker seemed to be choosing between Huntelaar and van Persie. The squad number most likely the best clue here (along with the Missing Link). The Link was not so useful for the other answers with the AMC potentially between van der Vaart or Sneijder. The main clue here, once again, was the squad number. Most of you got the winger to be Robben (with a couple of Afellays here and there). Pretty easy round which I'm disappointed with myself for not making harder. Once again a lot of you got full marks so no point sending the bragging rights out.

The pattern here seemed to be two easy answers, an average answer and a very difficult answer. It seemed to be the round for regretting placing the joker with a few revokes being used. I was surprised to see most of you get Michael Owen; guess that's either from knowing his international knowledge or picking the few English players who have basic spanish. The history of Jose Antonio Reyes seemed to also be an easy one for most of you. A lot of you realised the fourth one was a Malaga player but it was a split between Baptista and Cazorla. Surprised to see people go for the latter as he's not near 29 yet. The third one most definitely the hardest question this week (with the Missing Link potentially throwing you off as well). The stats seem to give a Spanish midfielder type player which is exactly what Mikel Arteta is. Two members got all correct; CupidStunt got them with the help of a revoked Joker while 11kgm got them all through his own knowledge.

A lot of you gave answers close to what it was (and I accepted people who said they had played for either team; Arteta never played for Barcelona but was at the club as a kid) and six of you managed to give me the missing link. Well done to you guys.

------------------------------------------
Round 3

Author:   Drachbo
Date:   Sep 11, 12 at 6:30am (PST)
This seem like an entertaining idea, and I would gladly participate. If interpreted correctly, I'll place my joker when the categories have been announced so I'll keeping an eye on this and get back to you at that time.

Date:   Sep 11, 12 at 6:32am (PST)
quote Drachbo
This seem like an entertaining idea, and I would gladly participate. If interpreted correctly, I'll place my joker when the categories have been announced so I'll keeping an eye on this and get back to you at that time.
The round 1 categories are just above the sign up sheet

Author:   Crowy
Date:   Sep 11, 12 at 6:34am (PST)
In
Round 1 Joker: Missing teams

Author:   Drachbo
Date:   Sep 11, 12 at 6:35am (PST)
Ah my bad, my bad. Don't know how I missed that.

In
Round 1 Joker: Missing men

Author:   Ma_sk_i
Date:   Sep 11, 12 at 6:36am (PST)
In
Title WInners

Author:   IcarusAbides
Date:   Sep 11, 12 at 6:52am (PST)
In

Round 1 Joker: Title Winners

Author:   Justplayingitcool
Date:   Sep 11, 12 at 7:02am (PST)
In

Round 1 - title winners

I assume we Pm the answers?

Date:   Sep 11, 12 at 8:02am (PST)
quote justplayingitcool
In

Round 1 - title winners

I assume we Pm the answers?

Nah you post them in the thread for everyone else to see. . . .

Author:   Justplayingitcool
Date:   Sep 11, 12 at 8:11am (PST)
Crowy

I sense sarcasm..

Date:   Sep 11, 12 at 8:15am (PST)
Yeah, sorry. I'm just in one of them sarcastic moods.

Yeah we do PM the answers.

Author:   liverpooljohn88
Date:   Sep 11, 12 at 8:16am (PST)
In
Round 1 Joker: Title Winners

Author:   KillaAshley
Date:   Sep 11, 12 at 8:19am (PST)
In

Round 1 Joker: Missing Teams

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.